Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The Deindustrialization of America

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

The Deindustrialization of America

Unread postby Daniel_Plainview » Thu 06 Jan 2011, 20:58:22

Reminiscences Of An American Industrial Nation - How In A Few Short Years America Lost Its Manufacturing Sector

Submitted by Tyler Durden on 01/06/2011 19:17 -0500

Some time ago, there was a lengthy debate as to why anyone even cares about the manufacturing ISM number. After all America is now by and far a service economy. Obviously, that debate ended in a stalemate. Nonetheless, the sad truth is that with each passing year America is losing ever more of its once dominant industrial advantage, and with the chief export being "financial innovation", should the world experience another risk flare up it is very likely that the world will enforce an embargo on any future US "imports" and the country's current account deficit will drop to a level from which there is no recovery. So for those who are still not convinced of just how serious the deterioration is, The Economic Collapse blog has compiled this handy list of 19 fact that demonstrate the deindustrialization of America in all its glory.

#1 The United States has lost approximately 42,400 factories since 2001.

#2 Dell Inc., one of America’s largest manufacturers of computers, has announced plans to dramatically expand its operations in China with an investment of over $100 billion over the next decade.

#3 Dell has announced that it will be closing its last large U.S. manufacturing facility in Winston-Salem, North Carolina in November. Approximately 900 jobs will be lost.

#4 In 2008, 1.2 billion cellphones were sold worldwide. So how many of them were manufactured inside the United States? Zero.

#5 According to a new study conducted by the Economic Policy Institute, if the U.S. trade deficit with China continues to increase at its current rate, the U.S. economy will lose over half a million jobs this year alone.

#6 As of the end of July, the U.S. trade deficit with China had risen 18 percent compared to the same time period a year ago.

#7 The United States has lost a total of about 5.5 million manufacturing jobs since October 2000.

#8 According to Tax Notes, between 1999 and 2008 employment at the foreign affiliates of U.S. parent companies increased an astounding 30 percent to 10.1 million. During that exact same time period, U.S. employment at American multinational corporations declined 8 percent to 21.1 million.

#9 In 1959, manufacturing represented 28 percent of U.S. economic output. In 2008, it represented 11.5 percent.

#10 Ford Motor Company recently announced the closure of a factory that produces the Ford Ranger in St. Paul, Minnesota. Approximately 750 good paying middle class jobs are going to be lost because making Ford Rangers in Minnesota does not fit in with Ford's new "global" manufacturing strategy.

#11 As of the end of 2009, less than 12 million Americans worked in manufacturing. The last time less than 12 million Americans were employed in manufacturing was in 1941.

#12 In the United States today, consumption accounts for 70 percent of GDP. Of this 70 percent, over half is spent on services.

#13 The United States has lost a whopping 32 percent of its manufacturing jobs since the year 2000.

#14 In 2001, the United States ranked fourth in the world in per capita broadband Internet use. Today it ranks 15th.

#15 Manufacturing employment in the U.S. computer industry is actually lower in 2010 than it was in 1975.

#16 Printed circuit boards are used in tens of thousands of different products. Asia now produces 84 percent of them worldwide.

#17 The United States spends approximately $3.90 on Chinese goods for every $1 that the Chinese spend on goods from the United States.

#18 One prominent economist is projecting that the Chinese economy will be three times larger than the U.S. economy by the year 2040.

#19 The U.S. Census Bureau says that 43.6 million Americans are now living in poverty and according to them that is the highest number of poor Americans in the 51 years that records have been kept.

The conclusion:

So how many tens of thousands more factories do we need to lose before we do something about it?

How many millions more Americans are going to become unemployed before we all admit that we have a very, very serious problem on our hands?

How many more trillions of dollars are going to leave the country before we realize that we are losing wealth at a pace that is killing our economy?

How many once great manufacturing cities are going to become rotting war zones like Detroit before we understand that we are committing national economic suicide?

The deindustrialization of America is a national crisis. It needs to be treated like one.

If you disagree with this article, I have a direct challenge for you. If anyone can explain how a deindustrialized America has any kind of viable economic future, please do so below in the comments section.

America is in deep, deep trouble folks. It is time to wake up.

linkie winkie
Daniel_Plainview
Prognosticator
Prognosticator

Location: 7035 Hollis ... Near the Observatory ... Just down the way, tucked back in the small woods

Re: The Deindustrialization of America

Unread postby Xenophobe » Thu 06 Jan 2011, 22:11:51

I assume things have changed a little since 2007, but still....

