Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Partial societial breakdown 3 days after blizzard.

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Partial societial breakdown 3 days after blizzard.

Unread postby Novus » Wed 29 Dec 2010, 13:07:48

The media has not been reporting this much but there is probably about 1 million people in central NJ snowed into their homes because roads have not been plowed because the state and local governments ran out of money. On Sunday 3 feet of snow blanketed the area. Many back roads have not been plowed and government has pretty much just given up saying people are on their own. Mayor even put on a phone recording telling people he is sorry but there is no help coming. People can't get to work or go to the store for food because they live have no preps at all and live hand to mouth.

I think this is a real wake up call for some people. Friends and relatives have been calling me saying its' DOOM and end of the world stuff for the first time. Neighbors are a bit freaked out over the whole thing. I am like really it just a little snow wait until you see some real hardship and be thankful the power is still on. Before they were always touting the line the state will do something. I have always been of the position that the state doesn't give crap about you unless they are there to take your money. Where is the state now? People better learn how to take care of them selves and better do it fast is all I have to say.
Novus
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Partial societial breakdown 3 days after blizzard.

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Wed 29 Dec 2010, 13:27:30

Welcome to Libertarian paradise.
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cloud9 » Wed 29 Dec 2010, 13:35:22

In a libertarian paradise you would have no expectation that the state would be running to your personal aid. You would have a couple of weeks of food and fuel on hand, gortex clothing for when the heat goes off, and one of your vehicles would be a four wheeled drive. More than that, you would have more money to buy these things because your taxes wouldn’t be siphoned off to agencies that have been more interested in the new carpets in their office and their pension funds than looking after you.
Cloud9
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Wed 29 Dec 2010, 13:42:02

If it makes you feel any better, Fox News is only talking about how streets in Staten Island are blocked, not how how you are snowed in while Chris Christi vacations in Disney World.
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Hinterlander » Wed 29 Dec 2010, 13:42:38

Novus, Is there a link or two that you could provide for that info? I agree, this story feels rather ominous I would like to read more about it.
Hinterlander

Unread postby Serial_Worrier » Wed 29 Dec 2010, 13:46:48

PrestonSturges wrote:
Cloud9 wrote:In a libertarian paradise you would have no expectation that the state would be running to your personal aid. You would have a couple of weeks of food and fuel on hand, gortex clothing for when the heat goes off, and one of your vehicles would be a four wheeled drive. More than that, you would have more money to buy these things because your taxes wouldn’t be siphoned off to agencies that have been more interested in the new carpets in their office and their pension funds than looking after you.
Blah-blah-blah-blah

So instead of trying to refute his points, you just ridicule.
Serial_Worrier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Novus » Wed 29 Dec 2010, 13:51:44

Not really a libertarian paradise because there were too many altruists about helping the people without the means to take care of themselves. People checking on the elderly and such. That is unacceptable to libertarians. There would need to be frozen bodies of the weak laying in the road for this to be a libertarian paradise.

@hinterlander. As I wrote in the OP the media is not covering this so no links available.
Novus
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Daniel_Plainview » Wed 29 Dec 2010, 13:59:40

Cloud9 wrote:In a libertarian paradise you would have no expectation that the state would be running to your personal aid. You would have a couple of weeks of food and fuel on hand, gortex clothing for when the heat goes off, and one of your vehicles would be a four wheeled drive. More than that, you would have more money to buy these things because your taxes wouldn’t be siphoned off to agencies that have been more interested in the new carpets in their office and their pension funds than looking after you.

While I agree with this, I feel that the primary culprit is the bloated FEDERAL govt (consuming 25%+ of our incomes) ... and that once the pork-laden Federal govt is properly addressed, then we can focus on inefficiencies in state/local govts. The pork-fest Federal wasteland is by far the biggest threat to Libertarianism.
Daniel_Plainview
Prognosticator
Prognosticator

Location: 7035 Hollis ... Near the Observatory ... Just down the way, tucked back in the small woods

Unread postby Serial_Worrier » Wed 29 Dec 2010, 14:04:15

Novus wrote:Not really a libertarian paradise because there were too many altruists about helping the people without the means to take care of themselves. People checking on the elderly and such. That is unacceptable to libertarians. There would need to be frozen bodies of the weak laying in the road for this to be a libertarian paradise.

@hinterlander. As I wrote in the OP the media is not covering this so no links available.

Tautology. Libertarians are evil, thus they are evil.
Serial_Worrier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Wed 29 Dec 2010, 14:09:51

Cloud9 wrote:In a libertarian paradise you would have no expectation that the state would be running to your personal aid. You would have a couple of weeks of food and fuel on hand, _-Wool clothing for when the heat goes off, and one or more of your vehicles would be a four wheeled drive. .

Pretty much the situation here on the hill in VT :)
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby the48thronin » Wed 29 Dec 2010, 16:15:12

is that the new leftspeak in operation... libertarian = needyphobe?
Malthusian Riders Member!

Courtesy and Courage Sincerity and Self-control Honor and Loyalty a Code to Live By!
What do the miners do when the canary dies? EVACUATE THE MINE not argue about the color of it's feathers or buy a parrot instead.

