Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Osbourne lowers fuel duty

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Osbourne lowers fuel duty

Unread postby Quinny » Wed 23 Mar 2011, 09:54:25

British Chancellor has lowered fuel duty in the budget today.

http://money.uk.msn.com/budget-2011/articles.aspx?cp-documentid=156637099

1.29pm: "We have put fuel in the tank of the British economy" is the chancellor's rather apt (given his fuel duty shock at the end there) closing statement.

Fool.
Live, Love, Learn, Leave Legacy.....oh and have a Laugh while you're doing it!
Quinny
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Osbourne lowers fuel duty

Unread postby dorlomin » Wed 23 Mar 2011, 10:34:57

Quinny wrote:
Fool.
Cylcing past a garage yesterday I actually noticed the petrol price (not sure why) £1.33. Man thats gotta sting. Gideon stuck up VAT by 2.5% in January so the VAT goes on the price of petrol. IF we are in a temporary short term spike due to Libya then using the high fuel duty as a tool to smooth out spikes is actualy very clever.

But thats not really whats going on here. Appeal to the Top Gear vote as their coalition partners, the whigs, are plumbing 9% and they are over 10% behind Labour.
First little glimpses at the future. And we are still a very major oil producer, all them oil lisences must be raking it in for them in the North Sea.
dorlomin
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dolanbaker » Wed 23 Mar 2011, 15:56:53

1p a litre less spent on petrol means 1p that can be spent elsewhere. As it is there are some more fuel price increases in the pipeline that will cancel out this reduction in days, down 1p up 3-5p.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Quinny » Wed 23 Mar 2011, 16:09:04

I was rushing at an unfamiliar garage the other day and chose the wrong pump ie the Super Unleaded.

£1.46 a litre - :(

$10.78 a gallon.

Fixing my bike this weekend.
Quinny
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Quinny » Wed 23 Mar 2011, 16:11:44

dolanbaker wrote:1p a litre less spent on petrol means 1p that can be spent elsewhere. As it is there are some more fuel price increases in the pipeline that will cancel out this reduction in days, down 1p up 3-5p.

I celbrated the reduction by spending my weekly saving at my local pub - I bought myself a Coffee for 99p.

That's going to fuel the recovery to bigger and better times :roll:
Quinny
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dolanbaker » Wed 23 Mar 2011, 16:25:19

Quinny wrote:
dolanbaker wrote:1p a litre less spent on petrol means 1p that can be spent elsewhere. As it is there are some more fuel price increases in the pipeline that will cancel out this reduction in days, down 1p up 3-5p.

I celbrated the reduction by spending my weekly saving at my local pub - I bought myself a Coffee for 99p.

Yep! T'was nothing more than a symbolic gesture, but you did do your bit for the economy!
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Quinny » Wed 23 Mar 2011, 16:51:25

dolanbaker wrote:
Quinny wrote:

Yep! T'was nothing more than a symbolic gesture, but you did do your bit for the economy!

My son sent me this today wrong thread but seemed to fit your response. :)

Marc Faber:

"The federal government is sending each of us a $600 rebate. If we spend that money at Wal-Mart, the money goes to China. If we spend it on gasoline it goes to the Arabs. If we buy a computer it will go to India. If we purchase fruit and vegetables it will go to Mexico, Honduras and Guatemala. If we purchase a good car it will go to Germany. If we purchase useless crap it will go to Taiwan and none of it will help the American economy. The only way to keep that money here at home is to spend it on prostitutes and beer, since these are the only products still produced in US. I've been doing my part."
Quinny
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dolanbaker » Wed 23 Mar 2011, 17:48:36

Quinny wrote:
dolanbaker wrote:
Quinny wrote:

My son sent me this today wrong thread but seemed to fit your response. :)

Marc Faber:

"The federal government is sending each of us a $600 rebate. If we spend that money at Wal-Mart, the money goes to China. If we spend it on gasoline it goes to the Arabs. If we buy a computer it will go to India. If we purchase fruit and vegetables it will go to Mexico, Honduras and Guatemala. If we purchase a good car it will go to Germany. If we purchase useless crap it will go to Taiwan and none of it will help the American economy. The only way to keep that money here at home is to spend it on prostitutes and beer, since these are the only products still produced in US. I've been doing my part."

:lol:
plus, as all money is loaned into existance, it keeps the banksters happy.
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby AdTheNad » Thu 24 Mar 2011, 06:03:39

Quinny wrote:The only way to keep that money here at home is to spend it on prostitutes"

Now the prostitute has the money, what is she (he?) to spend it on 8O
AdTheNad
Coal
Coal

Unread postby dorlomin » Thu 24 Mar 2011, 06:35:53

Apparently Gideon has jacked up the duty on cheap fags and baccy. Ill have to look into that but if so there is a real bad idea, hitting the poor more than the wealthy.
dorlomin
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Return to Economics & Finance