No point in getting excited, now that Americans are building the cure for peak oil, everyone will want one soon and we'll REindustrialize to make them for people all over the world. Someone tell these boys they have some overtime coming!

Xenophobe
Permanently Banned

Unread postby rangerone314 » Thu 06 Jan 2011, 23:09:38

Wow, we're going to replace the American vehicle fleet with $40,000 Volts.

With 254 million vehicles, that is only $10 trillion.

Maybe Obama and Bernanke will just print money and hand it out, LOL!

We're working toward becoming a 3rd world country like Mexico, and over-extended like the USSR. Someday (when their economy is bigger than ours) China is going to use the same strategy on the US that Reagan used on the USSR, spend us into the ground with an arms race and bleed us further in some country like Afghanistan.

We've done China the courtesy of already going there. I suppose 10 years from now we might try to send a few stealth planes over to China, but then they would just shoot them down with their own.

We got on top not because of a work ethic or because of an intrinsically better system, but because we were the last man standing after WWII and now our time has about run out. They tried a few tricks like going into debt, like a rich person that lost his fortune charging the credit card to look prosperous. The gig will be up, permanently, within a decade or two.
An ideology is by definition not a search for TRUTH-but a search for PROOF that its point of view is right

Equals barter and negotiate-people with power just take

You cant defend freedom by eliminating it-unknown

Our elected reps should wear sponsor patches on their suits so we know who they represent-like Nascar-Roy
rangerone314
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Xenophobe » Thu 06 Jan 2011, 23:18:15

rangerone314 wrote:Wow, we're going to replace the American vehicle fleet with $40,000 Volts.

We certainly could I suppose, but its more likely that the Volt, the Leaf, Ford and Honda's upcoming EV's, the other ICE manufacturer EV's, will all be involved. And none of this happens tomorrow, but with another century or so of crude around, it's not like there is any hurry.

rangerone314 wrote:With 254 million vehicles, that is only $10 trillion.

Probably alot cheaper than what it cost to build out the wasteful and ultimately fruitless ICE infrastructure. But still, a reasonable bargain if Americans are willing to pony it up to maintain their car centric lifestyles.

rangerone314 wrote:Maybe Obama and Bernanke will just print money and hand it out, LOL!

Why should they have to? As the worlds largest manufacturing country, the US, we can pump those Volts out, reinvigorate the unions, the domestic car manufacturers, and export the peak oil solution AND the suburbia which goes with it to the rest of the world as they bump into the same crude limits we did back in 1970.

This is all a win-win.
Xenophobe
Permanently Banned

Unread postby papa moose » Thu 06 Jan 2011, 23:33:46

Daniel_Plainview wrote:[#10 Ford Motor Company recently announced the closure of a factory that produces the Ford Ranger in St. Paul, Minnesota. Approximately 750 good paying middle class jobs are going to be lost because making Ford Rangers in Minnesota does not fit in with Ford's new "global" manufacturing strategy.

Xenophobe why do you continue to post on this site?
I don't want to get into personal agrument with you but seriously mate what's your reasoning?
If PO doesn't bring about TEOTWAWKI (i think this is your opinion) and the Volt is the cure for the world's woes (which also seems to be your opinion) how is that going to save the US economy?
If Volts become a massive slice of the auto industry then the Chinesse or Koreans, Brazil, India, whoever will retool their own assembly lines and flood you with cheap "knock offs". Just replace "Ford" and "Ranger" with "Chev" and "Volt" in #10 of the OP.
I am not trying to silence any cornicopian voices out their, i am just curious why you personally feel a need to answer every thread on the board with a cry of "Don't worry Chevy'll save us!"
"That really annoying person you know, the one who's always spouting bullshit, the person who always thinks they're right?
Well, the odds are that for somebody else, you're that person.
So take the amount you think you know, reduce it by 99.999%, and then you'll have an idea of how much you actually know..."
papa moose
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby papa moose » Thu 06 Jan 2011, 23:42:26

Gee, i took so long to type and post my comment that you "snuck" another post in before me Xeno!
But wow, it actually reads more crazy than your first!
Did you read the OP?
Why should they have to? As the worlds largest manufacturing country, the US, we can pump those Volts out, reinvigorate the unions, the domestic car manufacturers, and export the peak oil solution AND the suburbia which goes with it to the rest of the world as they bump into the same crude limits we did back in 1970.

