Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Wolves are better than (domesticated) humans

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Wolves are better than (domesticated) humans

Unread postby paimei01 » Sat 15 Jan 2011, 16:22:03

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... ith-wolves

"I moved to the wild. The first time I got up close to a wolf, within around 30 metres, any fear I had quickly turned to respect. I stayed in a den area, a remote spot where wolves look after their young, and very soon one pack began to trust me. I lived with them day and night, and from the start they accepted me into their group. I ate what they ate, mostly raw deer and elk, which they would often bring back for me, or fruit and berries. I never fell ill and my body adapted quickly to its new diet. It's easy to look back and think, "What horrible food", but when you haven't eaten for a week, it looks appetising.

I couldn't hunt, but I soon became useful looking after the younger ones. I would spend days sitting outside the den, observing their behaviour and trying to make sure they kept out of danger.

I stayed with the same pack for over a year, watching pups grow to adulthood. I never missed human contact during that time.

I felt a tremendous sense of belonging with the wolves. Whenever I began to think about my old life, I would quickly switch my thoughts back; in terms of survival, I had constantly to focus on my new habitat. Although I didn't see anyone, there were people back at the reservation and I had a rendezvous point where I could leave messages if I felt I was in danger. I was only ever truly scared on two occasions: once, when all the wolves were feeding, I ate the wrong piece of meat – there is a strict hierarchy of who eats what part of an animal – and one of the wolves leapt on me in seconds because of my mistake. He took my entire face in his mouth and started to squeeze hard. I could feel the bones in my jaw begin to bend, and in that split-second I realised how vulnerable I was and how restrained they were most of the time.

The other time, I wanted to get a drink from the stream and one of the wolves stopped me dead in my tracks, growling, snarling and nipping me. I thought, "This is the end, he's going to finish me off." An hour or so later, he started to lick my face and we both went to the stream for a drink. There I saw evidence of recent bear tracks and droppings, and I realised this was why he guarded me. I would almost certainly have been killed but, more importantly, my tracks would have led back to their young, so it was for their protection."

--

Explain this, those that say "dog eat dog, survival of the fittest". Maybe those wolves were mad ? Feeding a human, that did not hunt ? "Wait - they threatened him". A lawyers would say this. If they wanted him out - it was too easy to kill him or make him leave.

Simillar stories, regarding wild humans:
http://paimei01.blogspot.com/2009/08/pr ... hange.html
http://paimei01.blogspot.com/
One day there will be so many houses, that people will be bored and will go live in tents. "Why are you living in tents ? Are there not enough homes ?" "Yes there are, but we play this Economy game". Now it's "Crisis" time !Too many houses! Yes, we are insane!
paimei01
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: Wolves are better than (domesticated) humans

Unread postby Serial_Worrier » Sat 15 Jan 2011, 16:49:59

Dude - you're insane.
Serial_Worrier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby mos6507 » Sat 15 Jan 2011, 19:22:18

^^^^^^

Ad hom deleted in 3, 2, 1.
mos6507

Unread postby paimei01 » Sat 15 Jan 2011, 19:24:49

Serial_Worrier wrote:Dude - you're insane.

One day there will be so many houses, that people will be bored and will go live in tents. "Why are you living in tents ? Are there not enough homes ?" "Yes there are, but we play this Economy game". Now it's "Crisis" time !Too many houses! Yes, we are insane!
paimei01
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Novus » Sat 15 Jan 2011, 19:27:52

This sounds like a work of fiction to me.
Novus
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sat 15 Jan 2011, 19:58:20

Novus wrote:This sounds like a work of fiction to me.

Looks like Serious Business to me :lol: :

'One of the wolves took my entire face in his mouth and started to squeeze hard. I could feel the bones in my jaw begin to bend.'
'I ate what they ate, mostly raw deer and elk, which they would often bring back for me, or fruit and berries'
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/jan/15/i-lived-with-wolves

British papers are sensationalist, don't take this too seriously. They're also obsessed with articles about fat Americans.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby dinopello » Sat 15 Jan 2011, 21:08:58

Wolves will take you in if you agree to their system of government and assimilate into the culture. I have much respect for wolf culture. It's pretty harsh sometimes though.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby DomusAlbion » Sat 15 Jan 2011, 21:30:05

There are lots of wolves in our area. They're kind of nice folk. They come over for dinner now and then but they're always polite and clean up the carcass before they leave.

