Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Hearing loss, other health problems blamed on wind turbines

Discussions related to the physiological and psychological effects of peak oil on our members and future generations.

Hearing loss, other health problems blamed on wind turbines

Unread postby Sixstrings » Tue 08 Mar 2011, 05:29:31

Wind 1 stands 262 feet tall in Falmouth. As many as 50 residents of the town have complained of the health effects the turbine's noise and shadows have had on their lives.

In his kitchen table at his Falmouth home, Neil Anderson holds the calendar where he and his wife record their daily reactions to the wind turbine located nearby.

Neil Anderson and his wife keep a log of how the turbine affects them. It shows nights of disrupted sleeping, headaches, and even mood-swings.

Wind One, as the turbine is officially called, is owned by the town of Falmouth and is located at the town’s wastewater treatment plant, where it stands 262 feet tall to the turbine’s hub. That’s about 10 feet taller than the Pilgrim Monument in Provincetown. The blades extend just shy of 400 feet, which is about half the height of the John Hancock Building in Boston.

(snip)

But now, as many as 50 people are complaining about the turbine and the noise it makes at different speeds. A dozen families are retaining a lawyer for that reason.

“It is dangerous. Headaches. Loss of sleep. And the ringing in my ears never goes away. I could look at it all day, and it does not bother me. It’s quite majestic — but it’s way too close,” Anderson said.

(snip)

Wind One is expected to save the town about $375,000 a year in electricity. Heather Harper, Falmouth’s acting town manager, says Falmouth owes about $5 million on the 1.65-megawatt turbine.

Harper said one of the challenges of running the turbine is that the type of sound some neighbors complain about — that low-level pulse — isn’t regulated by the state.

(snip)

“The existing peer-reviewed studies suggest that there are no health effects associated with the sound and noise from wind turbines,” McGlinchey said. “That being said, people clearly experience symptoms. People have headaches, people have their sleep disturbed, people are not living well next to them in some situations. In some situations they are. So, both sides are right.”
http://climatide.wgbh.org/2011/03/the-falmouth-experience-life-under-the-blades/

Hm, some interesting info. So the town owes $5 million on the windmill and it will save them $375,000 per year on electricity. So that's at least 13 years for the thing to pay for itself (assuming $5 mil was total cost and they didn't get a federal / state grant).. BUT.. how long do these last? Fifteen years, twenty, what? And I assume there are maintenance costs, I wonder if that 375k savings is taking that into account. And now a "dozen families" are going to sue the town, so you can tack on lawyers fees and a possible settlement to the windmill costs. :roll:

As for the health effects.. don't know if there's anything to that, "low-pulse" noise pollution.

On the bright side, power has to come from somewhere and at least these aren't burning oil or coal (though it takes many barrels of oil to make one of these and more to maintain it).
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Re: Hearing loss, other health problems blamed on wind turbi

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Thu 21 Apr 2011, 19:07:00

In Hepburn Springs we have Australia's first community owned wind farm.
Doubt they will be too much complaining there as they all own a piece of it and share in the profits and cost savings
http://www.indymedia.org.au/2011/03/06/ ... completion
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Lore » Thu 21 Apr 2011, 19:58:51

May I recommend to these poor individuals....

SimplyNoise is the best free color noise generator on the Internet, with over 10,000 new users discovering our site each day! All of our content is crafted by a professional Sound Designer to ensure the highest audio fidelity. Share SimplyNoise with co-workers, friends, and family with the social buttons next to the navigation bar. Make some noise, share your thoughts, we'd love to hear from you!

Uses of SimplyNoise:

+ Sleep Aid
+ Enhance Privacy
+ Block Distractions
+ Mask Tinnitus
+ Pacify children and pets
+ Soothe Migraines
+ Increase Focus
+ Melt Away Stress

http://www.simplynoise.com/

The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Thu 21 Apr 2011, 20:14:04

[Image

Reminds me of Russell Crowe's notes in "A Beautiful Mind."

I grew up less than one block from a freight line where trains went by every half hour, rattling the windows. I never heard of anyone claiming of health problems, and I really enjoyed those trains.
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Thu 21 Apr 2011, 22:02:10

PrestonSturges wrote:[Image

Reminds me of Russell Crowe's notes in "A Beautiful Mind."

I grew up less than one block from a freight line where trains went by every half hour, rattling the windows. I never heard of anyone claiming of health problems, and I really enjoyed those trains.