Where is my pitchfork and torch? I need them for a visit to the castle!
the48thronin
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby vision-master » Wed 29 Dec 2010, 16:19:42

We may get a bad ice storm starting tomorrow, downed power lines? Anyhoo, just checked out the ele genny op yesterday, I'm good to go for a week without power and food + water, I really need to start using up some of my preps. If'n thing get really ugly, it's bugout time to the doomstead. :)
vision-master

Unread postby Sixstrings » Wed 29 Dec 2010, 17:45:30

From what I read, apparently NYC is having issues with streets still snowed in. There could be elderly folks trapped and dying. Things get precarious very fast in a big city when transportation breaks down.. food supply runs out in days.

As this relates to post-collapse survivalism.. I really can't understand why any survivalist would want to live where it snows. That has to be a major negative right there.. in tropical climes you can run around naked if you wanted to, but up north you can literally freeze to death. Take away technology and life suddenly gets very scary. Being out of food is one thing, being out of food with a blizzard outside with the power out and two feet of snow up the door is another.
Last edited by Sixstrings on Wed 29 Dec 2010, 17:50:13, edited 1 time in total.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Cog » Wed 29 Dec 2010, 17:47:20

PrestonSturges wrote:If it makes you feel any better, Fox News is only talking about how streets in Staten Island are blocked, not how how you are snowed in while Chris Christi vacations in Disney World.

Does Chris Christi normally run a snow plow?
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Cog » Wed 29 Dec 2010, 17:49:58

Sixstrings wrote:From what I read, apparently NYC is having issues with streets still snowed in. There could be elderly folks trapped and dying. Things get precarious very fast in a big city when transportation breaks down.. food supply runs out in days.

As this relates to post-collapse survivalism.. I really can't understand why any survivalist would want to live where it snows. That has to be a major negative right there.. in tropical climes you can run around naked if you wanted to, but up north you can literally freeze to death. Take away technology and life suddenly gets very scary. Being out of food is one thing, being out of food with a blizzard outside and snow two feet up the door is another.

Not necessarily. A survivalist knows the conditions that he lives in and prepares for outages of electricity and being snowed in. If people die because they are unprepared for their environment, then they really don't have a clue what they are doing.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Sixstrings » Wed 29 Dec 2010, 17:51:47

Cog wrote:Not necessarily. A survivalist knows the conditions that he lives in and prepares for outages of electricity and being snowed in. If people die because they are unprepared for their environment, then they really don't have a clue what they are doing.

Well I get what you're saying, but still.. having to deal with snow and blizzards just adds to the odds against you. There's no getting around that. All it takes is falling in some water or something and then getting turned around in a blizzard.. being cold and wet, you're done for. Where I live, at least I know it's impossible for me to freeze to death.
Last edited by Sixstrings on Wed 29 Dec 2010, 17:56:28, edited 1 time in total.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Cog » Wed 29 Dec 2010, 17:55:06

Sixstrings wrote:
Cog wrote:Not necessarily. A survivalist knows the conditions that he lives in and prepares for outages of electricity and being snowed in. If people die because they are unprepared for their environment, then they really don't have a clue what they are doing.

Well I get what you're saying, but still.. having to deal with snow and blizzards just adds to the odds against you. There's no getting around that.

I completely agree with you. It is more difficult to survive in an environment in which you can freeze to death in the winter time. But on the plus side, there will be a lot less sheep alive the following spring.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Cloud9 » Wed 29 Dec 2010, 17:57:43

My response was to Preston and his vision of paradise. What am I supposed to say? The north east has had snow before. This should not be anything new to them. Here in the tropics, we who have been here a while have learned our lessons. When a storm is coming you lay in your last minute supplies. You be sure your meds are in order. You take care of your food, water and fuel. You bring your old folks and young ones to your house so you can take care of them and you sit it out. When it is over you help your neighbors get back up and running. You cut up and haul away the debris and you get back to the business of living. No where in there is the expectation of government intervention. If that seems sarcastic to you I am sorry.
Cloud9
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby vision-master » Wed 29 Dec 2010, 17:58:42

As this relates to post-collapse survivalism.. I really can't understand why any survivalist would want to live where it snows. That has to be a major negative right there.. in tropical climes you can run around naked if you wanted to, but up north you can literally freeze to death. Take away technology and life suddenly gets very scary. Being out of food is one thing, being out of food with a blizzard outside and snow two feet up the door is another.

6, it's whatever you grew up with. As long as you have the proper supplies, it's no biggie, but expect isolation. Have lot's of hard liquor on-hand. lol

Only the hardy folks will choose isolation, cold and snow. My younger Brother is like taht. No way will he move back to the big city.
vision-master

Unread postby Lore » Wed 29 Dec 2010, 18:00:05

Cog wrote:
PrestonSturges wrote:If it makes you feel any better, Fox News is only talking about how streets in Staten Island are blocked, not how how you are snowed in while Chris Christi vacations in Disney World.

Does Chris Christi normally run a snow plow?

Something tells me that the portly Chris Christi would have a tuff time even knowing what to do with a shovel.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Next

Return to Open Topic Discussion