Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

'Peak Oil Production' Now Co-opted into 'Peak Oil Prices'?

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

'Peak Oil Production' Now Co-opted into 'Peak Oil Prices'?

Unread postby bratticus » Sun 10 Apr 2011, 21:05:38

Money has degraded Peak Oil. Never did M. King Hubbert show a price chart. The price effects of peak oil may exist but they are besides the point. Price effects are always manipulated ones. In May 2009 the US Senate released a report indicating that regulations previously preventing speculation from being able to drive the commodities market had been relaxed, allowing three times as many shares to be held by a single trader.

But it doesn't matter. The term "peak oil" was coined by petroleum geologists coming from academic backgrounds where if you said "peak oil" they would think "production rates" not "prices." Because of this the term was not made foolproof against perversions which economists and consumers would warp it into.

In 2008 when the price of oil went above $100/barrel the term "peak oil" was suddenly interesting to the unwashed masses. When the bubble burst, oil production rates didn't rise as the price fell, they remained consistent with the fact that you can't get crude oil out of the ground any faster than geophysical limits permit.
bratticus
Permanently Banned

Re: 'Peak Oil Production' Now Co-opted into 'Peak Oil Prices

Unread postby Skinner » Sun 10 Apr 2011, 22:06:49

bratticus wrote:Money has degraded Peak Oil. Never did M. King Hubbert show a price chart.

He was a scientist. Not a rapturist. Or an economist. So why would he?

bratticus wrote: The term "peak oil" was coined by petroleum geologists coming from academic backgrounds where if you said "peak oil" they would think "production rates" not "prices." Because of this the term was not made foolproof against perversions which economists and consumers would warp it into.

And peak oilists. They seem pretty hysterical after peak oil happened and all they got out of it was a 1970's sized price spike. Big whoop. At least then we had shortages and rationing and stuff.

Bratticus wrote:In 2008 when the price of oil went above $100/barrel the term "peak oil" was suddenly interesting to the unwashed masses. When the bubble burst, oil production rates didn't rise as the price fell, they remained consistent with the fact that you can't get crude oil out of the ground any faster than geophysical limits permit.

Geophysical limits aren't the problem when you run into infrastructure limitations. Infrastructure is. Besides, hopefully this time around Americans learned enough from the price spikes to do something about it. I'm a fan of bicycles myself, but electrics will probably do for the unwashed masses.
Skinner
Peat
Peat

Unread postby bratticus » Tue 12 Apr 2011, 08:25:43

pstarr wrote:Kinda PC, huh?

Your pointing that out is even more so.
bratticus
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Skinner » Tue 12 Apr 2011, 19:05:05

pstarr wrote:
Skinner wrote:Geophysical limits aren't the problem when you run into infrastructure limitations. Infrastructure is. Besides, hopefully this time around Americans learned enough from the price spikes to do something about it. I'm a fan of bicycles myself, but electrics will probably do for the unwashed masses.
So you're the new hot-shit skeptic?

I'm not a skeptic. I think peak oil is perfectly legitimate but has been somewhat of a bust on the economic front, admittedly it wasn't designed as an economic concept but it has obviously been converted to one. And while certainly a possible irritant (like to those who judge the quality of their lifestyle choices by the price of gasoline) it doesn't have to be that way.

Are you claiming this is unreasonable?

pstarr wrote: Wow, long time shorty/xeno. We're so impressed. :twisted:

I don't understand the reference.

pstarr wrote:I like the "geophysical limits aren't the problem when you run into infrastructure limitation (limits would do nicely for a less word-enlarged ego)" "unwashed masses," "bicycles," blah blah blah.

Kinda PC, huh?

Now you object to...bicycles?
Skinner
Peat
Peat

Unread postby bratticus » Thu 14 Apr 2011, 08:41:14

Oh, I'll just go back to using "peak oil prices" the new co-opted-by consumerism version of peak oil.
bratticus
Permanently Banned

Return to Peak Oil Discussion