Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Border Collie outsmarts scientists, remembers 1000+ words!

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Border Collie outsmarts scientists, remembers 1000+ words!

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sat 08 Jan 2011, 02:47:41

A border collie has learned more than 1,000 words, showing US researchers that her memory is not only better than theirs, but that she understands quite a bit about how language works.

Chaser learned the names for 1,022 toys, so many that her human handlers had to write on them in marker so that they would not forget, said study co-author Alliston Reid, a psychology professor at Wofford College in South Carolina.

With that repertoire, Chaser has far outpaced another dog, Rico, found by German researchers to be able to grasp about 200 words, according to a study published in 2004 in the journal Science.

As a border collie, Chaser comes from a breed of herding dog known for its intelligence, energy and strong work ethic.

Dr Reid said she might be able to learn even more words, but her keepers stopped at 1,022 after three years of training simply because of time constraints.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011 ... ion=justin

I have wondered if dogs might be the next dominant species when we are done.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Re: Border Collie outsmarts scientists, remembers 1000+ word

Unread postby Ibon » Sat 08 Jan 2011, 02:49:59

SeaGypsy wrote:
I have wondered if dogs might be the next dominant species when we are done.

Without an apposing thumb there is only so much they can manipulate :)
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby eastbay » Sat 08 Jan 2011, 03:16:43

I had a friend decades ago who had a border collie and that dog was brilliant! I still remember the things he could remember and do. It was very un-dog-like. WOW! :)
Got Dharma?

Everything is Impermanent. Shakyamuni Buddha
eastbay
Expert
Expert

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sat 08 Jan 2011, 03:23:32

For at least 15,000 years aboriginal Australians lived in a nomadic hunter gatherer state highly dependent on their 'camp dogs' or dingoes. In what could be termed a symbiotic relationship, the two species mutually benefitted by keeping company. The dogs could find food or water almost anywhere, and naturally worked gracefully as a team with the spear throwing humans.

I have never been scared of any animal in the bush as much as by a pack of wild dogs. Compared to reptiles like crocodiles and the many poisonous snakes in Australia, dogs are frighteningly smart and adaptable. After a hundred years or so of cross breeding between dingoes and fence jumpers you end up with a very scary looking beast, especially in Australia. Packs of semi domesticated dogs have been eating people around Alice Springs for a few years now.

To this day any experienced bushman (or woman) will always have their dogs by their side. They are incredible hunting companions and will fiercely defend you in any event in which you are attacked.
There is nowhere in remote Australia where it would be possible to starve in the company of a good team of dogs.

My understanding of symbiotic dependency is that neither species can usually be considered dominant. They compliment each others abilities sometimes to an extent where they are utterly dependent on each other.

The symbiosis of man and dog is perhaps our most enduring natual legacy. Beginning in the hunter gatherer stage of evolution evolving through to a mostly unconcious attachment; our dogs have ensured their continuation to this day by becoming a fashion accessory. They have enjoyed the abundance of the oil age and taken a few generations off from the work they have always in one way or another done with us.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby vision-master » Sat 08 Jan 2011, 10:18:07

We are more like dogs than apes. :)
vision-master

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sat 08 Jan 2011, 11:04:47

I can't recall now who wrote some stuff on the subject that the coordination of proto humans and dogs may have been instrumental to our early success as we left the primordial forest for open savannah.
They could well have taught us animal husbandry, for it is well known that wild dogs follow herds of animals around and sometimes corral them for culling. A lot of our behaviour is very doggish as compared to other primates. It's a very interesting area of thought.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Return to Open Topic Discussion