I'll say it again, did you read the OP? The whole point is that the US is not a manufacturing power any more. No one can snap their fingers and "reinvigorate" the auto industry, did you notice that for all the bail out money the Big 4 got they aren't suddenly powering up.
"That really annoying person you know, the one who's always spouting bullshit, the person who always thinks they're right?
So take the amount you think you know, reduce it by 99.999%, and then you'll have an idea of how much you actually know..."
papa moose
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Xenophobe » Fri 07 Jan 2011, 00:19:19

papa moose wrote:
Daniel_Plainview wrote:[#10 Ford Motor Company recently announced the closure of a factory that produces the Ford Ranger in St. Paul, Minnesota. Approximately 750 good paying middle class jobs are going to be lost because making Ford Rangers in Minnesota does not fit in with Ford's new "global" manufacturing strategy.

Xenophobe why do you continue to post on this site?I don't want to get into personal agrument with you but seriously mate what's your reasoning?

I wish to learn.

Socrates wrote:I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing.

papa moose wrote:If PO doesn't bring about TEOTWAWKI (i think this is your opinion) and the Volt is the cure for the world's woes (which also seems to be your opinion) how is that going to save the US economy?

Because America won't be DEindustrialized by building Volts for the world, it will be REindustrialized.

papa moose wrote:If Volts become a massive slice of the auto industry then the Chinesse or Koreans, Brazil, India, whoever will retool their own assembly lines and flood you with cheap "knock offs". Just replace "Ford" and "Ranger" with "Chev" and "Volt" in #10 of the OP.

Maybe. Maybe the domestic manufacuters will have LEARNED something since the 70's when the imports kicked their butt's with superior quality, reliability, and treating the customer right. We won't know for awhile yet, but I have hopes.

papa moose wrote:I am not trying to silence any cornicopian voices out their, i am just curious why you personally feel a need to answer every thread on the board with a cry of "Don't worry Chevy'll save us!"

Seminal events are worthy of praise.

5 years ago on this website ideas ran rampant over the effects of peak oil. A common one was that peak oil would be so awful that it would, all by itself, stop the solutions from coming to fruition.

Now we know that this was incorrect. And we only learned it within the past month. Someone with foresight built a game changer, designed a mass produced car which allows us to keep suburbia, someone invested the capital for the factory and batteries, people have a living building these near Jetson devices, and they don't have to run on crude oil based fuels, allows us to keep Saturday night cruising, soccer moms running their kids around just because they WANT to, and not even wasting time stopping at gas stations where half of them hurt their health by collecting a soda they don't need. All of that can now STOP. Because you can go to a CAR dealership, and they can sell you something to solve your own personal peak oil angst. It's game changing.
Xenophobe
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Xenophobe » Fri 07 Jan 2011, 00:27:15

papa moose wrote:I'll say it again, did you read the OP? The whole point is that the US is not a manufacturing power any more.

So the largest manufacturing country in the world...is no longer a manufacturing power? Sorry...while some people certainly round up some scary sounding stuff, its only that most of the time.

Americans manufacture less nowadays? Fine. People were making the same complaints back in the 70's. Americans also invent Microsoft, Google and various other goodies. Like the Volt. Sure...we don't build as many old fashioned cars anymore, because unions made sure we wouldn't. Fortunately, we build the best new TECHNOLOGY cars still. Unions haven't strangled that yet...like I said...I have hopes the car manufacturers learned from the 70's. We'll see.
Xenophobe
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Thralen » Fri 07 Jan 2011, 00:41:02

Xenophobe wrote:I wish to learn.
Socrates wrote:I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing.

If you wish to learn, and if you regard your quote by Socrates as your own attitude then you have quite a bit to learn.

1. If you claim to know nothing and want to learn, what business do you have claiming that you have the cornucopian answer to everyone's posts here. Despite the thread, despite the topic, you always have a claim that it isn't an issue and will be fixed. Sounds like you think you know a lot as opposed to "knowing that you know nothing".

2. Your constant 'solutions' to people's issues certainly cause people to post less, thereby losing you another chance to learn. Unless of course you truly think that your reply posts are solutions, in which case refer to #1.

3. So, if you truly want to learn then I suggest that you don't try to slam people's worries, but draw out from them why the worry exists, then research both the worry and the reason for it. You might learn something...

Finally, if you are a paid troll, spewing cornucopian propaganda (as I must admit, your posts lead me to believe is a strong possibility) then feel free to disregard this message and you'll have learned that some of us see through you. If you aren't then you'll have learned that some of us suspect that you are. Either way, you've done what you claimed you desired and learned something.

