Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

There's nothing more to talk about

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

There's nothing more to talk about

Unread postby Ludi » Wed 02 Mar 2011, 21:15:19

Why are we talking about anything but our imminent death from Global Warming?

:?:

Why are so few people talking about this?

:?:
Ludi

Re: There's nothing more to talk about

Unread postby papa moose » Wed 02 Mar 2011, 21:33:10

I'll hazard a guess and say "Denial".

If Cid is right and we are all going to be killed by poison gas next week then there's not much point worrying about anything. In this situation the majority of people will be best served by BAU, be that permaculture gardening, prepping of the doomstead, processing tar sands, selling Volts or shooting insurgents. Well perhaps not that last one.
If there was a general awareness that everyone on the planet was about to die, well i think anarchy would be a pretty good word to describe the resulting outcome of that announcement, assuming you could get any one to believe it.

On the other hand if Cid is wrong there is no point worrying about his "cock-eyed" theories, we need to all concentrate on how we are going to feed ourselves for the next 80 years in Mad Max/Amish future world of PO.

Of course if Shorty is right (or the singularity guy) and TEOTWAWKI is not about to be triggered by PO, well then we are all just wasting our time here, regardless of what we are discussing.

With that i mind, i watched an episode of Seinfeld the other day, you know the one where George buys this...
"That really annoying person you know, the one who's always spouting bullshit, the person who always thinks they're right?
Well, the odds are that for somebody else, you're that person.
So take the amount you think you know, reduce it by 99.999%, and then you'll have an idea of how much you actually know..."
papa moose
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby papa moose » Wed 02 Mar 2011, 21:34:27

I want to ask you a different question Ludi.
"That really annoying person you know, the one who's always spouting bullshit, the person who always thinks they're right?
So take the amount you think you know, reduce it by 99.999%, and then you'll have an idea of how much you actually know..."
papa moose
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Revi » Wed 02 Mar 2011, 21:35:50

Most people don't even believe in global warming around here. I read a book about global warming a couple of years ago that was written by scientists. They were freaked out by it, and scientists are almost never freaked out. Global warming is like peak oil. It is a really big problem that a lot of people are working hard to ignore.
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Ludi » Wed 02 Mar 2011, 21:38:51

Revi wrote: It is a really big problem that a lot of people are working hard to ignore.

If Cid is right then it's just as well we're ignoring it since there's nothing we can do. :(
Ludi

Unread postby Nefarious » Wed 02 Mar 2011, 21:40:20

We're all going to die?.... seriously? .... When?
'By the pricking of my thumbs,Something Wicked This Way Comes."
Nefarious
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Ludi » Wed 02 Mar 2011, 21:41:43

Nefarious wrote:We're all going to die?.... seriously? .... When?

Within a decade, according to Cid Yama. :(
Ludi

Unread postby Nefarious » Wed 02 Mar 2011, 21:46:07

Know anyone else who has also made this bold prediction ?

Excluding anyone who post at godlikeproductions.
'By the pricking of my thumbs,Something Wicked This Way Comes."
Nefarious
Coal
Coal

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Wed 02 Mar 2011, 21:47:52

I have to wonder if that isn't why the GOP is pulling out all the stops in terms of changing election laws etc to consolidate power before the backlash begins, as well as why the Dems are at least partly willing to let them.

But we will either see things start going downhill relatively soon (5 years before global despair sets in).

OR some technological silver bullet saves our bacon.

But either way, worrying won't make a bit of difference. Neither will conservation, picketing, writing letters to congress or anything else. That bus left the station 20 years ago.
Last edited by PrestonSturges on Wed 02 Mar 2011, 22:03:48, edited 1 time in total.
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby papa moose » Wed 02 Mar 2011, 21:49:13

If Cid is right and this extreme methane venting is going to kill us all in short order
Cid_Yama wrote:No, it's happening right now. We've already been shot in the head, we just haven't hit the floor yet.

If you personnally subscribe to this statement, why are you advocating permaculture, living lean/green, PO prep, etc?
Why aren't you living up large on an Amex or Visa? Travel the world, tour the states, hang out at your sister's house, whatever floats your boat. Hell, even if your perfect way to see out the end of humanity is to stay in Tx, gardening and making costumes there's no reason why i think you shouldn't do that but why log on to PO and start a thread like this?
I you do accept that Cid's death gas is coming and we can't stop it, why worry about it?
Worry => anxiety => stress => unhappiness.

For that matter if Cid is so convinced that the end is nigh why does he have a trust/foundation in place to distribute his wealth after he and his wife dies?
papa moose
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby papa moose » Wed 02 Mar 2011, 21:50:47

Hah, i need to type faster, can't keep up!
PrestonSturges wrote:I have to wonder if that isn't why the GOP is pulling out all the stops in terms of changing election laws etc to consolidate power before the backlash begins, as well as why the Dems are at least partly willing to let them.

But we will either see things start going downhill relatively soon (5 years before global despair sets in).

OR some technological silver bullet saves our bacon.

