Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Sorry but I REALLY need advice (again) about brother!!!!!!

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Sorry but I REALLY need advice (again) about brother!!!!!!

Unread postby Asterisk » Thu 31 Mar 2011, 20:43:54

My brother is talking about moving back to Miami (where I am) because of the radiation. This is VERY bad because he might be passing up a job offer (not sure where....no where near Cali though).

He said that he would be safest here because we are as far south and east as you can get from Japan.

I told him that I would post here and get some of your advice again because you guys know your sh*t.

This is very serious because if he moves back to Miami, he could be passing up an amazing job opportunity and he hasn't worked for a few YEARS (long story).

I'm sorry to post this crap again, but this is really important and I have no where else to turn to for advice on this.

Yes he is irrational. Yes he is being ridiculous, I KNOW that, but that is beside the point. (he has always been that way...drives me nuts!)

I'm not joking guys....this is really serious. If he moves back here, he will be living with his parents (and he is 35) w/no job and he'll just be depressed as hell, which in turn will depress all of us, which in turn will SUCK in every way.

I look forward to your responses and sorry again for the drama here.
Asterisk
Coal
Coal

Re: Sorry but I REALLY need advice (again) about brother!!!!

Unread postby Ferretlover » Thu 31 Mar 2011, 20:49:54

Try giving him a copy of your post.
IMO (and I could be wrong) if there's enough radiation, or the winds are right, the radiation will eventually get around to every part of the planet. After all, we Really have no idea how much is leaking/melting down.
He can run, but, he can't hide.

Plan B: have your parents buy a RV and move.
"Open the gates of hell!" ~Morgan Freeman's character in the movie, Olympus Has Fallen.
Ferretlover
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Asterisk » Thu 31 Mar 2011, 20:59:45

Well I think he would be pissed about the "living with parents" part, lol. So I think it would be better if I just passed along the info.

He is going to a job conference tomorrow and paid a lot of money to fly out there for this and now he's saying that he wants to come back to MIAMI??????

It's really insane, but it is what it is.
Asterisk
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Sixstrings » Thu 31 Mar 2011, 21:38:19

Times are hard out there.. maybe he wants to come back anyway but the radiation is just the rationalization.

Anyhow.. Fukushima radiation is in Florida now, detected by the Crystal River nuclear plant. That was as of a few days ago. Also, radiation is already in milk in Washington state.. so if the radiation is here too, it's going to get in our milk too.

So just tell him that, the radiation is already here anyway. Maybe show him all the posts that say radiation is no big deal, bananas have radiation, hugging someone is radioactive, etc.

Back to milk.. anyone know if we should all avoid drinking it for a while? Little too late for me, got a gallon yesterday without thinking about it.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Ibon » Thu 31 Mar 2011, 21:52:00

My daughter is a junior next year in college and will be going to Tokyo in September to a University as an exchange student for 5 months. My wife and I are monitoring the situation but we are not against her going at this point.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby eXpat » Thu 31 Mar 2011, 22:16:06

Hmm, your brother is freaking out big time, now , this is my piece of advice: if you confront his ideas is not gonna pay attention to you, the best is to redirect his intended course of action, I´m a loony too so I know from experience :lol: .
Tell him that is better to get that job there, since he can make more money that can expend in preps.
And if he is freacked out about the radiation, there are shops that sell casual clothing anti radiation, tell him to buy some clothing from there:
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/433531827/2011_men_s_formal_tnf_anti/showimage.html
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/261421322/KISSBABY_Radiation_Protection_exposure_suit_FDB.html
http://www.anunico.us/ad/clothes_shoes_accessories/anti_radiation_working_clothing_for_men_and_women-924165.html
or fabrics and have some clothing made:
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/429253304/Anti_Radiation_Khaki_Fabric.html
Is better to have him working with a whole new wardrobe, that not working at all.
Is just an idea, motivate him to go and get that job and not to stay at home, because he will get overworked mentally that way. He needs something to discharge his energy.
Hope it helps.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
George Bernard Shaw

You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.” Ayn Rand
eXpat
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Cloud9 » Thu 31 Mar 2011, 22:30:22

Remind him of Oedipus Rex.
Cloud9
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Asterisk » Thu 31 Mar 2011, 22:32:07

LOL Cloud!!! :lol:

Great stuff guys, thanks.

I like the idea that radiation is here in Florida because that kind of blows his whole argument.

And I think he WILL buy those clothes if I know him! LOL
Asterisk
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Oneaboveall » Fri 01 Apr 2011, 01:32:32

Asterisk wrote: If he moves back here, he will be living with his parents (and he is 35) w/no job and he'll just be depressed as hell...

