Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

What do you do to relax?

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

What do you do to relax?

Unread postby Narz » Wed 30 Mar 2011, 23:02:38

I think this is an important but not often talked about coping mechanism & survival skill, both in the modern stressful world & any possible future.
“Seek simplicity but distrust it”
Narz
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: What do you do to relax?

Unread postby Hoops_Mckann » Wed 30 Mar 2011, 23:43:39

Nightmares on Wax, rewind, repeat.
Hoops_Mckann
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Lumpy » Wed 30 Mar 2011, 23:55:22

In no particular order of importance:

Read, write, meditate, pray, mow, till, walk the property, play with and work with my dog (in training to be a therapy dog), play computer games, watch the chickens do chicken things, sit by the creek, sit by the pond, do crossword puzzles, watch Netflix, sing ... and have a glass of red wine.

All of the above will be pretty much possible in the future, too, I think. Maybe one or two exceptions. Like Netflix. Which is why we are working on building the DVD collection with stuff we can watch again and again.

Also working on expanding the library.

Lumpy
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." Thomas Jefferson
Lumpy
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby WildRose » Thu 31 Mar 2011, 00:11:01

I like to sing my heart out, swim, walk and play frisbee with my dog, hang out with my kids (who are pretty much young adults now and always make me laugh. They have inherited their mother's odd sense of humor.) Also, I love tending to my garden in the summer and I find baking to be very therapeutic. Watching a good comedy relaxes me. Looking at the sky - any time of day, any time of year.
WildRose
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Crazy_Dad » Thu 31 Mar 2011, 00:13:16

Surfing is the only thing that does it for me - apart from a beer or two.
Even this is getting hard as overcrowding is now an issue.
Crazy_Dad
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby AusJake » Thu 31 Mar 2011, 00:24:39

Unfortunately my relaxing methods won't suit most on here, but it involves burning oil :(
Four wheel driving in the mountains, or riding my motorcycle on the open road, or playing video games on energy intensive electronics.

I find it hard to break away from technology. wish i had a different upbringing but can't find enjoyment without it!
AusJake
Wood
Wood

Unread postby ColossalContrarian » Thu 31 Mar 2011, 01:07:56

I have to do cardio before work to manage the day and lift weights after work to blow off steam. That way I have two hours to myself in the morning and two after work. My most important relaxation time is early morning and late night. I usually only mange to get to the gym 4-6 times a week because sometimes I'll go twice a day but other days I won't go at all. The best relaxation comes directly after exercise in the morning (gets me going) and after work because it changes the mood of the day. Then I get hungry and eat. Sometimes I stretch or do floor yoga and listen to ambient music.

The biggest problem for me is being consistent...Relaxing isn't always a said and done thing.

Sex works too!
ColossalContrarian
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby MarkJ » Thu 31 Mar 2011, 10:43:36

Just about any non business related physical activity including powerlifting, bodybuilding, boxing training, swimming, tubing, waterskiing, powerboating, rowing, sailing, hunting, fishing, ice fishing, hiking, camping, snowmobiling, motorcycling, cruising, clubbing, amusement parks, water fun parks etc.

Post physical activity, I'm generally very relaxed, plus my mood is very positive.

The water relaxes me, so I enjoy sitting on the beach, sitting on the dock, hanging out the boat, or hanging out on the lakes, rivers and islands during the spring to fall boating season. Even then, I get bored if I sit for more than 20 or 30 minutes.
MarkJ
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby mos6507 » Thu 31 Mar 2011, 11:46:57

Make nonsense like this. Laughter is good therapy for me, although it's hardly a "prep".
mos6507

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 31 Mar 2011, 12:08:51

With the extreme weather in Alaska, folks have to do different things in different seasons.

In the winter I keep the wood stove going and I ski and I like to travel to get away from the extreme cold in Alaska (went to Israel and Egypt this winter).

In the spring after the downhill ski area closes I like to go to my lake cabin and xc ski on the frozen lake. The downhill ski area closes this weekend so hopefully I'll get down there and open up the cabin next week.

In summer I like to rollerblade and bike for exercise, and ride my motorcycle and cut up logs on my wood lot and haul the logs up to the house to get in firewood for the winter and I try to do a trip to somewhere special in Alaska...and maybe get some halibut.

In the fall I fish and hunt on my river parcel to get some salmon, ducks, moose etc. for the larder.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby eastbay » Thu 31 Mar 2011, 12:39:36

A few days ago I ran eight miles in the rain, a bit longer than usual. That was very relaxing.

Once or twice a week I lift weights hard enough to hurt for a few days. That's the very definition of relaxing. I happens again tomorrow and I can't wait! :)
Got Dharma?

Everything is Impermanent. Shakyamuni Buddha
eastbay
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Questionmark » Thu 31 Mar 2011, 14:37:27

Drink vodka or beer, yoga, reading in the park, margaritas in the park on Sundays,watch tv shows and movies on hulu or netflix, and smoke pot. Unfortunately I'm incredibly busy and rarely get much time to relax but I usually unwind with a nightcap before going to bed.
Questionmark
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 31 Mar 2011, 16:39:59

Not enough, that is a real problem for me.
When going through hell, keep going! Churchill
Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much. E Wiman
I know there’s no solution, so I just enjoy what’s here and I enjoy the journey G Carlin
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Cloud9 » Thu 31 Mar 2011, 17:27:12

Drink Yuengling.
Cloud9
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Lore » Thu 31 Mar 2011, 17:32:57

eastbay wrote:A few days ago I ran eight miles in the rain, a bit longer than usual. That was very relaxing.

Once or twice a week I lift weights hard enough to hurt for a few days. That's the very definition of relaxing. I happens again tomorrow and I can't wait! :)

This is great conditioning for the future. Although, it will most likely be a bit more stressful with someone chasing you.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby vision-master » Thu 31 Mar 2011, 18:10:56

vision-master

Unread postby The_Toecutter » Thu 31 Mar 2011, 20:05:13

I like to sit back, puff a pipe full of a cherished plant, and read. I also do other things, but I am away from the means with which to pursue them at this time.
The unnecessary felling of a tree, perhaps the old growth of centuries, seems to me a crime little short of murder. ~Thomas Jefferson
The_Toecutter
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby eastbay » Thu 31 Mar 2011, 23:29:36

Lore wrote:
eastbay wrote:A few days ago I ran eight miles in the rain, a bit longer than usual. That was very relaxing.

This is great conditioning for the future. Although, it will most likely be a bit more stressful with someone chasing you.

Getting chased is very stressful.
Getting caught is even more stressful.
Getting caught without the ability to do anything about it is crazy stressful.
Got Dharma?

Everything is Impermanent. Shakyamuni Buddha
eastbay
Expert
Expert

Unread postby americandream » Fri 01 Apr 2011, 00:11:13

Going bush which around here means getting away right into the native bush for a while. I know of a guy who lives bush fulltime and earns a living bartering possum pelts once a year. That would be the ultimate in relaxation....not having to work by any clocks.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Asterisk » Fri 01 Apr 2011, 00:18:45

TENNIS!!!! It's seriously addictive!
Asterisk
Coal
Coal

Next

Return to Open Topic Discussion