I've seen various articles on this. Let's assume it's true. Aren't there LOTS of places to put wind farms where there aren't many people nearby? Like offshore -- oh that's right -- rich dems don't want wind farms where they might disturb their view (poor things).
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Thu 21 Apr 2011, 22:18:06

The Nantucket offshore windfarm has been approved.
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby sicophiliac » Fri 22 Apr 2011, 00:49:01

These wind turbines are sounding quite nasty and dangerous, better stick to something safe and clean like coal or nuclear !
sicophiliac
Coal
Coal

Unread postby anador » Fri 22 Apr 2011, 01:14:26

NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY "I CANT HEAR YOU" NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY
@#$% highways
anador
Coal
Coal

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Fri 22 Apr 2011, 02:09:53

A friend has a place near some wind turbines, and the people right under the turbines lived in some crappy hillbilly shacks. They complained, and the power company bought them new triple glazed windows, which hopefully they did not sell to buy crack.
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby laurahill » Wed 11 Jan 2012, 00:53:02

Yes.This turbines sounds very dangerous..I had very bad experiences about it..Now i changed my place.
laurahill
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Wed 11 Jan 2012, 01:36:35

Beware Astro turf

THE anti-wind farm movement that is gaining influence in the NSW Parliament is being ''aided and abetted'' by climate sceptic groups and some mining figures.

Industry sources said a US Tea Party-style ''astroturf'' campaign, which mimics grassroots local opposition but is at least partly directed from elsewhere, was being waged against wind energy in NSW, which was expected to bring up to $10 billion in investment this decade as it accelerated to meet the national 20 per cent renewable energy target.

Wind farm opponents include a coalition of local groups under the banner ''landscape guardians'', and the Australian Environment Foundation, which sprang up seven years ago from a conference run by the right-wing think-tank the Institute of Public Affairs, but is now a separate group.

''Our role is, if you like, aiding and abetting what local communities are doing and helping them voice their disapproval over wind farms,'' said the foundation's executive director, Max Rheese.

http://m.smh.com.au/environment/energy- ... 1p2l6.html
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Wed 11 Jan 2012, 08:34:21

In Bass Strait, south of Melbourne, there was a hullaballoo about an extremely remote windfarm on an island inhabited mostly by seaweed fed cows and a few native bird species (King island).

Huxley Hill Wind Farm (also known as the King Island Wind Farm) is a wind power station at King Island, Tasmania, Australia, of around 1600 residents, owned by Hydro Tasmania, which supplements the four diesel generators with a combined capacity of 6 MW at Currie Power Station. King Island also has a 100 kW solar capacity provided with monocrystaline solar panels on dual-axis arrays.

The wind farm started generating in 1998, initially with three 250 kW Nordex N26 wind turbines at a cost of $2.5 M ($3,300/kW) [1], then in 2003 with two 850 kW Vestas Turbines, to provide a total wind generating capacity of 2.5 MW of electricity. Wind generation provides around 35% of the annual generation. [2]

As a declared Community Service Obligation, the Tasmanian Government provides around $7 million per annum in funding support for the electricity supply equivalent to around $2,500 per resident per annum. [3]
(Wiki)

Even here there was a drawn out battle over endangered birds which may fly into the turbines, although I don't think more than 1 dead bird was ever found. Amazingly the protest was led by Bob Brown, head of the Green Party in Australia. 1 dead bird versus no alternative to fossil fuel burning.... mmmm?
It so happens King island is perfectly situated for wave and or tidal power also, which would not have this risk involved, but the wind guys put up the only bid and got the tender.

What do 1600 dairy farmers do with 6 megawatts of electricity? After all that even this tiny island can't do without tons of diesel every month.

On mainland Victoria most of the anti WT protests have been about view spoiling. The hypocrisy is amazing. The last labour government here was about to over-ride local governments and force them to accept WT. They got booted out and replaced with a conservative bunch who are more concerned with short term local electoral issues than whether or not thee will be a future for their kids.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Wed 11 Jan 2012, 08:49:40

Shockingly, I just did the maths roughly and it turns out this power use is average for Australia. I am amazed we need a megawatt for every 100 people. I find that embarrasing.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby kublikhan » Wed 11 Jan 2012, 19:07:21

These guys should try living in the flight path of the O'Hare International Airport and then tell me how much the noise of a windmill bothers them.
The oil barrel is half-full.
kublikhan
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Return to Medical Issues Forum