Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Hydrocarbons forever

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Hydrocarbons forever

Unread postby Graeme » Tue 12 Apr 2011, 17:48:31

An audacious new theory to compete with "Peak Oil": Hydrocarbons forever.

What if scientists could transform coal-fired power plants from giant carbon dioxide emitters into giant carbon sinks? Some say that they can, and will. Graciela Chichilnisky, a founder of Global Thermostat, admits it's hard to believe: "The more energy the less the emissions—it's mind boggling."

Global Thermostat and at least two competitors say they can pull carbon dioxide straight from the air, potentially at costs low enough to solve global warming and provide an infinite source of gas by using the CO2 to feed algae. Chichilnisky summarizes her company's business model this way: "Take CO2 from the air and turn it into cash."

As a technical matter the idea is clearly possible. Expensive machines used in submarines and space craft have been pulling CO2 out of the air for generations. The trick is making sucking CO2 out of the air economically feasible. In practice that means beating the cost of carbon capture and sequestration, which typically run $50 per ton.

Traditional chemical engineering thinking says: good luck with that. The difficulty of separating out one type of gas gets exponentially greater the lower its starting concentration. The concentration of CO2 in the air is growing but still thin on a relative basis, roughly 400 parts per million. By contrast, the CO2 that's possible to capture as its emitted from power plants, which today is often captured and sequestered, is often 300 times more concentrated.

But the companies all say they have cracked that problem by building low-cost systems for grabbing and concentrating atmospheric CO2. One trick is to use the waste heat from a coal plant or other industrial sources to power the carbon capture.

fortune
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Re: Hydrocarbons forever

Unread postby vision-master » Tue 12 Apr 2011, 17:53:35

The idea of creating energy/ power through explosion processes will seem very stone age'ish within a short while from now. :)
vision-master

Unread postby dbruning » Tue 12 Apr 2011, 18:07:57

Hey VM,

You referring to Rossi's CF Generator? I'm quietly waiting until October to see how that pans out. I REALLY hope it does, but it smells a little. On the plus side the guy isn't looking for funding...so maybe it's legit. Guess we find out in less than 1/2 a year.
Linky

and yes, the "Convinced they have already adequately proven this to the necessary parties, they are not in a hurry to give demonstrations to curious scientists." part is what smells.

If you're referring to something else please say, I see a lot of unpleasantness coming down the pipe, and any good news is...well....good. ;)
dbruning
Coal
Coal

Unread postby vision-master » Tue 12 Apr 2011, 18:38:58

I heard they are planning or already have installed one of these units in a Greek industrial plant. I think Rossi is moving cautiously at this point in time.
vision-master

Unread postby efarmer » Tue 12 Apr 2011, 20:18:02

This all makes me very envious, to date my best work in this field has been the achievement
of pulling in carbon dioxide bubbles from fermented grain products and running them through
a human biology based process that converts them to methane gas.

I guess I better keep my day job...
efarmer
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dbruning » Wed 13 Apr 2011, 11:33:15

Efarmer, but on the plus side, if you can get a patent for that and someone to pay for you to do it....SCORE! hehehe
dbruning
Coal
Coal

Return to Peak Oil Discussion