Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

New High of Liquid Fuel Production

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

New High of Liquid Fuel Production

Unread postby Carlhole » Wed 05 Jan 2011, 16:13:23

The Oil Drum

Still, if demand stays strong and prices up, it seems likely that supply will increase further in the next six months. If so, then it's likely that the July 2008 crude+condensate peak will also be exceeded.

The bottom line is this: those people running around saying that the all-time peak in monthly oil production was definitely in 2005 or 2008 are running a considerable risk of having events make fools of them. Appropriate caveats should be used.

Hey, I didn't say it. Stuart Saniford is the cornie this time.

Oh well, I guess you'll just have to push every prediction of imminent PO doom out into the future... again. Sorry.
Carlhole

Re: New High of Liquid Fuel Production

Unread postby Maddog78 » Wed 05 Jan 2011, 16:25:00

:lol:

Poor doomers, wait till Xeno sees this.
I'm just going to stay out of it. :mrgreen:
Maddog78
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby dsula » Wed 05 Jan 2011, 16:32:12

Not good, the higher the peak, the steeper the fall. I;d rather have a long lasting as-low-as- possible plateau. But people want growth, I never understood why.
dsula
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby copious.abundance » Wed 05 Jan 2011, 16:51:36

Stuff for doomers to contemplate:
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1190117.html#p1190117
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1193930.html#p1193930
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1206767.html#p1206767
copious.abundance
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Carlhole » Wed 05 Jan 2011, 17:21:53

OilFinder2 wrote:I already posted this here:
new-high-of-liquid-fuel-production-t60320.html

Oops. Mods please merge.

The Oil Drum article is new though.
Carlhole

Unread postby kublikhan » Wed 05 Jan 2011, 17:47:20

This is not exactly startling news here. It is just a new peak in all liquids. Not a new peak in conventional crude. Thus those who predicted a peak in convention crude in 2005/2008 still seem safe as far as this report is concerned. The IEA already predicted that all liquids would peak much later than conventional crude. That is not exactly a reason to laugh off peak oil however. They still call such a future "stark" and add that it is not good news for oil consuming nations.

The year 2006 may be remembered for civil strife in Iraq, the nuclear weapon testing threat by North Korea, and the genocide in Darfur, but now it appears that another world event was occurring at the same time—without headlines, but with far-reaching consequence for all nations.

That’s the year that the world’s conventional oil production likely reached its peak, the International Energy Agency (IEA) in Vienna, Austria, said Tuesday.

According to the 25-year forecast in the IEA's latest annual World Energy Outlook, the most likely scenario is for crude oil production to stay on a plateau at about 68 to 69 million barrels per day.

In this scenario, crude oil production "never regains its all-time peak of 70 million barrels per day reached in 2006," said IEA’s World Energy Outlook 2010.

In previous years, the IEA had predicted that crude oil production would continue to rise for at least another couple of decades.

Now, because of rising oil prices, declines in investment by the oil industry, and new commitments by some nations to cutting greenhouse gas emissions, the new forecast says oil production is likely to be lower than the IEA had expected.

End of Cheap Oil

The projected flat crude oil production doesn’t translate into an immediate shortage of fuels for the world’s cars and trucks. IEA actually projects that the total production of what it calls “petroleum fuels” is most likely to continue steadily rising, reaching about 99 million barrels per day by 2035.

This growth in liquid fuels would come entirely from unconventional sources, including "natural gas liquids," which are created as a by-product of tapping natural gas reservoirs.

The consequences for the world’s energy consumers of this increased reliance on natural gas liquids and other unconventional fuels are stark.

"The age of cheap oil is over," said Fatih Birol, IEA chief economist.

"If the consuming nations do not make major efforts to slow down the oil demand growth, we will see higher oil prices," Birol said, "which we think is not good news for the economies of the consuming nations."

A major reason for the rising prices and flatlining production is that for "the currently producing fields of crude oil, the production will decline," Birol said.

Today's active oil fields produce about 70 million barrels per day, but by 2035, he said, "they will produce less than 20 million barrels per day of oil."
Has the World Already Passed “Peak Oil”?
The oil barrel is half-full.
kublikhan
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Windmills » Wed 05 Jan 2011, 18:44:10

I can't say I'm comforted by any article stating that a peak in production can always be overcome by producing more expensive fuels.
Windmills
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Xenophobe » Wed 05 Jan 2011, 18:54:19

Windmills wrote:I can't say I'm comforted by any article stating that a peak in production can always be overcome by producing more expensive fuels.

deleted
Xenophobe
Permanently Banned

Return to Peak Oil Discussion