Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Music: Happiness in the midst of economic doom

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Music: Happiness in the midst of economic doom

Unread postby Rod_Cloutier » Mon 24 Jan 2011, 22:03:41

I've noticed that many members of these forums recently have 'taken a holiday' from this site and news in general. I'm starting to get tired of 'doom and gloom' myself.

I feel a stifling feeling from at least twenty years of social stagnation. What happened to the super rock bands of the 60's,70's and 80's? What happened to TV; I yearn for a series of the quality of Barney Miller, or the original Miami Vice? I feel globalism has made us culturally dead and that we've lost something important on the path to our current lives.

Twenty years of rap, of people competing to rise to the top of imaginary social ladders that have no ceiling, social alienation to the extreme point that most people, even in large cities, spend most of their time alone.

Maybe the road to economic and enviromental doom will mean a chance for cultural revival? We need 'Bob Marley's' playing music to ordinary folks in the ruins. Anything would be better than a continuation of this social stagnation!

Here are some new videos by one of the few existing bands still making rock music in this age of despair, to cheer us all up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppynaJ_CEE4&ob=av2em

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC_mdCErpYE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FV2ILnnTa0

I hope it helps!
Last edited by Ferretlover on Tue 25 Jan 2011, 00:33:38, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: aDDED KEYWORD TO TITLE.
Rod_Cloutier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: Happiness in the midst of economic doom

Unread postby mos6507 » Mon 24 Jan 2011, 22:35:22

Going through a mid-life crisis at the same time as doom is a double-whammy. This was my recent response, with another band that has an 80s vibe to it.
mos6507

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Mon 24 Jan 2011, 22:56:31

I think we are all stuck with the music playing on the radio during our pubescent years and early childhoods; dementia wards are going to be mahem when generation X replaces the boomers (assuming there is such a thing in 30 to 40 years).
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby mos6507 » Mon 24 Jan 2011, 23:09:40

SeaGypsy wrote:I think we are all stuck with the music playing on the radio during our pubescent years and early childhoods; dementia wards are going to be mahem when generation X replaces the boomers (assuming there is such a thing in 30 to 40 years).

You actually think there's gonna be a dementia ward in 30-40 years? Gee, you're corny ;)
mos6507

Unread postby Shar_Lamagne » Mon 24 Jan 2011, 23:24:10

Gov't Mule is like Early-Mid 70's Rock. Bad Company/Lynyrd Skynyrd type sound.

Also Black Label Society.

Black Label Society Live

And Taddy Porter
We are not so much as disillusioned but illusion free – Miranda Devine - journalist
Shar_Lamagne
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Pretorian » Mon 24 Jan 2011, 23:40:30

mos6507 wrote:
SeaGypsy wrote:I think we are all stuck with the music playing on the radio during our pubescent years and early childhoods; dementia wards are going to be mahem when generation X replaces the boomers (assuming there is such a thing in 30 to 40 years).

You actually think there's gonna be a dementia ward in 30-40 years? Gee, you're corny ;)

He lives in Australia. Assuming they'll manage to put a 0.5 machine gun every 1000 feet or so along their Northen shore, they will have a lot of stuff in 30-40 years.
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Shar_Lamagne » Tue 25 Jan 2011, 00:03:59

Taddy Porter's cover of She's So Heavy.

Taddy PorterShake Me

Gov't Mule's cover of Dear Mr Fantasy

Yes, it's still going on somewhere.
We are not so much as disillusioned but illusion free – Miranda Devine - journalist
Shar_Lamagne
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby americandream » Tue 25 Jan 2011, 00:11:01

Repent wrote:I've noticed that many members of these forums recently have 'taken a holiday' from this site and news in general. I'm starting to get tired of 'doom and gloom' myself.

I feel a stifling feeling from at least twenty years of social stagnation. What happened to the super rock bands of the 60's,70's and 80's? What happened to TV; I yearn for a series of the quality of Barney Miller, or the original Miami Vice? I feel globalism has made us culturally dead and that we've lost something important on the path to our current lives.

Twenty years of rap, of people competing to rise to the top of imaginary social ladders that have no ceiling, social alienation to the extreme point that most people, even in large cities, spend most of their time alone.

Maybe the road to economic and enviromental doom will mean a chance for cultural revival? We need 'Bob Marley's' playing music to ordinary folks in the ruins. Anything would be better than a continuation of this social stagnation!

Here are some new videos by one of the few existing bands still making rock music in this age of despair, to cheer us all up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppynaJ_CEE4&ob=av2em

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC_mdCErpYE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FV2ILnnTa0

I hope it helps!

