Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Bye Bye North America

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Bye Bye North America

Unread postby dolanbaker » Tue 25 Jan 2011, 00:41:21

Is the world's largest super-volcano set to erupt for the first time in 600,000 years, wiping out two-thirds of the U.S.?
The super-volcano beneath Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming has been rising at a record rate since 2004

It would explode with a force a thousand times more powerful than the Mount St Helens eruption in 1980.
Spewing lava far into the sky, a cloud of plant-killing ash would fan out and dump a layer 10ft deep up to 1,000 miles away.

Two-thirds of the U.S. could become uninhabitable as toxic air sweeps through it, grounding thousands of flights and forcing millions to leave their homes

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... ds-US.html

OK doomsters, what do you think are the chances of this happening in our lifetime?
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Bye Bye North America

Unread postby Ferretlover » Tue 25 Jan 2011, 00:48:41

You will find a great many opinions by reading the Earthquake or Yellowstone or volcano threads in the Environment forum. :)
"Open the gates of hell!" ~Morgan Freeman's character in the movie, Olympus Has Fallen.
Ferretlover
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Novus » Tue 25 Jan 2011, 02:59:16

Probably less than a 1% chance it will happen in the next 100 years. Not something to really be concerned about. Not when in the same time period PO will have high probability of causing a human die off event through famine, war, and economic upheaval.
Novus
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby NickyBoy » Tue 25 Jan 2011, 09:12:44

The first thing I thought was

"If this happens and all the resource consuming Americans died, the world would be a better place and the rest of us might just have a chance of pulling through all the peak resource events that are approaching"

That makes me feel dirty :(
NickyBoy
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Pretorian » Tue 25 Jan 2011, 10:50:09

NickyBoy wrote:The first thing I thought was

"If this happens and all the resource consuming Americans died, the world would be a better place and the rest of us might just have a chance of pulling through all the peak resource events that are approaching"

What if all the respource producing Americans will die, the world will be a better place too? Or may be third-worlders will pour in in droves and , skipping welfare and other freebies, will suddenly start growing corn and wheat everywhere, dig coal and send it back to their relatives all over the world, and will be doing so for the rest of eternity
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby NickyBoy » Tue 25 Jan 2011, 12:25:49

Pretorian wrote:
NickyBoy wrote:The first thing I thought was

What if all the respource producing Americans will die, the world will be a better place too? Or may be third-worlders will pour in in droves and , skipping welfare and other freebies, will suddenly start growing corn and wheat everywhere, dig coal and send it back to their relatives all over the world, and will be doing so for the rest of eternity

If ‘the breadbasket’ was wiped clean of its current occupants, while at the same time having its mineral content rejuvenated by the super volcanoes magma/ash….then yes. Damn straight people would be moving in.

It would be like the New World being discovered all over again, without any locals to displace.

We would just have to remember not to over-tax our colonials this time.It makes them irritable and, in the long run, can lead to delusions of grandeur.
NickyBoy
Peat
Peat

Unread postby gnm » Tue 25 Jan 2011, 12:43:16

Sorry bud but if this goes off you are going to be hard pressed to grow crops anywhere in the world for 5 years or so... I expect it would get REAL cold and dark over there in the UK/EU.

-G
gnm

Unread postby Maddog78 » Tue 25 Jan 2011, 13:01:19

If the western half of North America gets blown up this idiot thinks it would somehow be good news for the U.K.?
:lol:
Maddog78
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Rod_Cloutier » Tue 20 Jun 2017, 04:07:59

Yellowstone volcano wakes up- (not good news):

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-06-1 ... ast-7-days

I would like to try to describe for you what a full-blown eruption of the Yellowstone supervolcano would mean for this country.

Hundreds of cubic miles of ash, rock and lava would be blasted into the atmosphere, and this would likely plunge much of the northern hemisphere into several days of complete darkness. Virtually everything within 100 miles of Yellowstone would be immediately killed, but a much more cruel fate would befall those that live in major cities outside of the immediate blast zone such as Salt Lake City and Denver.

Hot volcanic ash, rock and dust would rain down on those cities literally for weeks. In the end, it would be extremely difficult for anyone living in those communities to survive. In fact, it has been estimated that 90 percent of all people living within 600 miles of Yellowstone would be killed.

Experts project that such an eruption would dump a layer of volcanic ash that is at least 10 feet deep up to 1,000 miles away, and approximately two-thirds of the United States would suddenly become uninhabitable. The volcanic ash would severely contaminate most of our water supplies, and growing food in the middle of the country would become next to impossible.

In other words, it would be the end of our country as we know it today.

The rest of the planet, and this would especially be true for the northern hemisphere, would experience what is known as a “nuclear winter”. An extreme period of “global cooling” would take place, and temperatures around the world would fall by up to 20 degrees. Crops would fail all over the planet, and severe famine would sweep the globe.

In the end, billions could die
Rod_Cloutier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby jedrider » Wed 21 Jun 2017, 16:38:50

Yeah, sort of like a 'good news' item. Other than dying, I don't see any drawbacks of such an event? Wouldn't it lick climate change?

Of course, I would like to know how to survive such an event, the survival instinct being what it is.
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 21 Jun 2017, 20:49:20

dolanbaker wrote:
Is the world's largest super-volcano set to erupt for the first time in 600,000 years, wiping out two-thirds of the U.S.?
The super-volcano beneath Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming has been rising at a record rate since 2004

It would explode with a force a thousand times more powerful than the Mount St Helens eruption in 1980.
Spewing lava far into the sky, a cloud of plant-killing ash would fan out and dump a layer 10ft deep up to 1,000 miles away.

Two-thirds of the U.S. could become uninhabitable as toxic air sweeps through it, grounding thousands of flights and forcing millions to leave their homes

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... ds-US.html

OK doomsters, what do you think are the chances of this happening in our lifetime?

Lifetime? There are some silly doomers who were claiming this was going to happen the LAST time there were swarms in Yellowstone. This is like...peak Yellowstone doom, resembling how poorly peak oil doom went, deja vu all over again!

Earthquakes!! It must be frackings fault!!!
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Cog » Wed 21 Jun 2017, 21:28:06

So it would be like The Road. Count me in.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Return to Open Topic Discussion