Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Cloning might create live woolly mammoth

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Unread postby eXpat » Fri 14 Jan 2011, 09:21:46

KYOTO, Japan, Jan. 13 (UPI) -- The extinct woolly mammoth could be brought back to life in as little as four years thanks to a breakthrough in cloning technology, a Japanese researcher says.

Akira Iritani, a professor at Kyoto University, says he wants to resurrect the species that died out 5,000 years ago by recovering nuclei from cells in the skin and muscle tissue of mammoths found in Siberian permafrost and inserting the nuclei into the egg cells of an African elephant, which will act as the surrogate mother for the mammoth, Britain's Daily Telegraph reported Thursday.

Previous efforts in the 1990s to recover nuclei from Siberian mammoths failed because they had been too badly damaged by the extreme cold.

However, a technique pioneered at the Riken Center for Developmental Biology in Kobe, Japan, was successful in cloning a mouse from the cells of another mouse that had been frozen for 16 years.

"Now the technical problems have been overcome, all we need is a good sample of soft tissue from a frozen mammoth," Iritani says.

Iritani said he estimates that another two years will be needed before nuclei can be obtained and the elephant impregnated, followed by the approximately 600-day gestation period.

"The success rate in the cloning of cattle was poor until recently but now stands at about 30 percent," Iritani said. "I think we have a reasonable chance of success and a healthy mammoth could be born in four or five years."

http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2011/01/13/Cloning-might-create-live-woolly-mammoth/UPI-58171294964926/

Never mind the mammoths, what we really want are raptors! :twisted:
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
George Bernard Shaw

You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.” Ayn Rand
eXpat
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Cloning might create live woolly mammoth

Unread postby Sixstrings » Fri 14 Jan 2011, 09:26:51

All jokes aside, it would be really cool to get to see some of these extinct species. I think mammoths are the only species we'll be able to clone since there is frozen soft tissue available.

As for things like raptors, or the really interesting extinct North American mammals and giant sloths, we just don't have any frozen frozen remains of those.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby eastbay » Fri 14 Jan 2011, 11:50:57

I bet a saber tooth tiger could be arranged.

Better yet, an ursus maritimus tyrannus! Imagine, a bear the size of a Ford Expedition. :)
Got Dharma?

Everything is Impermanent. Shakyamuni Buddha
eastbay
Expert
Expert

Unread postby vision-master » Fri 14 Jan 2011, 12:07:39

as we were cloned from those above us.

vision-master

Unread postby Pretorian » Fri 14 Jan 2011, 12:42:11

I wonder how different elefant's mitochondrial DNA, and if it matters for a proper mammoth development. Last mammoths were killed off around 2500 BC or so-- special thanks to eco-friendly nature-loving Native Americans
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby eXpat » Fri 14 Jan 2011, 12:55:05

eastbay wrote:I bet a saber tooth tiger could be arranged.

Better yet, an ursus maritimus tyrannus! Imagine, a bear the size of a Ford Expedition. :)

I would settle for a Phorusrhacos longissimus
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
George Bernard Shaw

You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.” Ayn Rand
eXpat
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby eastbay » Fri 14 Jan 2011, 13:00:10

eXpat, I can see it happening.

If someone crosses a blue heron with a wild turkey and then selectively breeds the offspring to about 100x bigger. I bet it could be done in 25 years. I say go for it. :)
Got Dharma?

Everything is Impermanent. Shakyamuni Buddha
eastbay
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Sixstrings » Fri 14 Jan 2011, 13:04:05

Pretorian wrote:I wonder how different elefant's mitochondrial DNA, and if it matters for a proper mammoth development. Last mammoths were killed off around 2500 BC or so-- special thanks to eco-friendly nature-loving Native Americans

Their extinction was climate change related, along with lots of other species in the Americas. That's really just evolution, waves of climate change extinction events then species who could adapt rise and branch out and then it happens all over again.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby vision-master » Fri 14 Jan 2011, 13:50:08

Sixstrings wrote:
Pretorian wrote:I wonder how different elefant's mitochondrial DNA, and if it matters for a proper mammoth development. Last mammoths were killed off around 2500 BC or so-- special thanks to eco-friendly nature-loving Native Americans

Their extinction was climate change related, along with lots of other species in the Americas. That's really just evolution, waves of climate change extinction events then species who could adapt rise and branch out and then it happens all over again.

Branch out into what and how is this done? :lol:

Why haven't mammoths evolved back then?

What does 'cloning' have to do with evolution?

Oh, I forgot, yer a AGW kinda guy. lol

Do any of you ppl have original thoughts? :lol:

Here's DNA L@@KING @ U.
vision-master

Unread postby Serial_Worrier » Fri 14 Jan 2011, 19:02:18

This is a horrible idea, this cloning of extinct creatures. They couldn't hack it, so let them be.
Serial_Worrier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Fri 14 Jan 2011, 19:37:18

Seems like everyone has their Ice Age favorite creature.

