Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Amazing New Global Economic Supercycle! 30-Year Boom Ahead!

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Amazing New Global Economic Supercycle! 30-Year Boom Ahead!

Unread postby copious.abundance » Wed 26 Jan 2011, 20:27:23

LINK 1
For only the third time since the Industrial Revolution, the world may be entering a long-term growth cycle that will lift all economies simultaneously, driving bond yields and commodity prices higher.

LINK 2
The economy is in the midst of a thirty year super-cycle that will see Asia boom to become the dominant economic force in the world, according to Standard Chartered.

The world has been through this before: once from 1870 until 1913, and again from the end of World War II until 1973.

I'm so excited!! :lol:
Stuff for doomers to contemplate:
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1190117.html#p1190117
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1193930.html#p1193930
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1206767.html#p1206767
copious.abundance
Fission
Fission

Re: Amazing New Global Economic Supercycle! 30-Year Boom Ahe

Unread postby Cloud9 » Wed 26 Jan 2011, 21:04:49

Hopium
Cloud9
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Wed 26 Jan 2011, 21:09:24

pstarr wrote:And what will power this Glorious Global Supercycle? Unobtanium, dilithium crystals, whale oil?

Read his article. This is the news out of Davos, so it must be true. :roll:
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Wed 26 Jan 2011, 21:49:48

In the period mentioned world population was less than a fifth of what it is now.
Oil was just coming online.
The premise of Asian dominance might be correct but the control will be with the 1%ers not ordinary Asians. The ordinary worker playing field is levelling out on an overall downslope under the weight of resource constraints and population. No Asian techno boom is about to lift 3+ billion Asians to 1st world standards, let alone doing so with enough left over for everyone else; not a chance.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Wed 26 Jan 2011, 21:52:31

pstarr wrote:And what will power this Glorious Global Supercycle? Unobtanium, dilithium crystals, whale oil?

Isn't this the famous Pie in the Sky Nebula? :
Or how about:

The business press are always cheerleaders for economic growth. When they go totally Pollyannic is it time to worry?
Last edited by Keith_McClary on Wed 26 Jan 2011, 22:15:07, edited 1 time in total.
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby joewp » Wed 26 Jan 2011, 22:12:48

Thanks, OF. That was a good laugh.

And now I've finally figured out why you're here...

Comic Relief!!!
Joe P. joeparente.com
"Only when the last tree is cut; only when the last river is polluted; only when the last fish is caught; only then will they realize that you cannot eat money." - Cree Indian Proverb
joewp
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby americandream » Wed 26 Jan 2011, 22:57:44

I've tried explaining the last stages of the capitalist boom and bust cycle and it simply hasn't seeped through into his cranial cavity. He cannot grasp the nature of accumulation.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Daniel_Plainview » Wed 26 Jan 2011, 23:25:55

Amazing New Global Economic Supercycle! 30-Year Boom Ahead

This is great news ... Now I have another 30 years to expand my collection of unicorns, rainbows, fairies, lollipops, pixie dust, and mermaids ... Limitless abiotic oil is such a wonderful thing ...

Daniel_Plainview
Prognosticator
Prognosticator

Location: 7035 Hollis ... Near the Observatory ... Just down the way, tucked back in the small woods

Unread postby Buggy » Thu 27 Jan 2011, 02:00:39

Good one OF. Glad to see your sense of humor is firmly intact. This quote is great!

The world has been through this before: once from 1870 until 1913, and again from the end of World War II until 1973.

I love it. The world has been through "this" before couldn't be more accurate. The 1870's suffered a greater depression than the, well, Great Depression. That "boom" ended with The War To End All Wars. Had us a little bouncing baby Fed induced mini-boom in the 20's, then the stock market crash, and it took another global war to get us out of that. And how many recessions did we squeeze into the 1946-1973 time frame? That's ok, the Fed always came to the rescue with the printing press and inflation. Well, that is until we invented stagflation after the Arabs decided to point out that Dr. M. King Hubbert was quite accurate as to when the USA's oil supply was going to peak. And that they say, is that. We now sit as the greatest debtor nation in the history of the world. Ben, could you spare me a dime?
"We have flown up our own collective numeric bung-hole."
James Howard Kunstler
Buggy
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby copious.abundance » Thu 27 Jan 2011, 02:48:43

^
Actually that was a good point. When I read this, I thought that if I were to draw boundaries of economic "supercycles" they'd probably look quite a bit different from these. I'm not really a believer in economic "supercycles" like this, though maybe sorta kinda they've got a grain of truth to them. I suppose large-scale waves of meta-economic events can be identified over periods of decades, but there are always going to be simultaneous counter-waves and competing waves of other things which make drawing boundaries of overall waves really really fuzzy.

But it was fun posting the articles anyway! So much fun! :lol:
Stuff for doomers to contemplate:
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1190117.html#p1190117
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1193930.html#p1193930
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1206767.html#p1206767
copious.abundance
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Thu 27 Jan 2011, 03:39:02

OilFinder2 wrote:I suppose large-scale waves of meta-economic events can be identified over periods of decades, but there are always going to be simultaneous counter-waves and competing waves of other things which make drawing boundaries of overall waves really really fuzzy.

And there will be lots of oil, don't forget that.
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dolanbaker » Thu 27 Jan 2011, 08:48:32

That period from the 1870s to 1914 was a boom time in Europe and most countries that were part of European empires, I think the depression was only in the US - which according to the moneymasters video was caused by banksters trying to sieze control of the US currency (which they did in 1913).
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby TheDude » Thu 27 Jan 2011, 10:12:09

Irritating literary device! Mark of an immature mentality! Recommended viewing! : YouTube - Elaine and Mr. Lippman - Exclamation points.

Remember that poster with the Kondratieff Winter in his sig? Nothing presupposes that these cycles continue ad infinitum.

Oil? Remember what Deffeyes wrote, that over the 20th century world production continued to grow apace, despite the Great Depression, two World Wars, and Jimmy Carter.
Cogito, ergo non satis bibivi
And let me tell you something: I dig your work.
TheDude
Expert
Expert

Unread postby MichaelWallace » Thu 27 Jan 2011, 10:34:24

Actually, those two periods were great boom periods. The US suffered some debilitating recessions, but also went from being a small country of 30 million, recovering from a horrible civil war to the dominant world power. In the second period, Japan underwent one of the greatest economic booms of all time, Europe recovered (this time is know as the 30 glorious years in France), and the United States also boomed economically.

I have my doubts about the next 30 years, however. We were hearing similar things during the boom times of the 90s.
State of Siege: The Rich Will Survive Peak Oil
Now Available on Amazon for only $2.99: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004K1EYPW
MichaelWallace
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Timo » Thu 27 Jan 2011, 11:22:30

Whoa! What happened to February and March?!?! Is this April Fool's Day, already????
Timo

Return to Economics & Finance