Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Prelude

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

Prelude

Unread postby eastbay » Fri 25 Feb 2011, 03:27:35

I just finished it. Excellent survey of the oil industry from an insiders perspective. There are so few peak oil-related novels out there. Prelude is a must read for anyone interested in Our Favorite Subject. :)

It's on Amazon ... I have it on my Kindle app.
Got Dharma?

Everything is Impermanent. Shakyamuni Buddha
eastbay
Expert
Expert

Re: Prelude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sat 26 Feb 2011, 13:48:40

eastbay wrote:It's on Amazon ... I have it on my Kindle app.

Isn't there some irony there, reading a collapse novel on a kindle? ;)

Actually I'm thinking of getting one.. seems like the bookstores just don't have any selection anymore. And why bother schlepping over there anyway if I could just push a button. Libraries aren't an option for me since I'm awful about returning on time.

You using iPhone app or the actual Kindle? If I go electronic, I'd want the kindle since I've read it's the easiest on the eyes. Still not sure though.. I'd miss the feel of pages, the smell of a new book. I can't really imagine getting comfortable with a piece of plastic. :|

As for Prelude looks interesting.. I'll check it out. I need a good writing and a good story though, not enough to just be on the subject of collapse / peak oil.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sat 26 Feb 2011, 15:04:25

eastbay wrote:I just finished it. Excellent survey of the oil industry from an insiders perspective. There are so few peak oil-related novels out there. Prelude is a must read for anyone interested in Our Favorite Subject. :)

It's on Amazon ... I have it on my Kindle app.

Will people who have a decent understanding of the peak oil story learn anything new here, or is it "good" because it spreads the message and/or is an engaging novel? (The Amazon reviews confirm it is a good story).

I just want to know how highly I should place this on my reading priority list, as I keep getting further behind... Thanks.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby eastbay » Sat 26 Feb 2011, 19:47:10

SS, I felt the same way about the feel of paper in my hands. Then I gave a Nook a test drive. WOW! It's a hoot to read on an ereader! From what I read it was a toss-up between a Nook and a Kindle. So I flipped a coin and it landed on Kindle.

It's handy having a stack of books taking up no space whatsoever. First I blasted through nearly all of Jack London's best works. They're available for free on Kindle, as are countless other titles. "Free' books on the Nook are really 99 cents. Then I stepped up to the plate and actually bought a few. Prelude was one of them.

OC, What can we learn after spending a few years here? Lol. Ok, just joking... :-D

It's an engaging page-turner and spreads the message quite well. You'll spend no more than a few hours on it because it's hard to put down.
Got Dharma?

Everything is Impermanent. Shakyamuni Buddha
eastbay
Expert
Expert

Return to Book/Media Reviews