Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Following job apps

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Following job apps

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Fri 21 Jan 2011, 09:56:02

There must be a few posters here who apply for a LOT of jobs?
I have decided the best response to rejection is to VENT on the Aholes. I am sick to death of arrogant namby pamby idiot personell managers.

It has never taken me longer than a week to get a job, once I am back in Oz. But I apply for dozens over a month or so before I get there, via the net. These f&@$ don't even read applications, then invite me to a group interview. This in a field where my experience and quals are way over any applicant.

So recently I decided "I'm not going to take it anymore!" Readers here know my vitriol can be a tad vicious.

If I am treated poorly by managers, etc. I give them hell. I know I will get a job sooner or later anyway.
I know if they are treating me like their footmat, they will be doing likewise to many others.

So I kick them as hard as I can.

I won't go into details now. This is a pet hate of mine.

Am I alone?
Last edited by Ferretlover on Fri 21 Jan 2011, 23:40:21, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Cleaned up post title.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Re: Following job apps. w/ up yours! MF!

Unread postby pup55 » Fri 21 Jan 2011, 10:51:58

Why stop with the personnel guy?

If someone is an idiot, shouldn't someone call him or her out on it? In your travels during the day, surely come across a dozen people that are clueless, not paying attention, incompetent....

You're in a business meeting, the guy (or woman) giving the presentation is completely stupid and wasting everyone's time, why not jump up and point it out? There was an article the other day on another thread, someone will have to remind us of where it was, Dimitri Orlov, I think, that correctly points out that we stopped doing that at some point and it is really causing a lot of problems by allowing incompetent people into positions of responsibility....it is particularly a problem with the educational system right now, we have developed a system in which it is unacceptable for anyone to tell a kid he or she is bad at something.

So here is your challenge of the day: The next time you come across any situation where you are dealing with an idiot, discharge some vitriol on him or her and see what happens.

My guess is you will end up in jail by the end of the day because people are so unaccustomed to hearing it, particularly the cop who is called to the scene when the poor little clerk at Starbucks who goofed up your latte has her feelings hurt....
pup55
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Fri 21 Jan 2011, 11:30:22

As stressful as job seeking is and as deserving of vitriol as they may be would it not be better to not burn any bridges behind you? If you get up in a meeting and point out someones incompetence what will be remembered is you being a complete AH and the cause of your diatribe will be forgotten or even protected. Saying something that subtly tells the smart people in the room that you are competent and the speaker is not ,then leaving it ,is a better plan. All the better if Mr./ Ms. incompetent doesn't catch the put down and keeps prattling on.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Fri 21 Jan 2011, 11:37:12

I would never pick on anyone on minimum wage. I'm not deleted myself!!!
Being from Darwin, the broken jaw capital of the world:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... world.html
and living in the country where this happens:
http://www.youtube.com/verify_age?next_ ... FdJUcKidh4
I don't worry too much about upsetting deleted department managers.
I have never landed in jail for mouthing off but I have been kicked out of one for it!
I must have some weird streak.
I would seriously rather migrate than put up with this deleted.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby vision-master » Fri 21 Jan 2011, 12:00:06

vtsnowedin wrote:As stressful as job seeking is and as deserving of vitriol as they may be would it not be better to not burn any bridges behind you? If you get up in a meeting and point out someones incompetence what will be remembered is you being a complete AH and the cause of your diatribe will be forgotten or even protected. Saying something that subtly tells the smart people in the room that you are competent and the speaker is not ,then leaving it ,is a better plan. All the better if Mr./ Ms. incompetent doesn't catch the put down and keeps prattling on.

Fook that, just go to the head guy direct. :)

Why work for arseholes.......?
vision-master

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Fri 21 Jan 2011, 12:05:26

Because one of my countries wants me to add to the global population burden I get 6 MONTHS PAID LEAVE THIS YEAR!!! How cool is that? I am going to take you guys advice and go to the top every time some goofball blows me off! God bless and thanks for all the great advice.... :)
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby pup55 » Fri 21 Jan 2011, 12:08:28

I need to come and party with you sometime. Better make sure my insurance is paid up....

You're probably right on the issue of not picking at the oompa loompas.... it's not necessarily their fault.

Over in the US, at least, HR people are in their jobs to stop things from happening. They stop people from getting hired (there are a lot of procedures and ratings systems put in place to keep the organization from hiring people on either end of the bell curve), they sometimes keep people from being fired (there's a process, occasionally, of probation and other levels of purgatory for people who are otherwise at the end of the bell curve), they are gatekeepers, in a sense.

So, being efficient, productive, and having them use common sense is not in their core job description. Their whole personality is process-oriented, rather than results oriented....

