Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

How many times can I use a TurboTax disk?

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

How many times can I use a TurboTax disk?

Unread postby LaLaLand » Mon 11 Apr 2011, 14:27:48

This is what TurboTax says on the box and its customer support section:

"TurboTax allows you to prepare and electronically file up to five federal and related state tax returns"

Does that mean if I bought the software in 2008 and used it for tax years 2007, 2008, and 2009 I can still use it for tax year 2010 because I only "electronically filed" 3 times via the original disk bought in 2008?

I know, from past experience, that the software will automatically download up-to-date information that conforms to the current tax code upon installation. But, what I don't know is if software bought in (for example) 2008 will pull for 2010's tax code because I've never tried.

Anyone know?

Thanks
LaLaLand
Peat
Peat

Re: How many times can I use a TurboTax disk?

Unread postby steam_cannon » Mon 11 Apr 2011, 16:07:00

Try giving them a call:
contacthelp.com wrote:http://www.contacthelp.com/directory/Shopping/Computer+Software/TurboTax?ListingID=451

Phone:
866-888-2402

How to reach a live person:
Keep pressing "#" when they request social security number. Took me 2 or 3 times before their system gave up and placed me in the queue to speak to a customer service rep.

Hours of Operation:
Mon-Sun: 5am-9pm PT

Or try their online system which is designed to drive away people seeking help:
turbotax wrote:http://turbotax.intuit.com/support/iq/Recommendations/Trying-to-Contact-Us-or-Reach-the-TurboTax-Support-Telephone-Number-/GEN12151.html
https://turbotax.intuit.com/support/contact/index.jsp

Turbo Tax sucks, IMHO. :-D
"The multiplication force of technology on cognitive differences is massive." -Jordan Peterson
steam_cannon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Mon 11 Apr 2011, 16:57:37

I would be surprised/amazed if they'll let you file for year N+1, N+2, etc. with the package from year N. Let's face it -- these corporations are all out to maximize income.

I THINK the 5 return limit would let you file that year's returns for you plus 4 relatives, friends, etc. Also, if you have to file an amended return, it wouldn't surprise me if they don't count that against your limit -- but I'm an admitted cynic.

Paid preparer's fees, styles, cooperativeness, etc vary WILDLY in my experience. You might want to check around -- I have found the premium over Turbo-tax to have my friend do all the work WELL worth the price -- and his program is WAY better than Turbo Tax.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby AgentR11 » Mon 11 Apr 2011, 17:53:25

I use and like turbo tax.

The 2008 turbo tax software will only create 2008 returns. That you apparently filed them anyway as current taxes, and not got a visit, indicates to me that you are in the simplified form category, and could easily file your taxes with the free online versions now available.

As to how many times you can use the disk, probably unlimited, in the sense that you are using it only for you, to do your return. As with most software, a simple rule of thumb is that as long as you have it installed on only one machine, its probably in compliance with its EULA.

To the extension/amended thing; I've never had to do it, but the way its laid out seems to indicate that it'd be considered to be working on the same return.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Return to Open Topic Discussion