Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

They Know Where You Are - Geotags

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

They Know Where You Are - Geotags

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Thu 16 Dec 2010, 16:16:08

Cristina Parker loves taking pictures with her smart phone.

"I like to take a lot of photos of my dog and post them on twitter. Um, I think she's really cute. Also my friends and family," Parker said.

But one day she got an ominous tweet from the website IcanstalkU.com telling her they know where she lives.

"I thought it was a little scary," she said. "They were accurate to my location from my house. So my immediate response was, 'what happened, how do you know where I am?'"

Turns out, Parker's photos contained GPS information called "Geotags," embedded by her smart phone.

Every time she posted a photo online that she took with her phone, she was inadvertently giving out her whereabouts.

"And the location can be as accurate as plus/minus one meter, depending on the reception of the GPS signal of the device you're using," Gerald Friedland said.

Gerald Friedland of Berkeley's International Computer Science Institute co-authored a study on the privacy implications of geotagging. The findings: most people had no idea what they were posting online.

"There's enough information out there that you can actually track people and do potential harm to them," he said.

And that's exactly what Larry Pesce wants to warn people about. He co-founded IcanstalkU.com to alert people after he discovered a photo of his child revealed her location. And it can happen to others.

"For example, let's take a picture of your nice brand new 50 inch plasma TV at your house and you're now sharing the location of that TV and an hour later you're posting a photograph from a 711 and now we know that you're not home," Pesce said.

In addition to potential robberies, Pesce says geotagged photos open up the possibility of stalking and domestic violence. And you don't have to be some expert to get the information.

"Just about anybody that can operate a computer and do a few right clicks could find out someone's location," he said.

link

Now, we love Twitter and posting photos of our lunch, however, we don't feel that enough people realize what kind of data they are posting, albeit inadvertantly. By posting this information, they are allowing their movements to be recorded and analyized by anyone: from a government to a nosy neighbor. After analyzing your photos, someone could find out:

Where you live
Who else lives there
Your commuting patterns
Where you go for lunch each day
Who you go to lunch with
Why you and your attactive co-worker really like to visit a certain nice restaurant on a regular basis

Among many other things! I think that most people if they realized they were posting exactly where they were each time they clicked "send" on their phone to post a photo to Twitter they would stop doing it at all! Which is why we are doing this: To make people aware that they are posting this information when they are sending out photos and giving them options on how to disable that functionality. By making this information public, we are attempting to get enough exposure to the problem so that we can start to curb its continued use.

link

Since 2005, all cell phones and handheld devices like Blackberry, have been required by law to be geotagged.

1984 - Spirit
Last edited by Cid_Yama on Thu 16 Dec 2010, 16:56:17, edited 1 time in total.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: They Know Where You Are - Geotags

Unread postby careinke » Thu 16 Dec 2010, 16:51:48

Nice post CID. Thanks for the reminder.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Ludi » Thu 16 Dec 2010, 17:19:57

I'm pretty sure anyone who really cared could find out where I live.

Fortunately, nobody cares. :)
Ludi

Unread postby vision-master » Thu 16 Dec 2010, 17:48:23

Remote ‘kill switch’ added to Intel’s newest processor

Lauded as a security feature, Intel’s new Sandy Bridge processor can be remotely disabled by a hardware/software combination known at Anti-Theft 3.0. Systems can be disabled over 3G networks, even while the OS is not running. Even when the hard drive is replaced, the critical systems will still be terminated.

http://www.infowars.com/remote-kill-swi ... processor/
vision-master

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Fri 17 Dec 2010, 17:41:59

I got a login on CNN news so I could comment on a particularly stupid article.
When I logged in I was presented with a list of 10 CNN articles I had viewed over the last few months.
I guess it was based on my IP address.

EDIT: Today's Dilbert.
Last edited by Keith_McClary on Fri 17 Dec 2010, 21:39:05, edited 1 time in total.
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby mattduke » Fri 17 Dec 2010, 17:45:40

The administration has also asked the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit to reverse its August ruling requiring court warrants to affix GPS devices to vehicles to track their every move. The administration said Americans should expect no privacy “in the totality of his or her movements in public places.”

Obama claims the power to track everyone in the totality of his movements.
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/1 ... e-warrants
mattduke
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Fri 17 Dec 2010, 20:50:46

mattduke wrote:
Americans should expect no privacy “in the totality of his or her movements in public places.”

Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Oakley » Fri 17 Dec 2010, 20:57:19

And you thought there would be no benefit when the electric grid collapses.

All sorts of strange consequences will result when we experience Richard Duncan's "Lights Out".
"The deepest sin against the human mind is to believe things without evidence" Thomas H Huxley
Oakley
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Homesteader » Fri 17 Dec 2010, 21:00:29

mattduke wrote:
The administration has also asked the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit to reverse its August ruling requiring court warrants to affix GPS devices to vehicles to track their every move. The administration said Americans should expect no privacy “in the totality of his or her movements in public places.”

Obama claims the power to track everyone in the totality of his movements.
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/1 ... e-warrants

Wow, they really are preparing for "social friction", aren't they? Wonder what could possibly cause that, with the economy recovering and all. :badgrin:
"The era of procrastination, of half-measures, of soothing and baffling expedients, of delays, is coming to a close. In its place we are entering a period of consequences…"
Sir Winston Churchill

Beliefs are what people fall back on when the facts make them uncomfortable.
Homesteader
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Return to North America Discussion