Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Check the Can

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Check the Can

Unread postby timmac » Fri 11 Mar 2011, 01:29:11

Got this message from a friend, lets pass this message on and try our best to keep America a float..

Did you all see that Diane Sawyer has a special report coming up this week on this very subject. They removed ALL items from a typical, middleclass family’s home, that were not made in the USA. There was hardly anything left besides the kitchen sink. Literally. During the special they are going to show truckloads of items – USA made – being brought in to replace everything. And will be talking about how to find these items and the difference in price etc.

It was interesting that Diane said that if every American spent just $64 (more than normal) on USA made items this year, it would create something like 200,000 new jobs.

Made ME think!

Check the Can

I WAS BUYING FOOD THE OTHER DAY AT WALMART.

ON THE LABEL OF SOME PRODUCTS IT SAID 'FROM CHINA'.

FOR EXAMPLE THE "OUR FAMILY" BRAND OF THE MANDARIN ORANGES SAYS RIGHT ON THE CAN 'FROM CHINA'.

I WAS SHOCKED!! SO FOR A FEW MORE CENTS I BOUGHT THE LIBERTY GOLD BRAND OR THE DOLE SINCE IT'S FROM CALIF.

TAKES FOREVER JUST TO BUY FOOD AND DO LABEL READING ! !

Are we Americans as dumb as we appear --- or --- is it that we just do not think? While the Chinese, knowingly and intentionally, export inferior and even toxic products and dangerous toys and goods to be sold in American markets.

Yet 70% of Americans believe that the trading privileges afforded to the Chinese should be suspended.

Well, duh..why do you need the government to suspend trading privileges?

SIMPLY DO IT YOURSELF, AMERICA!!

Simply look on the bottom of every product you buy, and if it says 'Made in China' or 'PRC' (and that now includes Hong Kong), simply choose another product, or none at all. You will be amazed at how dependent you are on Chinese products, and you will be equally amazed at what you can do without.

Who needs plastic eggs to celebrate Easter? If you must have eggs, use real ones and benefit some American farmer. Easter is just an example, the point is do not wait for the government to act. Just go ahead and assume control on your own.

THINK ABOUT THIS: If 200 million Americans refuse to buy just $20 each of Chinese goods, that's a billion dollar trade imbalance resolved in our favor...fast!!

The downside? Some American businesses will feel a temporary pinch from having foreign stockpiles of inventory. Wahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

The solution? Let's give them fair warning and send our own message. Most of the people who have been reading about this matter are planning on implementing this on March. 4th and continue it until April. 4th That is only one month of trading losses, but it will hit the Chinese for 1/12th of the total, or 8%, of their American exports. Then they will at least have to ask themselves if the benefits of their arrogance and lawlessness were worth it.

Remember, March. 4th to April. 4th

START NOW.

Send this to everybody you know. Let's show them that we are Americans and NOBODY can take us for granted.

If we can't live without cheap Chinese goods for one month out of our lives, WE DESERVE WHAT WE GET!

Pass it on, America.
timmac
Permanently Banned

Re: Check the Can

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Fri 11 Mar 2011, 02:08:52

Made ME think!

Check the Can

I WAS BUYING FOOD THE OTHER DAY AT WALMART.

ON THE LABEL OF SOME PRODUCTS IT SAID 'FROM CHINA'.

FOR EXAMPLE THE "OUR FAMILY" BRAND OF THE MANDARIN ORANGES SAYS RIGHT ON THE CAN 'FROM CHINA'.

I WAS SHOCKED!!
MANDARIN oranges aren't from USA??? :roll: And they sell them in WALMART ?? :shock:
Simply look on the bottom of every product you buy, and if it says 'Made in China' or 'PRC' (and that now includes Hong Kong)
When USA was boycotting China during the Cold War did you ever wonder how tiny Hong Kong produced so much stuff? (HINT: It was really made in CHINA! )

Be sure to only shop at gas stations that sell 100% USA gas.
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby MarkJ » Thu 31 Mar 2011, 11:13:14

I'm looking at a free sample of Dole Fruit Crisp.