I'd like the Giant Ground Sloth - a big old teddy bear the size of an elephant with claws 2 ft long
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Pretorian » Fri 14 Jan 2011, 19:54:38

Sixstrings wrote:

I have no doubt that climate change helped , neverthless mammoths on deserted islands existed 5-7000 years longer for some reason. Giant sloths lived in modern Cuba exactly until native American settlers arrived 900-1000 years ago.
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dinopello » Fri 14 Jan 2011, 20:39:28

dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby yeahbut » Fri 14 Jan 2011, 20:50:39

Pretorian wrote:I have no doubt that climate change helped , neverthless mammoths on deserted islands existed 5-7000 years longer for some reason. Giant sloths lived in modern Cuba exactly until native American settlers arrived 900-1000 years ago.
Yes indeed, the track record of human encounters with 'naive' fauna is very well established. And I am yet to hear a plausible explanation from the 'climate change did it' camp for why so many mega-fauna species survived the previous cycles of glacial-interglacial change just fine, but this one wiped them out...
yeahbut
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Ferretlover » Fri 14 Jan 2011, 22:28:18

I think it would be quite interesting. Look what Godzilla did to NYC! LOL
Besides, we could feed them the homeless, similar to the natives tying up people for King Kong. Yum Yum!
And, it would certainly confuse any aliens that were observing the planet: "What the F*** are those people doing?!?!?!?"

Did I cover all the bases?
"Open the gates of hell!" ~Morgan Freeman's character in the movie, Olympus Has Fallen.
Ferretlover
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Ludi » Sat 15 Jan 2011, 11:53:14

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/about-us/news/2010 ... 78775.html

"Woolly mammoths died out because climate change caused a massive decline in their grassland habitat, scientists reported last week.

Warming temperatures and the spread of forests after the last ice age 21,000 years ago, turned the mammoths’ grassland into less productive tundra-like habitat.

This reduced the food available to large mammals like the woolly mammoth, woolly rhino and cave lion and eventually led to their extinction, the team led by scientists at Durham University, and Lund University and Bristol University, says.

These changes coincided with an increase in the number and distribution of modern humans, Homo sapiens. A popular theory is that hunting and competition for land by humans caused the extinction of the mammoth. The team doesn’t rule out human influences but says that the changes in vegetation would have had the greatest effect.

‘We believe that the loss of food supplies from productive grasslands was the major contributing factor to the extinction of these mega-mammals,’ says Professor Brian Huntley, from the School of Biological and Biomedical Sciences at Durham University.

‘The change from productive grasslands across large areas of northern Eurasia, Alaska and Yukon to less productive tundra-like habitats had a huge effect on many species, particularly on the large herbivores like the woolly rhinoceros and woolly mammoth. Mammoths and other mega-mammals found it increasingly difficult to find food.’"

But we refuse to accept this information because it calls into question the idea of "Man the Destroyer." Man, unlike any other animal, must be inherently evil and destructive.
Ludi

Unread postby Rod_Cloutier » Sat 15 Jan 2011, 12:15:31

The are wasting science grants to pursue 'White mammoth' projects with no social benefits.

Last week I waited 4 hours at a walk-in medical clinic to see a doctor, only to be told I had a viral cold and they couldn't give me anything for it.

A better use for science grants would be to develop anti-viral medicines for the cure of common colds and other infections. Why in this time of economic depression are we devoting scarce resources to clone extinct mammoths, while real problems go unsolved?
Last edited by Rod_Cloutier on Sat 15 Jan 2011, 12:17:13, edited 1 time in total.
Rod_Cloutier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby anador » Sat 15 Jan 2011, 12:15:40

If this process succeeds whose to say we can't return some more recent extinctions to life...

You know, the ones that definitely are our fault?

It would be great to have tasmanian tigers, dodos, passenger pigeons, heath hens, carolina parakeets, albatross and some moas running around again
@#$% highways
anador
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Ludi » Sat 15 Jan 2011, 12:19:58

I'm pretty sure the albatross is not extinct...yet.

Wouldn't it make more sense to spend our efforts on preserving the habitats of those animals which are still extant?
Ludi

Unread postby anador » Sat 15 Jan 2011, 12:29:15

Ludi wrote:I'm pretty sure the albatross is not extinct...yet.

Wouldn't it make more sense to spend our efforts on preserving the habitats of those animals which are still extant?

Ha :oops: I meant Great Auk
@#$% highways
anador
Coal
Coal

Next

Return to Open Topic Discussion