Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Oil shortages could turn outer suburbs into slums

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Unread postby Graeme » Mon 27 Dec 2010, 11:46:11

AUSTRALIA will be forced to rely on huge quantities of imported oil unless it radically overhauls its transport and urban policies, according to a study by the Planning Institute of Australia.

It warns that without urgent national action the trade deficit will spiral and many outer suburbs will become slums.

The study comprises a series of papers in the latest edition of the journal Australian Planner. One of the authors, Professor Peter Newman of Curtin University, who is also an adviser to the federal government, said the most compelling finding was that ''urban sprawl is finished''. ''If we continue to roll out new land [releases] and suburbs that are car dependent, they will become the slums of the future,'' he said.
Advertisement: Story continues below

Professor Newman, who serves on the board of the federal agency Infrastructure Australia, has begun briefing the Council of Australian Governments on the need to test all future urban development against the potential for an oil shortage.

SMH
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

No one read that article

Unread postby no_wuckin_ferries_mate » Sat 01 Jan 2011, 23:47:31

Hi,

I read that in the papers, too, and thought that might lead to a few conversations about the issue.

No, it did not at all. It seems no one has seen it.

I then thougt I might ask about it, and asked a visitor, a well educated person, school teacher, familiar and worried about climate change, human rights and the lot.

"Peak Oil, no I never heard about that. What does that mean?"

Instead of explaining I decided to say: Nothing too important, just some technical stuff. And we got back to the usual blabla.

I feel like living in a parallel universe.
no_wuckin_ferries_mate
Peat
Peat

Re: Oil shortages could turn outer suburbs into slums

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sun 02 Jan 2011, 00:45:08

8) Reading the article I find it a bit light weight. The policy must be changed! To what?
Other then a mention of a light rail system on the OZ gold coast it puts forward no solutions to the problem other then having government agencies think about oil scarcity before they act. They might need a little more help and direction then that.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Rod_Cloutier » Sun 02 Jan 2011, 12:30:14

This would depend on where the refineries and gas stations are located, relative to where demand is. In Canada, most refineries are located near extraction sites to minimize transportation costs, mostly rural locations. While most gas stations are located in suburbia.

The city I live in had 2 gas stations downtown 10 years ago, now their both gone. If you want to buy gas you have to go to the suburbs. The suburbs are located closer to the highways from the refineries.

Is this different down under?
Rod_Cloutier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sun 02 Jan 2011, 19:01:53

Repent wrote:This would depend on where the refineries and gas stations are located, relative to where demand is. In Canada, most refineries are located near extraction sites to minimize transportation costs, mostly rural locations. While most gas stations are located in suburbia.

The city I live in had 2 gas stations downtown 10 years ago, now their both gone. If you want to buy gas you have to go to the suburbs. The suburbs are located closer to the highways from the refineries.

Is this different down under?

8) The location of gas stations is not the issue. High gas prices will make some suburbs worthless as the cost of driving to and from them each day will cost more then the homeowner makes at his job. he or she will be forced to move to a home that is within walking distance of his job or a rail/bus line that serves it.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Return to Australia & New Zealand Discussion