Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Oil Company Admits Future Is Going To Be OK

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Oil Company Admits Future Is Going To Be OK

Unread postby copious.abundance » Mon 14 Feb 2011, 21:53:39

LINK
“The estimates for how much oil there is in the world continue to increase,” according to William M Colton, Exxon Mobil’s vice president for corporate strategic planning. “There’s enough oil to supply the world’s needs as far as anyone can see.” Just as prices rose sharply and peak oil concerns re-emerged, huge deep water oil fields were found off the coasts of Brazil and Africa. Higher prices also stimulated “unconventional” oil production from massive Canadian oil sands projects, which now provide North America with more oil than Saudi Arabia. In 2009, the United States increased domestic oil production for the first time in decades. The longer “life horizon” and drop in natural gas prices make it a particularly attractive choice to power producers now, given its relatively low carbon emissions and flexibility as a generating fuel.

[...]

Happy motoring! :o
Stuff for doomers to contemplate:
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1190117.html#p1190117
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1193930.html#p1193930
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1206767.html#p1206767
copious.abundance
Fission
Fission

Re: Oil Company Admits Future Is Going To Be OK

Unread postby Cloud9 » Mon 14 Feb 2011, 21:59:12

It's not oil we are running out of. Its cheap oil we are running out of. So, happy motoring for some and scooters for the rest of us.
Cloud9
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby peripato » Mon 14 Feb 2011, 22:12:44

OilFinder2 wrote:LINK
“The estimates for how much oil there is in the world continue to increase,” according to William M Colton, Exxon Mobil’s vice president for corporate strategic planning. “There’s enough oil to supply the world’s needs as far as anyone can see.” Just as prices rose sharply and peak oil concerns re-emerged, huge deep water oil fields were found off the coasts of Brazil and Africa. Higher prices also stimulated “unconventional” oil production from massive Canadian oil sands projects, which now provide North America with more oil than Saudi Arabia. In 2009, the United States increased domestic oil production for the first time in decades. The longer “life horizon” and drop in natural gas prices make it a particularly attractive choice to power producers now, given its relatively low carbon emissions and flexibility as a generating fuel.

[...]

In which case doom is the only moral answer.
peripato
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby vaseline2008 » Tue 15 Feb 2011, 13:43:29

Cloud9 wrote:It's not oil we are running out of. Its cheap oil we are running out of. So, happy motoring for some and scooters for the rest of us.

I apologize in advance for my ignorance...however I just have a hard time understanding how we are not "running out of oil" if we are consuming oil on a daily basis? If I fill up my car with gasoline the moment I turn on the engine I start to "run out of gasoline". Can anyone enlighten me and correct my misconception?
vaseline2008
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby TheDude » Tue 15 Feb 2011, 16:47:05

vaseline2008 wrote:
Cloud9 wrote:It's not oil we are running out of. Its cheap oil we are running out of. So, happy motoring for some and scooters for the rest of us.

I apologize in advance for my ignorance...however I just have a hard time understanding how we are not "running out of oil" if we are consuming oil on a daily basis? If I fill up my car with gasoline the moment I turn on the engine I start to "run out of gasoline". Can anyone enlighten me and correct my misconception?

You're conflating depletion and decline. Depletion is using up a resource - it began with Col Drake's well in 1859, strictly speaking, or even before that. Whereas decline is production decreasing from a certain point.

So XOM are "admitting" things will be hunky dory? Were they being coy about things before?

"I think it's wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly. " - Steven Wright
Cogito, ergo non satis bibivi
And let me tell you something: I dig your work.
TheDude
Expert
Expert

Unread postby americandream » Tue 15 Feb 2011, 16:58:20

OilFinder2 wrote:LINK

[...]

I am and am enjoying the party tremendously!!!. There's plenty of cash around to extract every last unit that is technologically feasible. What a wonderful time to be alive!
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Tue 15 Feb 2011, 21:24:22

There’s enough oil to supply the world’s needs as far as anyone can see
Notice he didn't say demand or desire. You only need enough to oil your bicycle.
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Return to Peak Oil Discussion