The roots for today's globalism lay in the then regionalism you so yearn, and in the very synthesis of the social order that we live under. There can never be a going back as tomorrow's world lies in todays experiences.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Rod_Cloutier » Tue 25 Jan 2011, 00:16:09

This you tube video has more than 44 million views, a sad and compelling video set in the atmosphere of Urban and social decay in the United States:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbJtYqBYCV8

This is what I'm talking about, renewal of culture through a period of collapse. A new young grass roots culture emerging like a phoenix from the ashes of the ruins of our dead culture. You can just feel the despair young people must have growing up in America today by watching this short video.
Rod_Cloutier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Shar_Lamagne » Tue 25 Jan 2011, 00:21:24

Black Label Society Stoned and Drunk
Shar_Lamagne
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: Music: Happiness in the midst of economic doom

Unread postby FairMaiden » Tue 25 Jan 2011, 02:58:45

Yes, I couldn't agree more with this post. It definitely resonates with me...I'm just back from a long hiatus. I don't even watch or read the news anymore. Why bother? Better to spend my time being happy and not wasting...just in case...
FairMaiden
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby mos6507 » Tue 25 Jan 2011, 09:55:26

Pretorian wrote:He lives in Australia. Assuming they'll manage to put a 0.5 machine gun every 1000 feet or so along their Northen shore, they will have a lot of stuff in 30-40 years.

What's so special about Australia that you think that?

mos6507

Unread postby mos6507 » Tue 25 Jan 2011, 10:00:42

Repent wrote:This you tube video has more than 44 million views, a sad and compelling video set in the atmosphere of Urban and social decay in the United States:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbJtYqBYCV8

This is what I'm talking about, renewal of culture through a period of collapse. A new young grass roots culture emerging like a phoenix from the ashes of the ruins of our dead culture. You can just feel the despair young people must have growing up in America today by watching this short video.

This one's a little more up my alley.

Change your heart, look around you.
Change your heart, it will astound you.
Everybody's gotta learn sometime.
mos6507

Unread postby vision-master » Tue 25 Jan 2011, 10:05:38

Slipknot is what's happening with the young ppl - I think they are guitar gods.

There are many great bands today.

Slipknot - (Sic) - Live Download 2009
vision-master

Unread postby Pretorian » Tue 25 Jan 2011, 12:25:49

mos6507 wrote:
Pretorian wrote:He lives in Australia. Assuming they'll manage to put a 0.5 machine gun every 1000 feet or so along their Northen shore, they will have a lot of stuff in 30-40 years.

What's so special about Australia that you think that?

Eeeh... Loads of resources and very few people ? Sounds like a good combination to me.
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Maddog78 » Tue 25 Jan 2011, 12:50:13

Maddog78
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby mos6507 » Tue 25 Jan 2011, 12:51:52

Pretorian wrote:Eeeh... Loads of resources and very few people ? Sounds like a good combination to me.

What are those loads of resources you speak of? A drought-ravaged land most of the time, followed by periodic apocalyptic floods? Doesn't sound like my idea of paradise. Sure, they've got coal, but you can't eat coal. Now New Zealand, that's probably more of a lifeboat.
mos6507

Unread postby Maddog78 » Tue 25 Jan 2011, 12:58:24

btw, speaking of music, I just bought this sick, custom painted, Jackson Randy Rhoads V guitar.

Maddog78
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby davep » Tue 25 Jan 2011, 18:36:46

I like this from a more modern beat combo

http://muse.mu/page.aspx?page=christmas2010
What we think, we become.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby fonzcad3 » Tue 25 Jan 2011, 19:12:50

There's tons of good music coming out right now. Generally people who claim "there's nothing good that has come out since the 70s" aren't paying attention. Funny that you point the Scissor Sisters as a shining example, because their brand of kitschy gay-friendly rock is pretty awesome, but could probably be surpassed by other bands doign more creative or innovative things.

Like, check out these:

Chromeo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd57i0TWoW0
Fleet foxes - basically all of their songs are awesome
Deerhunter
Band of Horses
Broken Bells

And that's just the beginning of my ipod list. Also, there's a ton of innovation around electronic music and even great rap out there. I refuse to accept that rock from the 70s is the shining star of all music. I listen to Led Zeppellin now an enjoy it for sure, but to say nothing good is coming out now means you probably aren't paying attention. If anything I think the internet and the rise of independent labels has allowed for the democratization and spread of more good bands than ever before. "Popular" is a term of the past. Believe me, no matter what you like, there are TONS of bands out there playing in that style, even in 70s style rock. Turn off your radio and do some research - check out pandora, lastfm, or some similar suggestion based radio station.
fonzcad3
Wood
Wood

Next

Return to Open Topic Discussion