Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Just moved from the country to the suburbs

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Just moved from the country to the suburbs

Unread postby Ayoob » Thu 07 Apr 2011, 04:00:10

I can walk or bike 1.5 miles to the train, take the train for free into town, and finish off with a .75 mile walk/bike to my workplace. The higher rent is much cheaper than the price to commute to my old job way out in the boonies, it's a win/win for me.

No gardening opportunities for us at all.

We can pressure can like nobody's business, and I don't think I'll ever pay store prices for booze again.

I dunno, we're just going to have to figure out frugality from a new perspective. No chickens, no tomatoes, hopefully we can grow some herbs and at least have fresh sweet basil and rosemary at will for a while.

I dunno, I'm lost at this point. The boonies are so isolated, there's no help out there, very little to connect with. In the city, I feel a little more at home, I think I can stretch my resources further.

I thought I had a lot more figured out than I really did.
Ayoob
Expert
Expert

Re: Just moved from the country to the suburbs

Unread postby Pops » Thu 07 Apr 2011, 08:25:41

I had a dream the other night that I lived in town. It was a cool town in a funky way, I kinda liked it - but it was a dream... :)

I think it doesn't matter so much where you are as how well adapted you are. Just because a person is able to have some chickens and a big garden really is little advantage if they are commuting 30 miles one way, have a big mortgage, huge bills and a tenuous job situation.

Like Orvolv said, it's better to be voluntarily poor (or frugal) than to have no choice. For me that's the best plan, learn to live way below your means today and if To Cheap To Meter energy comes along tomorrow you're missed nothing worth remembering.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Re: Just moved from the country to the suburbs

Unread postby AgentR11 » Thu 07 Apr 2011, 09:16:51

I don't really know your land situation, but it is more common than you might imagine where folks live in town, but have land/garden in the nearby countryside. Mostly in small towns in rural settings I suppose, with the acreage within 10-20 miles of the town. Probably not so applicable to someone living in Los Angeles or something.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Return to North America Discussion