Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

$2 Trillion And In Exchange We Got 650,000 low wage McJobs

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

$2 Trillion And In Exchange We Got 650,000 low wage McJobs

Unread postby Sixstrings » Wed 12 Jan 2011, 19:53:08

When we looked at the changing composition in the US work force one month ago, we discovered, to our dismay, that since the start of the Depression, the US labor pool has transformed substantially from a full-time time to an increasingly more part-time dominated one.

Specifically we found that "America has lost 10.5 million full time jobs, offset by a 2.8 million increase in part time jobs" and that "the US not only lost 478k seasonally adjusted full time workers in November but has lost full time jobs for 6 months in a row, for a total of 1.6 million job losses!" In an attempt to further refine this number, we present some TrimTabs data which proves beyond a shadow of a doubt, that the Fed's QE (1, Lite, and 2) efforts, when expressed in labor force "pick up" has been an abysmal failure. To wit: "In 2010, the BLS reports that the economy added 1.12 million jobs.

Almost 60% of these jobs are in one of three relatively low-paying areas—temporary employment (308,000), leisure & hospitality (240,000), and retail trade (116,000)." In other words, of the 1.1 million private jobs gained in the last year, 650,000 or 60% are jobs that have absolutely no real wealth creation capacity, nor do they provide any real benefits. In fact, the retail jobs are becoming increasingly distressed, as more Americans shop online, leading to a job pickup... in Chinese warehousing and QC plants, and the irretrievable loss of even the lowest paying US jobs.
http://www.zerohedge.com/article/how-fed-spent-2-trillion-and-exchange-we-got-650000-temp-leisure-and-retail-jobs

First of all, we're not even creating enough jobs to take care of population increase.. much less get the unemployed back to work. But of the jobs the economy did create.. take a look at that pie chart. They're McJobs. In case anyone doesn't know what "Leisure & Hospitality" is, that's mostly your maids, bartenders and servers -- these are the absolute lowest paying jobs in the United States, with zero benefits. You can't get lower wages than this kind of work, unless folks were to work for free or we re-institute slavery (don't give 'em any ideas).

Sadly for the folks who would take even a cook's job or some such, all these fields are under intense pressure from Mexican and other Latino immigration. Increasingly, Americans can't get these jobs anyway because they don't speak the language -- Spanish.

And all this after $2 trillion in Fed stimulus.. this is the best we could manage. Makes you wonder how bad the jobs picture will look whenever they have to stop the trillions in quantitative easing.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Re: $2 Trillion And In Exchange We Got 650,000 low wage McJo

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 12 Jan 2011, 20:04:23

Obama is a dope.

For two trillion dollars we could've made massive improvements in our infrastructure. Nuclear power plants cost about 5 billion each, so for $250 billion we could've built 50 new nukes, one for each state, supplying enough electricity to shut down coal-powered plants across the USA. We could've built new high speed train systems from coast to coast, with US manufacturers to create high paying US jobs, as the Chinese are doing in China. We could've built mass transit systems and light rail commuter systems in the cities.

But what did Obama and the dems do instead? They dithered away two trillion dollars on pork and fraud and higher pay and more foreign travel for government employees, state employmees, etc..

Obama is an absolute dope.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 12 Jan 2011, 20:07:14

duplicate post
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Sixstrings » Wed 12 Jan 2011, 20:09:54

Plantagenet wrote:For two trillion dollars we could've made massive improvements in our infrastructure. Nuclear power plants cost about 5 billion each, so for $250 billion we could've built 50 new nukes, one for each state, supplying enough electricity to shut down coal-powered plants across the USA. We could've built new high speed train systems from coast to coast, with US manufacturers to create high paying US jobs, as the Chinese are doing in China. We could've built mass transit systems and light rail commuter systems in the cities.

Well in reality the Federal Reserve is a bank for bankers, they're not in the business of funding infrastructure. Most of this money has been funneled into global capitalism, ending up building infrastructure in places like China, Chile and all over South America (which is why they're frantically trying to devalue their currencies to fight all this hot American money pouring in).

If they HAD spent the money on infrastructure, I wonder if that would have caused an inflation problem? As it is, the Fed QE trillions just go into a black hole and it's all paper money and nothing real.

The Obama stimulus was similarly wasted.. just made up budget shortfalls for states, but that's all temporary bandaids it doesn't build any groundwork for growth.
Last edited by Sixstrings on Wed 12 Jan 2011, 20:16:18, edited 1 time in total.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Daniel_Plainview » Wed 12 Jan 2011, 20:13:26

Sixstrings wrote:And all this after $2 trillion in Fed stimulus.. this is the best we could manage. Makes you wonder how bad the jobs picture will look whenever they have to stop the trillions in quantitative easing.

