Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Delta's Scam to Undercut $800 Involuntary bumping

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Delta's Scam to Undercut $800 Involuntary bumping

Unread postby bratticus » Sat 15 Jan 2011, 10:55:10

Fly-Rights - A Consumer Guide to Air Travel
... skip ...

Involuntary bumping

... skip ...

* If the substitute transportation is scheduled to get you to your destination more than two hours later (four hours internationally), or if the airline does not make any substitute travel arrangements for you, the compensation doubles (200% of your one-way fare, $800 maximum).

... skip ...

But with oil over $90/barrel they'll use any scam they can pull off to keep the costs down.

Delta Has Created A New Silent Auction To Bump Passengers To Later Flights

Katya Wachtel

... skip ...

Here's how it works:

Passengers who check in with Delta online before leaving for the airport or at kiosks before going through security can type in the dollar amount they would accept from the airline to be bumped from their flight. Delta can then accept the lowest bids, eliminating a lot of the uncertainty early.

... skip ...

In fact, it feels like the customers are definitely losing out. Experienced travelers will probably lose, because their novice counterparts will bid so low, perhaps unaware that airlines usually pay a minimum of $200 to bumped fliers. And the novices could get ripped off.

"The bidding methods could burn inexperienced travelers who offer a low bid," the Atlanta Journal Constitution said, but "experienced travelers, meanwhile, may find themselves undercut in the effort to collect vouchers."

Also the more passengers Delta can get to voluntarily delay themselves, the better: the Transportation Department wants to force airlines to pay involuntarily bumped fliers up to $1,300. Now, forced bumps get $800.

... skip ...
bratticus
Permanently Banned

Re: Delta's Scam to Undercut $800 Involuntary bumping

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sun 16 Jan 2011, 02:04:08

I hate airlines, and I refuse to fly. Too many outrageous goings-on, including "giving up your rights" when you fly commercial these days.

However, I don't see how this is a scam. It seems like a smart thing for Delta to try.

Notice that any passenger that VOLUNTARILY signs up for this eliminates someone from being involuntarily bumped. If someone WANTS to sign up to be bumped for a fairly low price -- why is that a problem?

I recall when college students used to buy tickets to fly at Christmas -- hoping to be bumped and get a nice payday. Nothing wrong with that, but now they have plenty of competition, most likely.

I don't think airlines should be allowed to deliberately overbook by 8-10 percent and then plan to bump when too many people show up. People may bet involuntarily bumped this way, and considering the airline is violating a contract to fly someone on a given flight for the ticket price - that's the crime.

If this practice will help keep folks from being involuntaily bumped -- all the better.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby AirlinePilot » Tue 18 Jan 2011, 03:54:19

Dont see any "scam" here either. Its probably a creative and better solution than what existed before. All the airlines do the bump thing and base it on years of market data for each flight.
AirlinePilot

Unread postby Sixstrings » Tue 18 Jan 2011, 10:38:35

AirlinePilot wrote:Dont see any "scam" here either. Its probably a creative and better solution than what existed before. All the airlines do the bump thing and base it on years of market data for each flight.

Yeah makes sense to me.. let those willing to be bumped get bumped, and much more efficient to have it automated rather than an airline employee yelling out to a big crowd "Ok, we're overboooked, would anyone be willing..." -- that just pisses everyone off, automate it and everyone's happy.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Return to Open Topic Discussion