The package says Apples From China, Packed In Thailand. NOT FOR RESALE.
MarkJ
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby jdmartin » Thu 31 Mar 2011, 15:22:00

I already boycott everything made in China. I'm certain I've failed in a few instances, as it's almost impossible to be completely Chinese-free. Aside from that, there are certain items that the Chinese have a comparative advantage in constructing - silk, china, tea are three that come to mind. I'd rather drink tea from the Chinese highlands than from Mississippi :razz:

But yeah, I already refuse to buy their stuff. I shop USA first, Canada/Mexico second, Western Europe/Japan/Australia/Americas third, Used fourth, India fifth, China last. If I have to buy something made in China, I buy it used - it's already taken the hit. Once it's here, it's for all intents and purposes an American product if it keeps changing hands and currency locally.
After fueling up their cars, Twyman says they bowed their heads and asked God for cheaper gas.There was no immediate answer, but he says other motorists joined in and the service station owner didn't run them off.
jdmartin
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 31 Mar 2011, 15:32:54

So I'm sitting on the John at the Marina the other day, desparte for reading material I turn to the unopened roll of Eco Green toilet paper. Yup, Made in China.

1 Cut tree in Canada, shred and ship to China.
2 Turn into newsprint and ship to USA.
3 Print newspaper, read, recycle, pat self on back for being Green. Ship to China.
4 Turn into Eco Green toilet paper and ship to USA.
5 Use Eco Green tp and pat self on back for being Green. Send to water treatment plant.

So the tp has been across the Pacific and NA contentient up to 4 times.

Oh yea, I'm Green!
When going through hell, keep going! Churchill
Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much. E Wiman
I know there’s no solution, so I just enjoy what’s here and I enjoy the journey G Carlin
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Pretorian » Thu 31 Mar 2011, 16:41:44

MarkJ wrote:I'm looking at a free sample of Dole Fruit Crisp.

The package says Apples From China, Packed In Thailand. NOT FOR RESALE.

well china makes 80% of worlds apples
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Thu 31 Mar 2011, 16:54:49

Newfie wrote:1 Cut tree in Canada, shred and ship to China.
3 Print newspaper, read, recycle, pat self on back for being Green. Ship to China.
5 Use Eco Green tp and pat self on back for being Green. Send to water treatment plant.

And that is precisely what cannot exist without cheap oil.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby timmac » Thu 16 Jun 2011, 15:09:16

Sixstrings wrote:
Newfie wrote:1 Cut tree in Canada, shred and ship to China.

And that is precisely what cannot exist without cheap oil.

Thats why this is going to fall apart with high oil.
timmac
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Satori » Thu 16 Jun 2011, 15:14:15

as a matter of keeping yourself and your family safe
I would NEVER buy ANY food products from China

very little of what comes in the U.S. is properly inspected
and if your familiar with environmental issues in China...
I'm just sayin...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01273.html

If I pick up a product and see Made In China on it
it goes back on the shelf
I don't care what it is
NO exceptions
Satori
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby AgentR11 » Thu 16 Jun 2011, 15:16:04

Noticing that the price of these goods is actually pretty close should tell you exactly why China is terrified of further dollar devaluation. Much further, and it will be hard as heck to keep the price of Chinese stuff below the price of US made stuff.

Consumers may not look for a "made in US" sticker, but they sure as heck can tell the difference between $1.05 and $1.25... :-D
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Fiddlerdave » Thu 16 Jun 2011, 15:31:35

The label is a joke. The content of the can or product are certainly partly made in China in most instances.

Look for the cleverly worded "Packed in the USA", for instance, which means the contents are NOT from the USA. Conversely, chickens are shipped from the USA to China for processing and canning, then shipped back labeled "product of the USA".

another example is that China has completely cornered the market on small electronic parts - resistors, capacitors, connectors, transistors, and basic IC chips. If its electronic, part of it came from China.

This has extended to where you see circuit boards in equipment from Japan or Germany, but the circuit boards inside are made in China. Much of Japan's and Germany export (like Siemens products) are made in China, in part or in full, including heavy equipment like 100HP regenerative blowers.
Fiddlerdave
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Return to North America Discussion