The total cost of these McJobs is far more than $2T, when you add up the cost of ZIRP, QE2, Fed emergency programs, bailouts, pork-barrel stimulus, etc.

But this huge price tag was worth it, because we got a much-sooner-than-expected "recovery" -- which turns out to be nothing more than part-time temp jobs.
Daniel_Plainview
Prognosticator
Prognosticator

Location: 7035 Hollis ... Near the Observatory ... Just down the way, tucked back in the small woods

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Thu 13 Jan 2011, 06:35:46

Plantagenet wrote:For two trillion dollars we could've made massive improvements in our infrastructure. Nuclear power plants cost about 5 billion each, so for $250 billion we could've built 50 new nukes, one for each state, supplying enough electricity to shut down coal-powered plants across the USA. . . . We could've built mass transit systems and light rail commuter systems in the cities.

These are good goals. For TWO TRILLION dollars, we should think really big, IMO.

We could have solved, or gone a long way toward solving many real problems that are IN OUR FACE but we are ignoring. Some blatantly obvious picks:

a). How about funding rebuilding/repairing our nearly 110 year old water distribution system that is an unmitigated disaster? And safe, reliable supplies of fresh water isn't exactly an option for cities.

b). How about rebuilding / repairing our system of many unsafe or soon to be unsafe bridges and roadways that we keep ignoring?

c). How about dealing with funding MEANINGFUL change/improvement in our education system. (K-12 fiasco, or college cost menace (student debt recently surpassed all credit card debt) - take your pick, or how about both?

d). How about coming up with a VIABLE US energy policy to get us through the next 30 years or so of real world fossil fuel needs we KNOW we will have until green tech. has even a real CHANCE of supporting most of the projected energy demands we face in the U.S.?
Plantagenet wrote:But what did Obama and the dems do instead? They dithered away two trillion dollars on pork and fraud and higher pay and more foreign travel for government employees, state employmees, etc..

But to liberals, ANY government is good government, as long as it is MORE. They strongly favor "helping" people, generally purported to be helpless - thus all the pork, as you accurately point out.

Sadly, all they do is make the long term plight of the "helpless" worse, and damage our financial ability to face problems like the above when they finally FORCE us to (in emergency mode, at almost unimaniginable expense).

Despite all the rhetoric from the left and all the (mostly false) claims that the tea party is just racists, crackpots, etc -- the REAL agenda of the left is to do ANYTHING they can to keep the idiot pork spending on wealth redistribution and "helping" programs going -- at any cost. Since the tea party opposes that, the tea party must be roundly attacked (and their message of less spending must be distorted), lest they succeed.

Yes, what we need is MORE government... :roll:
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby nobodypanic » Thu 13 Jan 2011, 17:59:35

Outcast_Searcher wrote:
These are good goals. For TWO TRILLION dollars, we should think really big, IMO.

We could have solved, or gone a long way toward solving many real problems that are IN OUR FACE but we are ignoring. Some blatantly obvious picks:

i agree, except goldman sachs and the boys don't see it that way. however...
Outcast_Searcher wrote:
a). How about funding rebuilding/repairing our nearly 110 year old water distribution system that is an unmitigated disaster? And safe, reliable supplies of fresh water isn't exactly an option for cities.
big/more government.
Outcast_Searcher wrote:
b). How about rebuilding / repairing our system of many unsafe or soon to be unsafe bridges and roadways that we keep ignoring?
big/more government.
Outcast_Searcher wrote:
c). How about dealing with funding MEANINGFUL change/improvement in our education system. (K-12 fiasco, or college cost menace (student debt recently surpassed all credit card debt) - take your pick, or how about both?
big/more government.
Outcast_Searcher wrote:
d). How about coming up with a VIABLE US energy policy to get us through the next 30 years or so of real world fossil fuel needs we KNOW we will have until green tech. has even a real CHANCE of supporting most of the projected energy demands we face in the U.S.?
big/more government.

what are you, a freaking liberal?
Outcast_Searcher wrote:
But to liberals, ANY government is good government, as long as it is MORE. They strongly favor "helping" people, generally purported to be helpless - thus all the pork, as you accurately point out.

wait what? i sense a disturbing level of cognitive dissonance here: first you demand massive government projects and now... my head's spinning.