We will all be dead i five years PS, that's the point of Cid's environmental thread that Ludi is referring to!
papa moose
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby papa moose » Wed 02 Mar 2011, 21:55:39

I'm not personally interested in arguing the point about Cid's predicition.
If he is right we are all dead with nothing to possibly save us, so i try not to worry about it.
If he is wrong the i need to worry about surviving a post-PO world, i can't (for whatever reason) do much to prep so coming here to stay informed is my main activity.
If Shorty is right and the Volt is going to save the world, well i stressed about PO for a while, posted a whole lot of silly messages on a web forum and got a few extra grey hairs but nothing much else changed so never mind.

"worry about what you can affect, don't worry about something you cannot change"
papa moose
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby americandream » Wed 02 Mar 2011, 22:05:06

I don't know whether any of you folks have seen the video linked below but the presenter makes a pretty convincing case for increasing methane outgassing. Lets just say that I found his presentation pretty convincing although the fact that we may have to resort to geo-engineering in a bid to deal with the issue was shocking. Personally, I simply can't see how we are ever going to reconcile obsolence driven capitalism with any long term prospects as a species, singularity devices notwithstanding. Carlhole's remedies contemplate BAU, not the mitigation of BAU's toxic effects. Our problem is that we have taken modernity and turned it into a round the clock source of all manner of chemical and physical wastes which must, at some point, overwhelm us, especially when scaled up to 6 billion.

Sad really. A species choked by its own greed and filth.

http://fora.tv/2009/08/18/A_REALLY_Inco ... Dan_Miller
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Sixstrings » Wed 02 Mar 2011, 22:19:53

papa moose wrote:If Cid is right and we are all going to be killed by poison gas next week then there's not much point worrying about anything.

I assume that's hyperbole? 8O
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Sixstrings » Wed 02 Mar 2011, 22:26:27

Nefarious wrote:Know anyone else who has also made this bold prediction ?

Another web chatter thing is something about planet X / an asteroid / pole shift or something happening in March or April. Someone I know off internet was going on about it, and then my mother of all people called me and said it was on the local news.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby papa moose » Wed 02 Mar 2011, 22:32:52

Sixstrings wrote:I assume that's hyperbole? 8O

I don't know, 6.

How long is the time between being shot in the head and hitting the floor?
That's the way Cid has described it. What that means in days/weeks/months? Stuffed if i know.
Hell if it takes more than 4 billion years then the sun will beat it, going nova and everything in inner solar system will cease to exist. I won't tell your mom tho, no need to worry her needlessly :twisted:
papa moose
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Sixstrings » Wed 02 Mar 2011, 22:38:12

papa moose wrote:How long is the time between being shot in the head and hitting the floor?
That's the way Cid has described it. What that means in days/weeks/months? Stuffed if i know.
Hell if it takes more than 4 billion years then the sun will beat it, going nova and everything in inner solar system will cease to exist. I won't tell your mom tho, no need to worry her needlessly :twisted:

So can someone link Cid's prediction thread?

Sounds like an awful scenario, the whole planet going out via suffocation.. elites hoarding oxygen and preps. Insane chaos once people become aware what's happening.

(and Mom doesn't worry about doom, casually asked me "do you know anything about this world ending in March stuff it was on the news." :roll: And of course she didn't remember any details of the local TV news segment, I can only assume it was reporting on the internet rumors)
Last edited by Sixstrings on Wed 02 Mar 2011, 22:44:05, edited 1 time in total.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby americandream » Wed 02 Mar 2011, 22:42:37

Nefarious wrote:Know anyone else who has also made this bold prediction ?

Check the video I linked in my post above. The reckoning there puts it at anywhere from 10 years to middle of the century and the end of the century for definite. The thinking is that we may in fact be looking at 5 celsius gains and basically toast for the planet's lifesystems.

As China and India draw closer to the West in terms of wastefulness, these timelines may well change dramatically
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby DoomersUnite » Wed 02 Mar 2011, 22:44:55

Ludi wrote:Why are we talking about anything but our imminent death from Global Warming? :?: Why are so few people talking about this? :?:

Whatever would give you the idea that they should?

This is the same thing as peak oil...first... "OH NOES THE END IS NIGH!"....and then it happens...and its not a big deal...and people stop talking about it...and move on to something else. In this case, warming. Without mentioning all the USUAL warming which gave us the great states of New England! (not to mention nearly all of Canada...and by extension...Pamela Lee!)

And so your question basically boils down to..."Why aren't people getting all hysterical over my favorite dieoff scenario!".

Because...they have their own? There are still peak oilers around, postulating all types of new doom and gloom, they don't have the TIME to collect yet another one, stressing out over more than 1 or 2 could be downright unhealthy!
DoomersUnite
Peat
Peat

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Thu 03 Mar 2011, 00:00:55

papa moose wrote:How long is the time between being shot in the head and hitting the floor?

The time between slipping on a banana peel and hitting the floor is a "bananasecond."
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Next

Return to Open Topic Discussion