Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Wholefoods. Major betrayal

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Wholefoods. Major betrayal

Unread postby americandream » Thu 10 Mar 2011, 21:07:09

Capitalism 101:

Organic consumers and producers in the U.S. are facing betrayal. A self-appointed group of "Organic Elites", including Whole Foods Market, Organic Valley, and Stonyfield Farm, are surrendering to Monsanto.

Top executives from these companies publicly stated several weeks ago that they support the so-called "coexistence" of organics with genetically modified (GM) crops.

Mercola
americandream
Permanently Banned

Re: Wholefoods. Major betrayal

Unread postby Ludi » Thu 10 Mar 2011, 22:35:10

Sick.

:(
Ludi

Unread postby americandream » Thu 10 Mar 2011, 22:42:13

Ludi wrote:Sick.

They get a taste of the high life and out go the ideals.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby misterno » Thu 10 Mar 2011, 23:18:24

I wonder how the rich people will react on this
Because whenever I go to wholefoods I see extremely rich people

I don't think this news will get some reaction from these customers. Who knows maybe lawsuits
misterno
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby misterno » Thu 10 Mar 2011, 23:18:54

I wonder how the rich people will react on this

I think this news will get some reaction from these customers. Who knows maybe lawsuits
misterno
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby americandream » Thu 10 Mar 2011, 23:50:32

misterno wrote:I wonder how the rich people will react on this

I think this news will get some reaction from these customers. Who knows maybe lawsuits

The wholefoods scene is something of a fashion statement with a market with more money than sense.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby scas » Fri 11 Mar 2011, 00:07:03

I'm glad for this.

I recommend reading Whole Earth Discipline by Stewart Brand. While there are inherent dangers with GE crops, if they are capable of raising the carrying capacity of our planet during these next five decades, then they are worth the risk. Food production must match the population bulge as it reaches 9 billion and begins its natural descent due to falling fertility.

If all your 'organic' crops die to fungi, salination and drought, will you turn up your nose at GE crops that survive? Climate change will be an exciting time for evolution and mutation in the bacterial and fungal world. New opportunities.

Why is it that the Hawaiian Papaya industry still exists? What other infected crops will be saved by GE as CC ravages us?

Genetic engineering of food is still in its infancy. It was only last year that Craig Venter created a synthetic reproducing cell. (synthetic DNA)

This is so exciting. Will humans survive? Will Earth turn to Venus? What a time.
scas
Coal
Coal

Unread postby mos6507 » Fri 11 Mar 2011, 01:47:40

I'd rather we genetically engineer ourselves so we can live on photosynthesis, like Swamp Thing.

That's my version of the singularity for you. Fat chance.
mos6507

Unread postby Loki » Fri 11 Mar 2011, 20:52:10

scas wrote:If all your 'organic' crops die to fungi, salination and drought, will you turn up your nose at GE crops that survive? Climate change will be an exciting time for evolution and mutation in the bacterial and fungal world. New opportunities..

Organic farming is actually quite a bit more resilient to drought than conventional farming, GMOs or not. The key is proper soil management, not using some mutant trademarked cultivar. There's one reason and one reason only that so many resources are being poured into GMOs---corporate profit.

But I know, you don't want to hear anything positive about organics. You think technofixes will solve all our problems, right?
A garden will make your rations go further.
Loki
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Ludi » Fri 11 Mar 2011, 20:56:07

Loki wrote:Organic farming is actually quite a bit more resilient to drought than conventional farming, GMOs or not. The key is proper soil management, not using some mutant trademarked cultivar.

Yep, organic soils contain large amounts of humus, which holds moisture and nutrients in the soil. Conventional farming destroys humus and conventionally farmed soils don't hold either moisture or nutrients.

But that's all boring soil science, not shiny GMO science. :)
Ludi

Unread postby Homesteader » Fri 11 Mar 2011, 20:58:41

scas wrote:I'm glad for this.

If all your 'organic' crops die to fungi, salination and drought, will you turn up your nose at GE crops that survive? Climate change will be an exciting time for evolution and mutation in the bacterial and fungal world. New opportunities.

Honestly, do you really think that GMO/Big Ag is going to deliver us from the path that "Green Revolution"/Big Ag is taking us down now? Destroyed ecosytems, unbridled soil erosion, ocean dead zones, more hungry people than ever before? Really?

Do you really believe that doing a crappy job of feeding 9 billion people is going to be better for the planet's biosphere than doing a crappy job of feeding 7 billion people?
"The era of procrastination, of half-measures, of soothing and baffling expedients, of delays, is coming to a close. In its place we are entering a period of consequences…"
Sir Winston Churchill

Beliefs are what people fall back on when the facts make them uncomfortable.
Homesteader
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Loki » Fri 11 Mar 2011, 21:06:16

Homesteader wrote:
Do you really believe that doing a crappy job of feeding 9 billion people is going to be better for the planet's biosphere than doing a crappy job of feeding 7 billion people?

