Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Is there a genius in all of us?

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Unread postby Graeme » Thu 13 Jan 2011, 15:58:39

This article reminds me of the quote by Thomas Edison: Genius is one percent inspiration, ninety-nine percent perspiration.

Those who think geniuses are born and not made should think again, says author David Shenk.

Where do athletic and artistic abilities come from? With phrases like "gifted musician", "natural athlete" and "innate intelligence", we have long assumed that talent is a genetic thing some of us have and others don't.

But new science suggests the source of abilities is much more interesting and improvisational. It turns out that everything we are is a developmental process and this includes what we get from our genes.

It would be folly to suggest that anyone can literally do or become anything. But the new science tells us that it's equally foolish to think that mediocrity is built into most of us, or that any of us can know our true limits before we've applied enormous resources and invested vast amounts of time.

Our abilities are not set in genetic stone. They are soft and sculptable, far into adulthood. With humility, with hope, and with extraordinary determination, greatness is something to which any kid - of any age - can aspire.

BBC
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Re: Is there a genius in all of us?

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Thu 13 Jan 2011, 16:31:29

No.
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby paimei01 » Thu 13 Jan 2011, 21:02:37

I want to give you a yardstick, a gold standard, by which to measure good schooling. The Shelter Institute in Bath, Maine will teach you how to build a three thousand square-foot, multi-level Cape Cod home in three weeks' time, whatever your age. If you stay another week, it will show you how to make your own posts and beams; you'll actually cut them out and set them up. You'll learn wiring, plumbing, insulation, the works. Twenty thousand people have learned how to build a house there for about the cost of one month's tuition in public school. (Call Patsy Hennon at 207/442-7938, and she'll get you started on building your own home.) For just about the same money you can walk down the street in Bath to the Apprentice Shop at the Maine Maritime Museum [now in Rockport - ed.] and sign on for a one-year course (no vacations, forty hours a week) in traditional wooden boat building. The whole tuition is eight hundred dollars, but there's a catch: they won't accept you as a student until you volunteer for two weeks, so they can get to know you and you can judge what it is you're getting into. Now you've invested thirteen months and fifteen hundred dollars and you have a house and a boat. What else would you like to know? How to grow food, make clothes, repair a car, build furni-ture, sing? Those of you with a historical imagination will recognize Thomas Jefferson's prayer for schooling - that it would teach useful knowledge. Some places do: the best schooling in the United States today is coming out of museums, libraries, and private institutes. If anyone wants to school your kids, hold them to the standard of the Shelter Institute and you'll do fine.

http://www.spinninglobe.net/condunces.htm
http://www.spinninglobe.net/againstschool.htm
http://www.ascentofhumanity.com/chapter5-6.php

Pink Floyd - got it right. Few escape unharmed from school.
Einstein, yes, the great lord, master, emperor, king of science (not of school). He ran away from school at 15, so he could have time to write his first paper:

One had to cram all this stuff into one's mind for the examinations, whether one liked it or not. This coercion had such a deterring effect on me that, after I had passed the final examination, I found the consideration of any scientific problems distasteful to me for an entire year.

"But he is an exception!" you may say. No, he is the rule. Just - not all children have the same interests he had. They need 12 years of prison time, else, if they don't own some land, no food for them on the prison planet.

Don't know about you people, but I remember - at age 13-14, I was very interested, and read stuff on my own. Read the manuals before they were taught to us. But - I was then forced to memorize, for "exams". Soon - I got bored. I could read - and I did read, a lot of stuff. But - when I knew I had to learn for an "exam" - suddenly I could not read. See above. This is true for all children. The ones that do well in school - are - very strong and motivated, or - easy to mold, and they are trained like pets - "learn that, here's the reward" - and they learn like machines.
I recognize - I was defeated. My curiosity was gone. Learned - what they asked me to "learn" - just to pass, the day after I forgot everything. The only things you remember - are the ones you yourself were interested in.

Search for John Taylor Gatto.
http://paimei01.blogspot.com/
One day there will be so many houses, that people will be bored and will go live in tents. "Why are you living in tents ? Are there not enough homes ?" "Yes there are, but we play this Economy game". Now it's "Crisis" time !Too many houses! Yes, we are insane!
paimei01
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Thu 13 Jan 2011, 21:22:56

Serotonin and adrenaline are the two dominant brain chemicals.

Serotonin is internally generated Soma.
Adrenaline is frightening and anti social.

Most people are tipped towards a serotonin reward based on submission and acceptance.
They are happy when the group or the leader at least, approves their behaviour.

Others tip towards a risk for reward self engineering. This has become socially engineered through adrenaline sports and has created massive opportunities in the self medication industries, legal and illegal.

These chemical games we play with ourselves dominate most people's sense of themselves, their position in their worlds. Genius firstly must relieve itself of the burden of these chemical games, something most people never achieve.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby paimei01 » Fri 14 Jan 2011, 04:08:18

Wait, you mean chemicals influence "me" ? "Me" who ? I am not - a chemical substance, to be influenced by other substances. You cannot treat depression with - chemical reactions, you can only hide it. Also - chemicals do not get depressed.

Let-s say - this body, is the - physical thing through which we - experience. Adding chemicals can - modify or block the experience. "We" - being "life", that is everywhere.
About chemicals that we ourselves produce. This is no accident, it's our doing. It's not "oh, evil chemical x comes out of my brain, clouds my vision!". We, produce them, they are consequences not main reasons.
Yes, adding chemicals, can modify our perception. Good or bad. It cannot modify us.

Also - we produce DMT in our brain. It's illegal. Hope the benevolent creature that first declared DMT illegal - cuts of his own head first.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhEj314c ... r_embedded
"Dimethyltryptamine or N,N-Dimethyltryptamine (DMT) is a naturally-occurring tryptamine and psychedelic drug, found not only in many plants, but also in trace amounts in the human body where its natural function is undetermined."
http://paimei01.blogspot.com/
One day there will be so many houses, that people will be bored and will go live in tents. "Why are you living in tents ? Are there not enough homes ?" "Yes there are, but we play this Economy game". Now it's "Crisis" time !Too many houses! Yes, we are insane!
paimei01
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby vision-master » Fri 14 Jan 2011, 10:28:32

PrestonSturges wrote:No.

Ayahuasca
vision-master

Return to Open Topic Discussion