Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Protection from Astroturfing

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Protection from Astroturfing

Unread postby Rod_Cloutier » Sat 26 Feb 2011, 18:15:29

I heard about this on the Max Keiser report, then again the next day on the Automatic Earth.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/g ... CMP=twt_gu

The need to protect the internet from 'astroturfing' grows ever more urgent, the tobacco industry does it, the US Air Force clearly wants to ... astroturfing – the use of sophisticated software to drown out real people on web forums – is on the rise. How do we stop it?

Every month more evidence piles up, suggesting that online comment threads and forums are being hijacked by people who aren't what they seem.

The anonymity of the web gives companies and governments golden opportunities to run astroturf operations: fake grassroots campaigns that create the impression that large numbers of people are demanding or opposing particular policies. This deception is most likely to occur where the interests of companies or governments come into conflict with the interests of the public

The internet is a wonderful gift, but it's also a bonanza for corporate lobbyists, viral marketers and government spin doctors, who can operate in cyberspace without regulation, accountability or fear of detection. So let me repeat the question I've put in previous articles, and which has yet to be satisfactorily answered: what should we do to fight these tactics?

I think this is to some extent the reason there are so many new trolls here on peakoil.com who are vigorously denying peak oil and AGW! I was converted by reading montequest's posts, and having virtually every post I made rebutted for the first few years I was a member here.

How can we defeat this insidious 'Astroturfing' to protect our favorite website? We should create a authentication system, using paper snail mail, to verify that Avatar's represent real people only, and thus limit Avatar's to one per poster. Conversely, does the number of hits on this website increase in proportion to the increasing price of oil?

Anyways, something needs to be done to keep it real here people! Any fake people here please get lost!
Rod_Cloutier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: Protection from Astroturfing

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 26 Feb 2011, 19:03:42

The Mods could delete their access, until they prove they are real. That's a lot to ask of the mods. But other boards are mush quicker to boot the bots.

Or, we could just ignore them. I never get why so many here want to argue with them.
When going through hell, keep going! Churchill
Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much. E Wiman
I know there’s no solution, so I just enjoy what’s here and I enjoy the journey G Carlin
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Tyler_JC » Sun 27 Feb 2011, 22:02:18

There aren't any astroturfers on this website. We're not important enough to attract corporate or government attention.

And we're certainly no threat to the existing order.
"www.peakoil.com is the Myspace of the Apocalypse."
Tyler_JC
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Rod_Cloutier » Sun 27 Feb 2011, 22:50:04

Ok, I don't think that we're not important here! There are about a half a dozen news sites on the internet that post real, uncensored news, and this is one of them. Sometimes the MSM reports something new, but peakoil.com and a few others have the real deal, raw, uncensored, and socially relevant for our times.

A few others that would be added to my list as important enough for the powers that be to try to disrupt are:

A) Zerohedge
B) Al Jazerra
C) The Max Keiser report on RT (Russian television)
D) Youtube
E) Reuters
F) The Clusterfuck Chronicles
G) The Archdruid report
H) The Automatic Earth

(In no particular order)

These sites build on each other, and you can't tell me that there aren't people here that don't recognize the importance of these sites. Add to that all professionals and scientists who contribute here and you have peakoil.com as the best news site and forum in existance on the internet!

Something this important needs to be protected!
Rod_Cloutier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby mos6507 » Sun 27 Feb 2011, 23:21:40

This site really isn't that important. I'm not sure exactly why this site's traffic does not correspond 1:1 with the level of awareness of peak oil, but it isn't. LATOC used to get more traffic. TOD clearly gets more traffic.
mos6507

Unread postby eastbay » Mon 28 Feb 2011, 01:09:23

Repent wrote:
I think this is to some extent the reason there are so many new trolls here on peakoil.com who are vigorously denying peak oil and AGW! I was converted by reading montequest's posts, and having virtually every post I made rebutted for the first few years I was a member here.

How can we defeat this insidious 'Astroturfing' to protect our favorite website? We should create a authentication system, using paper snail mail, to verify that Avatar's represent real people only, and thus limit Avatar's to one per poster. Conversely, does the number of hits on this website increase in proportion to the increasing price of oil?

Anyways, something needs to be done to keep it real here people! Any fake people here please get lost!

I totally agree. They chop away from site to site endlessly puking their trash stopping briefly to pester us here. I have no doubt they're paid well to do this. Too bad we don't have someone paid to clear out this trash, but it's a very time consuming chore and most mods drop by occasionally and do their best. I totally agree about one thing: interacting with them is the worst thing we can do.
Got Dharma?

Everything is Impermanent. Shakyamuni Buddha
eastbay
Expert
Expert

Unread postby americandream » Mon 28 Feb 2011, 02:28:29

eastbay wrote:
Repent wrote:

I totally agree. They chop away from site to site endlessly puking their trash stopping briefly to pester us here. I have no doubt they're paid well to do this. Too bad we don't have someone paid to clear out this trash, but it's a very time consuming chore and most mods drop by occasionally and do their best. I totally agree about one thing: interacting with them is the worst thing we can do.

It takes a certain kind of bottom feeder to troll peak oil. One invariably thick skinned and utterly unscrupulous. Persistent as well.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Arthur75 » Mon 28 Feb 2011, 04:31:12

Repent wrote:
A) Zerohedge
B) Al Jazerra
C) The Max Keiser report on RT (Russian television)
D) Youtube
E) Reuters
F) The Clusterfuck Chronicles
G) The Archdruid report
H) The Automatic Earth

Al Jazerra ?
Not sure why you cite them, AlJazeera really overall has the classic "optimist" message about the bright "just, free, moral" world coming up, with challenges ok, but still.
Arthur75
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Return to Open Topic Discussion