The planet's biosphere is utterly irrelevant to those obsessed with GMOs. I think feeding poor people is also just as irrelevant to them, but it's a convenient excuse to unleash GMOs on the world. Does anyone actually believe Monsanto gives two shits about starving Africans? Ha!

There are more starving people in the world now than there ever have been despite the Green Revolution. The problem is not production, it's distribution. But the big corporate ag zealots don't want to hear this, or more accurately, they really don't care about the unwashed masses. Again, it's all about their bottom line.
A garden will make your rations go further.
Loki
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Ludi » Fri 11 Mar 2011, 21:10:49

Homesteader wrote:
Honestly, do you really think that GMO/Big Ag is going to deliver us from the path that "Green Revolution"/Big Ag is taking us down now? Destroyed ecosytems, unbridled soil erosion, ocean dead zones, more hungry people than ever before? Really?

Sure, why not? At some point Monsanto will decide it is best to develop crops which maintain humus in the soil, allow native pollinators to flourish, and have no extraordinary fertilizer or water requirements. Monsanto will also roll its profits into funding worldwide family planning services and education and empowerment for women.

Any day now.

http://www.foodrenegade.com/vandana-shi ... s-of-gmos/
Ludi

Unread postby Oneaboveall » Fri 11 Mar 2011, 21:35:19

mos6507 wrote:I'd rather we genetically engineer ourselves so we can live on photosynthesis, like Swamp Thing.

I guess better Swamp Thing than Man-Thing...
When the banksters want something, our policymakers move with the speed of Mercury and the determination of Ares. It’s only when the rest of us need something that there is paralysis.

How free are we today with the dominance of globalist capital and militarized security apparatus?
Oneaboveall
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Fri 11 Mar 2011, 22:28:11

mos6507 wrote:I'd rather we genetically engineer ourselves so we can live on photosynthesis, like Swamp Thing.

Getting rid of fur was the first step....
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby rangerone314 » Fri 11 Mar 2011, 23:04:52

+1
An ideology is by definition not a search for TRUTH-but a search for PROOF that its point of view is right

Equals barter and negotiate-people with power just take

You cant defend freedom by eliminating it-unknown

Our elected reps should wear sponsor patches on their suits so we know who they represent-like Nascar-Roy
rangerone314
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby rangerone314 » Fri 11 Mar 2011, 23:13:40

americandream wrote:
Ludi wrote:Sick.

They get a taste of the high life and out go the ideals.

Why is THIS a surprise?
1 Timothy 6:10
For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted
after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.
An ideology is by definition not a search for TRUTH-but a search for PROOF that its point of view is right

Equals barter and negotiate-people with power just take

You cant defend freedom by eliminating it-unknown

Our elected reps should wear sponsor patches on their suits so we know who they represent-like Nascar-Roy
rangerone314
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby scas » Sat 12 Mar 2011, 00:57:13

Loki, what is your opinion of Golden Rice?
And what of the Hawaiian papaya industry that have been saved by GE?

Are you sure that 7000 years of selective breeding has created the perfect crop?
And what of past societies that experienced famine, but only farmed organically?

What about places like Canada with a vast area and small population? How should they farm? If they wish to be world exporters then they will need use machinery. And if they stop exporting then people die.

It was only last year that Craig Venter inserted the first synthetic DNA into a cell that could live and reproduce. I'm guessing a lot here don't see the significance or wonder in that.

The manner in which you speak is quite zealous "big corporate ag zealots" "they don't care" etc. It is rare to see precise numbers given or a balanced viewpoint. My way or the highway.

I'm guessing it's the people without PhDs that are bashing the scientists though. Funny that you should accuse me of not caring for the poor. I was actually interested in pursuing a degree for the purpose of increasing crop yields, precisely to alleviate world hunger. Maybe if people weren't anti science then this wouldn't happen. http://www.worldpress.org/Africa/737.cfm
scas
Coal
Coal

Unread postby SpringCreekFarm » Sat 12 Mar 2011, 01:08:40

Not so much anti-science as anti-corporate.

Plant breeding is not the same as genetically modifying.

Biodiversity hedges our bets against having catastrophic crop failures.

Personally I take offence to corporations ramming things down our throats and shoving things up our ass. :shock:
SpringCreekFarm
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby scas » Sat 12 Mar 2011, 01:35:26

On this forum, if someone has a different opinion, we attack them in hopes that they'll leave and the forum will become homogeneous.

Better yet is to associate that person with some big evil company or of general misdeeds. That way you know his opinions are wrong.
scas
Coal
Coal

Next

Return to Open Topic Discussion