[smilie=new_Llol.gif]
When the banksters want something, our policymakers move with the speed of Mercury and the determination of Ares. It’s only when the rest of us need something that there is paralysis.

How free are we today with the dominance of globalist capital and militarized security apparatus?
Oneaboveall
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby papa moose » Fri 01 Apr 2011, 02:16:32

Asterisk, anyone one else posting this stuff and i'd be making a comment about the date stamp. :)
"That really annoying person you know, the one who's always spouting bullshit, the person who always thinks they're right?
Well, the odds are that for somebody else, you're that person.
So take the amount you think you know, reduce it by 99.999%, and then you'll have an idea of how much you actually know..."
papa moose
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby ian807 » Fri 01 Apr 2011, 08:44:38

Gently remind your brother about hurricanes. These can kill you quickly and violently, vs. the rather small odds that the trivial radiation from Japan will give him cancer. Actually, if he drives to Florida, he'll be at far more risk from automobile accidents than from radiation. Add pictures of Florida hurricanes. Very convincing.
ian807
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Fri 01 Apr 2011, 10:20:27

He has a psychiatrist? Has he struggled with imaginary problems before?

Nobody should let him move in, and that's for his own good.
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Asterisk » Fri 01 Apr 2011, 11:50:41

Believe it or not, I think your responses convinced him (although we'll see if it lasts). ESPECIALLY the one about radiation being found in Florida, but also the "banana's emit radiation" quote. I even mentioned hurricanes...especially since they are supposed to be increasing in intensity due to GW.

As for his issues, it was probably inappropriate to mention them here. Let's leave it at that.

Thank you again!
Asterisk
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Sixstrings » Fri 01 Apr 2011, 13:15:30

Asterisk wrote:Believe it or not, I think your responses convinced him (although we'll see if it lasts). ESPECIALLY the one about radiation being found in Florida..

Glad I could help. Here's the link on that:

Trace of radiation from troubled Japanese nuclear plant detected at Crystal River

After detecting higher-than-normal levels of radiation in their measurements, Florida power companies are attributing the increases to a damaged nuclear plant in Japan.
http://www.tampabay.com/news/environment/article1160208.ece

but also the "banana's emit radiation" quote.

I was being tongue-in-cheek, but in the "there is no safe radiation" thread Scas linked a chart showing all the things radiation comes from. After listening to folks like Gas, I'm not too convinced (credible studies show one million deaths in Europe because of Chernobyl). But don't tell him that. ;) Main point is, radiation is here in Florida so it doesn't make sense to move here to escape it.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Asterisk » Fri 01 Apr 2011, 21:43:23

I won't tell him sixstrings :).....but your post really might have had a huge impact on his decision, and in turn our entire family. Thank you man.

Gaston, he isn't worried about nuclear plants in the US, although thanks for the link. He is worried about radiation from Japan.
Asterisk
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Skinner » Sat 02 Apr 2011, 20:55:27

Asterisk wrote:
Gaston, he isn't worried about nuclear plants in the US, although thanks for the link. He is worried about radiation from Japan.

To late. It's here. WSJ says so, and its been reported by others as well. Lets just hope that the mutations are more X-men than X-files.
Skinner
Peat
Peat

Unread postby eXpat » Sat 02 Apr 2011, 23:05:04

Skinner wrote:
Asterisk wrote:

To late. It's here. WSJ says so, and its been reported by others as well. Lets just hope that the mutations are more X-men than X-files.

And this can go on for months!
Fukushima Forecast: Radioactive particles concentrated over Northwest U.S. on April 6
Fukushima Potential Releases, Xe-133 Total Column for April 2-April 6, 2011, Norwegian Institute for Air Research (NILU), April 2, 2011:

Note the radiation cloud is the same blue color in the Pacific Northwest as it is just off the coast of Japan, indicating similar concentrations.

http://enenews.com/fukushima-forecast-radioactive-particles-concentrated-northwest-april-6-video
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
George Bernard Shaw

You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.” Ayn Rand
eXpat
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Skinner » Sat 02 Apr 2011, 23:19:01

eXpat wrote:And this can go on for months!
Fukushima Forecast: Radioactive particles concentrated over Northwest U.S. on April 6

The DOOM has arrived!! Took its own sweet time in getting here too!
Skinner
Peat
Peat

Unread postby eXpat » Sat 02 Apr 2011, 23:56:30

Skinner wrote:The DOOM has arrived!! Took its own sweet time in getting here too!

Nah, no doom with capital letters just some radiactivity and maybe some muties here and there! :shock: :lol:
George Bernard Shaw

eXpat
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Next

Return to Open Topic Discussion