Peter was right. When they reach a certain stage in their development, some of these organizations screen out talented and creative people when it becomes more important to preserve the existing hierarchy. They don't want a lot of smart people around, they want obedient people around...Peter's Third Law: "Super Competence is more dangerous than Super Incompetence" applies in this case.....Naturally, when TSHTF and there is some kind of a big change in the economy or in their industry, they are completely paralyzed because they've screened out all of the people that are innovative enough to drive the change.
pup55
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Fri 21 Jan 2011, 12:15:08

Man, reading that was like a full scale acid flash back!
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Fri 21 Jan 2011, 12:43:13

Ok then you are all invited to party in the Philippines. My friends will deal with anyone picking fights.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Maddog78 » Fri 21 Jan 2011, 12:49:33

Yeah, keep the global tourism industry going.
Don't want to have all those jets flying around the world empty. :-D
Maddog78
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Fri 21 Jan 2011, 13:06:28

Maddog you are 100% psychic!
I am about to save some of those empty seats for some people who work in your industry and want to go surfing! No Bull. Do you surf?
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Maddog78 » Fri 21 Jan 2011, 14:59:46

No.
I never did surf and now I'm too old to try.
I like PWC's though.

It's been a long time since I was in the Phillipines.
I was over doing a job off Palawan back in '92. That was pretty cool.
Maddog78
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Fri 21 Jan 2011, 17:13:56

SeaGypsy wrote:If I am treated poorly by managers, etc. I give them hell. I know I will get a job sooner or later anyway.
I know if they are treating me like their footmat, they will be doing likewise to many others.

Well.. if you "give them hell" then that hiring manager is just going to think "whew, thank God I didn't hire him." Giving them hell, especially if you're not an employee and are just looking for a job, isn't going to solve anything.

How about work for yourself? A lot of people do your kind of work here in the states as private contractors.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Fri 21 Jan 2011, 23:02:09

That is where I'm heading.
I admitted in the opening paragraph I am just venting.

Pup55's comment is spot on.
As I have been working in the NGO sector (which is in Australia mostly government funded) in the most remote provincial area in the country, I see a hell of a lot of rusted on incompetence. I am at the point now where I don't care what my industry thinks of me.

I basicly got booted from the Australia/ NZ glass blowing scene 10 years ago because I mouthed off about safe chemical process handling and how the current practices killed my father and 3 of our staff.
I have had ex bosses in the nursing jobs who have their favorite moron. When I have pointed out the incompetence, guess who gets punished? Me.

I am still fit enough in my early 40's to do roofing labour, which will make me the same amount I get nursing and won't do my head in.

I have 2 small businesses here in the Philippines, but not enough profit to justify quitting working in Australia. If BAU continues this year (I think it will), I will be leading surf tour groups from Australia to remote Philippine islands. We have surf here to rival Hawaii and Bali, but even at the closest surf to Manila, crowds are rare. Anyone who surfs knows the frustration of crowded breaks.
I am keeping my boat project somewhat under wraps until it is in the water, as I am using a totally innovative method; I hope to make a world first in eco-yacht building/ sailing.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Dreamtwister » Sat 22 Jan 2011, 01:48:58

Sixstrings wrote:How about work for yourself?

Best remark in the whole thread, right here. When did we go from "Do something great" to "Get a good job"?
The whole of human history is a refutation by experiment of the concept of "moral world order". - Friedrich Nietzsche
Dreamtwister
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Following job apps

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sat 22 Jan 2011, 02:04:27

I don't think I am doing too badly.
Being able to get to just personal surplus enough to have about half my time off each year has allowed me to do a lot of travelling and investigating of opportunities in my part of the world.
All well and good to say: "Hey do something great!" but without surplus hand to mouth existence is much the same whether on $5 a day in Asia or $1000 a week in Australia.
It takes time, money, effort and sacrifice to live with any degree of freedom.
I agree fully though with the ethos of self actualisation implied.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Re: Following job apps

Unread postby Vogelzang » Sun 23 Jan 2011, 21:25:14

SeaGypsy wrote:There must be a few posters here who apply for a LOT of jobs?
I have decided the best response to rejection is to VENT on the Aholes. I am sick to death of arrogant namby pamby idiot personell managers.

It has never taken me longer than a week to get a job, once I am back in Oz. But I apply for dozens over a month or so before I get there, via the net. These f&@$ don't even read applications, then invite me to a group interview. This in a field where my experience and quals are way over any applicant.

So recently I decided "I'm not going to take it anymore!" Readers here know my vitriol can be a tad vicious.

If I am treated poorly by managers, etc. I give them hell. I know I will get a job sooner or later anyway.

So I kick them as hard as I can.

I won't go into details now. This is a pet hate of mine.

Am I alone?

People who believe in AGW are responsible for your problem. You need to vent your anger at them.
Vogelzang
Permanently Banned

Return to Open Topic Discussion