Thralen
Common sense is not all that common - Twain

Nowadays, common courtesy is even less common than common sense - Me
Thralen
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Xenophobe » Fri 07 Jan 2011, 00:58:27

Thralen wrote:If you wish to learn, and if you regard your quote by Socrates as your own attitude then you have quite a bit to learn.

I agree.

Thralen wrote:1. If you claim to know nothing and want to learn, what business do you have claiming that you have the cornucopian answer to everyone's posts here.

Perhaps you misunderstand my comments. I have said that the Volt is a PERSONAL solution to peak oil. Given time, and enough people making this PERSONAL solution to peak oil their own, it can solve the COLLECTIVE peak oil issue. This is not cornucopian in nature, I also advocate walking, bicycles, nukes, mass transit powered by CNG and all other non crude fueled means of transport. Including horses. Pick your favorite, this is a free country.

Thralen wrote:2. Your constant 'solutions' to people's issues certainly cause people to post less, thereby losing you another chance to learn. Unless of course you truly think that your reply posts are solutions, in which case refer to #1.

My POSTS are not solutions, but the concepts contained within them could be. If people are posting less, perhaps it because they are investigating these solutions, moonlighting to collect a down payment, have disconnected their internet to save electricity for others, are out gardening. In which case I say good for them, they have found their own peak oil solutions and deserve our praise.

Thralen wrote:3. So, if you truly want to learn then I suggest that you don't try to slam people's worries, but draw out from them why the worry exists, then research both the worry and the reason for it. You might learn something...

I do not "slam" worries. During the process of learning, I certainly do examine them from all angles. And then post about what I have learned. Exactly as you suggest.
Xenophobe
Permanently Banned

Unread postby papa moose » Fri 07 Jan 2011, 01:02:59

Xenophobe wrote:So the largest manufacturing country in the world...is no longer a manufacturing power?

Cool, so you got it the second time around! :-D

Then again maybe Thralen's right and you're a troll paid by Chevy's marketing dept. :twisted:
papa moose
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Fri 07 Jan 2011, 02:00:37

The USG doesn't have the balls to get on with getting off oil.
The Volt is merely a token effort along with the entire pissant electric fleet.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby papa moose » Fri 07 Jan 2011, 02:22:29

Don't be so PC gypsy, tell us what ya really think!
papa moose
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Xenophobe » Fri 07 Jan 2011, 08:58:11

papa moose wrote:
Xenophobe wrote:So the largest manufacturing country in the world...is no longer a manufacturing power?

Cool, so you got it the second time around! :-D

Then again maybe Thralen's right and you're a troll paid by Chevy's marketing dept. :twisted:

Nope. Never even owned a Chevy before, I'm more a Honda/Toyota guy. The only reason why I would even consider a Chevy product is if they did something which I believe deserves it. Their reversal from their EV1 position deserves it.
Xenophobe
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Xenophobe » Fri 07 Jan 2011, 08:59:47

pstarr wrote: We are so FUBAR.

Thats what they said about peak oil as well, and look how run of the mill that turned out.
Xenophobe
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Daniel_Plainview » Fri 07 Jan 2011, 13:58:28

Sadly, US manufacturing has not had this few jobs since 1941:

Manufacturing employment in the US peaked in June 1979 with 19,553,000 jobs, and by July 2009, manufacturing employment had collapsed to 11,817,000 jobs, the lowest level of manufacturing jobs since April 1941.

As a percent of the total labor force, in July 09 US manufacturing employment fell below 9% -- the lowest level in BLS history dating back to 1939 (see chart above).

link

But everything will be fine ... the US needs more burger-flippers and other part-time service jobs ....
Daniel_Plainview
Prognosticator
Prognosticator

Location: 7035 Hollis ... Near the Observatory ... Just down the way, tucked back in the small woods

Unread postby nobodypanic » Fri 07 Jan 2011, 15:37:47

Xenophobe wrote:
pstarr wrote: We are so FUBAR.

Thats what they said about peak oil as well, and look how run of the mill that turned out.

you keep saying this, and frankly i can understand given that the level of doom expressed here by many reaches levels of the ridiculous, not to mention that the tone of some screams that they are eagerly awaiting the horrors they predict. :-D

yet, i can assure you that there are millions of people that are seriously hurting. just because you have a job and make enough money to scoff at the difference between 2 or 3 dollar gas doesn't mean jack - for some people that's the difference between eating, paying rent, and bankruptcy.
nobodypanic
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Next

Return to Economics & Finance