Outcast_Searcher wrote: Yes, what we need is MORE government... :roll:

make up your mind, will you?

and please don't tell me the tea party would be for the massive government programs you demanded - unless that's not what you really want, but how would i know, since you're all over the place.

let me close with the following: again goldman and friends (NOT government; unless you count the fact that they're the real power behind the govt., and so i guess you could say they they are the real govt., but certainly not 'liberal'. i think i am getting as confusing as you :lol: ), well, anyway, goldman and friends decided what to spend and where. and, i agree with your list, really, i do! but me thinks you have too much right-wing nuttery in your tea.
nobodypanic
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby vision-master » Thu 13 Jan 2011, 19:35:54

Just another confused right-wing nut job, eh. :lol:
vision-master

Unread postby Cog » Thu 13 Jan 2011, 19:54:25

vision-master wrote:Just another confused right-wing nut job, eh. :lol:

How many jobs did you progressives create over the last two years?
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Thu 13 Jan 2011, 19:57:03

Didn't that include $600 B in tax cuts?

Did they do any good? Because I thought those tax cuts were supposed to be stimulating like crack cocaine. And what about the previous 6 years?
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cog » Thu 13 Jan 2011, 20:03:18

PrestonSturges wrote:Didn't that include $600 B in tax cuts?

Did they do any good? Because I thought those tax cuts were supposed to be stimulating like crack cocaine. And what about the previous 6 years?

What are you babbling about? There has been no tax cuts only a continuation of the existing tax rates. Please try to be accurate in your rants.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Thu 13 Jan 2011, 21:18:25

Cog wrote:
PrestonSturges wrote:Didn't that include $600 B in tax cuts?

What are you babbling about? There has been no tax cuts only a continuation of the existing tax rates. Please try to be accurate in your rants.

Please be smarter or more honest in yours.
The $2T stimulus included 1/3 tax cuts by the Obama administration.
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Ludi » Thu 13 Jan 2011, 22:08:58

PrestonSturges wrote:Please be smarter or more honest in yours.
The $2T stimulus included 1/3 tax cuts by the Obama administration.

It's ok, almost nobody knows about the Obama tax cuts.

"fewer than one in 10 respondents knew that the Obama administration had lowered taxes for most Americans. Half of those polled said they thought that their taxes had stayed the same, a third thought that their taxes had gone up, and about a tenth said they did not know."

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/19/us/po ... .html?_r=1
Ludi

Unread postby eastbay » Thu 13 Jan 2011, 22:12:47

That war monster cut our taxes? Dang ... I missed that.
Got Dharma?

Everything is Impermanent. Shakyamuni Buddha
eastbay
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Fri 14 Jan 2011, 05:42:00

nobodypanic wrote:
Outcast_Searcher wrote:

make up your mind, will you?

First, I'm a moderate libertarian, not right wing. I hack on spending by the right (like the military, war on drugs, and wanting to cut taxes no matter how big the deficits are, etc) AND on wasteful social spending (especially redistribution) by the left.

In context, I was trying to say that IF we are going to spend two trillion dollars anyway (which much of the left insists was not nearly enough, remember?), at LEAST let's spend it on REAL long term investments in infrastructure and education -- things that will help the entire society over the long term.

And as a centrist libertarian, I do think that there are some social goods that government should provide, because it is impractical to have the private sector do it. Things like a safe and reliable water supply for cities fits that category, IMO.

Hopefully that makes more sense, with the context spelled out.

But if you prefer just to insist that I have to be a confused right-wing nutjob not to like massive pork spending like Obama has done - fine, have a great time - THEN just look in the mirror and see a prime example of why the country can't compromise, work together, and come up with any meaningful budgetary progress over time.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby vision-master » Fri 14 Jan 2011, 10:31:50

Cog wrote:
vision-master wrote:Just another confused right-wing nut job, eh. :lol:

How many jobs did you progressives create over the last two years?

I worked for the gov, pension an all. :lol:

What kind of crap jobs did you create? :lol:
vision-master

Unread postby Timo » Fri 14 Jan 2011, 11:58:44

Nobody here seems to realize that this whole jobs created v jobs lost debate has very little to do with which party is in power at the moment. Sure, some policies actualy result in jobs created or jobs lost, but on the whole, EVERYONE is responsible for our collective push over the edge of civilization's existance. Whatever happened to the sound bite "United We Stand"? Does that only apply when one party is in power and is convenient to get support for whatever policies they're pushing that day? I would honestly argue that our future on this planet is severely crippled by the sensless quest for control of everyone's destiny. All of the political backstabbing has relegated the public's best interest to the back of the bus. The entire human race has become a casualty of war over who can burn all of the planet's finite resources the fastest, as if he who dies with the blackest lungs wins. But, who am i kidding? The utter lack of sensibility and comprehension of the common good within the human species is the devil's secret poison to doom god's creation.

I'm not religious. I just put that out there if it makes any sense to anyone who is.
Timo

Unread postby vision-master » Fri 14 Jan 2011, 12:03:02

Yup, we have become our own gods without knowing our orgins, who our grandfather and grandmother are, we have lost the connection to our ancestors, the ones above us, the ones who look over us - we don't need them anymore.
vision-master

Return to Economics & Finance