Oh, and they also sing beautifully. Isn't life grand! :)

P.S. Some people don't appreciate them because there always seems to be a young calf or two missing. Those mean people like to blame the nice wolf family. I call it blood libel!

In other news: "Aliens stole my goiter!"
"Modern Agriculture is the use of land to convert petroleum into food."
-- Albert Bartlett

"It will be a dark time. But for those who survive, I suspect it will be rather exciting."
-- James Lovelock
DomusAlbion
Expert
Expert

Unread postby paimei01 » Sun 16 Jan 2011, 04:15:06

“According to an ethics, followed by every sort of creature within the community of life, sharks as well as sheep, killer bees as well as butterflies, you may compete to the full extent of your capabilities, but you may not hunt down your competitors or destroy their food or deny them access to food. In other words, you may compete, but you may not wage war. This ethics is violated at every point by practitioners of totalitarian agriculture”

http://www.wowessays.com/dbase/af4/seg61.shtml

People practice totalitarian agriculture when they forget who they are. We are the same as the wolves. Life in a different form. Tribal people don't see animals as - beasts, evil, "killing machines" (Discovery). They see them as "people". The other kind of people, the wolf people, the bear people. People with a different appearance. "We are all related."
This has nothing to do with "let's all be friends in Disneyland".

http://www.indigenouspeople.net/standbea.htm
"The old Lakota was wise. He knew that a man's heart away from Nature becomes hard; he knew that lack of respect for growing, living things soon lead to a lack of respect for humans too."

"Knowledge was inherent in all things. The world was a library and its books were the stones, leaves, grass, brooks and the birds and animals that shared, alike with us, the storms and blessings of the earth. We learn to do what only the student of nature ever learns, and that is to feel beauty. We never rail at the storms, the furious winds, the biting frosts and snows. To do so intensifies human futility, so whatever comes we should adjust ourselves by more effort and energy if necessary, but without complaint. Bright days and dark days are both expressions of the Great Mystery, and the Indian reveled in being close the the Great Holiness."

-Chief Luther Standing Bear
paimei01
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby davep » Sun 16 Jan 2011, 07:59:45

Sixstrings wrote:
Novus wrote:This sounds like a work of fiction to me.

Looks like Serious Business to me :lol: :

'One of the wolves took my entire face in his mouth and started to squeeze hard. I could feel the bones in my jaw begin to bend.'
'I ate what they ate, mostly raw deer and elk, which they would often bring back for me, or fruit and berries'
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/jan/15/i-lived-with-wolves

British papers are sensationalist, don't take this too seriously. They're also obsessed with articles about fat Americans.

The Guardian isn't sensasionalist. And he is English. Apart from that, spot on.
What we think, we become.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sun 16 Jan 2011, 08:21:12

davep wrote:The Guardian isn't sensasionalist. And he is English.

Help me out here.. if the Scots aren't British, the Welsh aren't British, the Northern Irish aren't British, and the English aren't British.. then who IS British?
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby davep » Sun 16 Jan 2011, 14:56:46

Sixstrings wrote:
davep wrote:The Guardian isn't sensasionalist. And he is English.

Help me out here.. if the Scots aren't British, the Welsh aren't British, the Northern Irish aren't British, and the English aren't British.. then who IS British?

They're British, but woe betide anyone who calls them English...
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby highlander » Tue 18 Jan 2011, 13:29:18

Does anybody on this forum really believe this happened?
This is where everybody puts profound words written by another...or not so profound words written by themselves
Highlander 2007
highlander
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby davep » Tue 18 Jan 2011, 13:57:52

highlander wrote:Does anybody on this forum really believe this happened?

I'm not sure, but he does seem to be at ease with wolves:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5rN1m2nJzk&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv0FXQ8IA5A&feature=related
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Return to Open Topic Discussion