Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The Scent Of A Woman's Sadness

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

The Scent Of A Woman's Sadness

Unread postby Carlhole » Fri 07 Jan 2011, 18:19:28

Popsci

The scent of a woman’s sadness — manifested in her tears — is a major turn-off for men, according to new research published today. It is the first study to suggest tears of emotion contain chemical signals that influence others’ behavior.

Although men were unable to smell the difference between real tears and a saline solution, they had decidedly different reactions to each. Men who sniffed real tears became less sexually aroused by photographs of women than those who sniffed saline. Just to be sure skin was not the culprit, the researchers dripped saline down women’s cheeks, to the same effect: Only real, fresh-cried tears turned men off.

The researchers, from the Weizmann Institute of Science and Edith Wolfson Medical Center in Israel, actually stumbled across the finding. They expected tears’ chemical signals to trigger empathy or sadness, but that didn’t happen; they did, however, dampen men’s sexual desire. Some researchers believe this phenomenon evolved to protect emotionally vulnerable women from male aggression, while others believe it’s evidence of a heretofore unknown human pheromone, reports the New York Times.

I know a crying woman is a turn-off for me -- MOST of the time, anyway. It's only when the crying is completely unambiguous - like when a woman obviously has good reason
such as after a painful accident or a really fearful experience- that I am not skeptical of it.

I discovered this when I realized that I didn't actually believe there were really good reasons for womens' crying most of the time; that it was perhaps manipulative, or some sort of anxiety neurosis, or a learned response (for example, older women seem to me to cry much less than younger women. English, German, Russian women seem to cry less than young American women, Black women less than White...). I told this to a group of women once after one of them had cried trivially over something. Boy, they just jumped down my throat about that. They didn't like it that I didn't believe the crying was genuine. And they didn't quickly forgive me for that admission either. I became "that odious man" to that group.

I've noticed that a crying woman gets immediate attention from other women. There have been times when I have tried to comfort a crying woman or find out why she is crying, but have been pushed away forcefully by the other women who swarm in to take charge. I can remember several times when I have successfully comforted a crying woman, but when other women showed up, the crying began all over again just as intensely. I can recall receiving glares from them as if to say, "Get the hell out of here, you incompetent caveman, can't you see this is none of your business!"

So these things have all made me skeptical of 95% of female crying instances- not that I am completely unable to perceive a genuine reason when one is there.

Women have always seemed to want me to cry as well - as some sort of healing thing. But I honestly can't cry unless things get really, really bad. I well up now and then, even in a Lassie movie or something, but I have only cried twice in my post adolescent life. Once was after a vicious dog attack when I was 14, the other was after a bad vehicle accident in my mid-twenties - probably 4-5 weeks later, in fact.

It would be interesting to know what the researchers discover about the pheromonal affects of mens' tears on womens' psychology and sexuality. Certainly, women have the better olfactory sense; it should be a more pronounced effect whatever it is.
Carlhole

Re: The Scent Of A Woman's Sadness

Unread postby Pretorian » Fri 07 Jan 2011, 18:45:42

I remember riding a rural bus somewhere in Central America, and there was this young and tall guy crying all the way when i was in--like way over an hour, perhaps two. Just covering his eyes/face and wiping tears once in awhile, no sounds. I didnt even know that its possible to have that many tears. Then some painted clown walked in, telling jokes and asking for a few coins, it was such a weird picture-- people laughing and crying at the same time.
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sun 09 Jan 2011, 20:34:48

Carlhole wrote:I've noticed that a crying woman gets immediate attention from other women. There have been times when I have tried to comfort a crying woman or find out why she is crying, but have been pushed away forcefully by the other women who swarm in to take charge. I can remember several times when I have successfully comforted a crying woman, but when other women showed up, the crying began all over again just as intensely. I can recall receiving glares from them as if to say, "Get the hell out of here, you incompetent caveman, can't you see this is none of your business!"

The way you tell your story is really funny.. and you raise some good points. Crying is a way of demanding immediate attention, RIGHT NOW, nothing else matters but the person who is crying. I think you're right, it can be manipulative when it happens over and over again for apparently no good reason.

I've only REALLY cried maybe around five times in twenty years. Couple times over some bad relationships that ended badly, though I certainly didn't cry in front of anyone else. Then a family member had a very serious illness in the hospital.. I got overwhelmed one day and broke down for about ten seconds in the hospital.. I got a grip pretty quick though. Maybe that's a big difference between men and women, I think if men cry we try to get it back together ASAP and we certainly don't want everyone to rush over and comfort us -- we're more likely to be embarassed at uncontrollable tears.

Only time in twenty years I've really just flat out lost it with some extended crying was my father's funeral. It came over me in waves through the whole thing. As soon as I left the cemetery it was over though and I haven't cried like that since.

I think even for a man you sort of need to cry about something at least every five years or so.. I'd be more concerned about a person who has never cried -- that's kind of not human. I'm glad it's extremely rare that I cry, but I'm also glad that at least I'm capable of it.

As for this study.. I dunno, sounds a bit bogus. There was no control for men's tears. They should have had the guys smell a male's tears, that's the only way you'd know if this is even specific to women. It could be that we're all programmed to not be aggressive in the face of crying -- whether it's a child (most common), or an adult. I don't know why they're focusing on sexual arousal.. I think it's more an issue that crying shuts down our aggression, and along with that goes arousal.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sun 09 Jan 2011, 20:57:20

Oh one other thing Carl.. male crying seems to be on the rise, at least in conservative circles. There's Glenn Beck of course. And evangelistic preachers cry a LOT. And the there's our new Speaker of the House:

So.. are these guys being manipulative too?
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sun 09 Jan 2011, 22:43:46

I have some emotional disease to do with testosterone which has baldened me and banished crying from my emotional vocabulary. I am often in situations at work which would make most people break, often in palliative care situations with family around or dementia cases where the family has fallen away. It's not that I don't feel anything, just my mind and coping strategies take over immediately. I have had a few tears in my eyes at times when I have to leave my family behind and go work in some remote outpost, but that's about it and as soon as I hit the airport lounge I'm ok again.

My wife on the other hand, cries at the drop of a hat. She is Filipina and in her culture it's very normal to have tears dripping while talking about anything really sad. Even men here show emotions a heck of a lot more than men do in western cultures I have lived in.

Often for the last month we are together before I have to go to work, my wife will be teary every night, or almost every night, and I concur with the study: It is a turn off. She subconciously realised it I think and has learned she gets more lovin when she holds back the tears.

Thanks for the find Carl, got me thinking....
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Umber » Sun 09 Jan 2011, 23:03:48

Sixstrings wrote:Oh one other thing Carl.. male crying seems to be on the rise, at least in conservative circles. There's Glenn Beck of course. And evangelistic preachers cry a LOT. And the there's our new Speaker of the House:

So.. are these guys being manipulative too?

"Yall don't what it's like..."

That's too damned funny.

Umber
Umber

Unread postby Vogelzang » Sun 23 Jan 2011, 22:11:41

Pretorian wrote:I remember riding a rural bus somewhere in Central America, and there was this young and tall guy crying all the way when i was in--like way over an hour, perhaps two. Just covering his eyes/face and wiping tears once in awhile, no sounds. I didnt even know that its possible to have that many tears. Then some painted clown walked in, telling jokes and asking for a few coins, it was such a weird picture-- people laughing and crying at the same time.

Maybe his cat died.
Vogelzang
Permanently Banned

Return to Open Topic Discussion