Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

A Look at Shell’s Future Energy Predictions

Discuss research and forecasts regarding hydrocarbon depletion.

Unread postby Graeme » Wed 13 Apr 2011, 20:02:31

I have recently reviewed the predictions made by BP and ExxonMobil as they relate to energy supply and demand in the years to 2030. Shell has just updated their predictions, which extend further out to 2050. In the opening discussion they make the point that new technologies will require, in their words significant time to develop.

New energy technologies must be demonstrated at commercial scale and require thirty years of sustained double-digit growth to build industrial capacity and grow sufficiently to feature at even 1-2% of the energy system.

Thus much of the focus of the report deals with existing fossil fuel capabilities. Specific new factors that have led to the modification of earlier predictions include the greater instability of the global economy; the growth of uncertainty over regulatory steps that will be taken both to address the concerns over climate change, and in light of the Macondo well disaster; the improved supply potential for natural gas both from shales and coal bed methane supplies; and the emergence of a re-invigorated Iraqi energy industry with a potential to develop significant new resources.

Shell has, in the past, developed two different energy scenarios – the first of which it calls Scramble, where the world moves along a Business As Usual (BUA) scenario, only making changes as these become forced upon governments and companies by the impact of changing circumstance. The second is called Blueprint, a scenario that Shell is now announcing it will advocate, where instead of the reactive approach of Scramble, a set of plans is developed to pro-actively address the issues of carbon dioxide generation, and to ensure the world has adequate energy.

The difference between the two approaches was illustrated in the initial document by the predicted sources of energy through the years to 2050. By putting these one after the other, it is possible to compare how supply changes in their two scenarios.

oilprice
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Re: A Look at Shell’s Future Energy Predictions

Unread postby sparky » Thu 14 Apr 2011, 03:55:51

A point worth highlighting , quoting the Shell report

"New energy technologies must be demonstrated at commercial scale and require thirty years of sustained double-digit growth to build industrial capacity and grow sufficiently to feature at even 1-2% of the energy system."

So far "New energy technologies " are a bust unless financed at a grievous loss by various government eager to court inner city greens votes
this must be repeated again ,
there is no money making new energy technologies
one could suspect there is never going to be any ever until energy cost increase by an order of magnitude ( X10 )

Anyone who advocate a rosy future based on wishful thinking is a fool or a fraud
the future of advanced consumer society , or even moderately comfortable one is based on fossil fuel ,
that is regrettable but is a plain fact
the rest is intellectual self abuse :)
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby AirlinePilot » Sun 17 Apr 2011, 22:30:49

With respect to Shell, I'd say they are basically just rehashing old ground. Thier BAU scenario is also quite problematic in light of what is still transpiring globally with sovereign debt calamities and the dearth of money which would otherwise be available in a more healthy economic paradigm. What is presently at question for me is how even the BAU scenario can fuel itself outside of anything other than an almost ideal economic environment. Something I believe will NOT be with us for quite some time and easily has the possibility to be far worse than what we are presently experiencing.
AirlinePilot

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Tue 19 Apr 2011, 00:36:19

AirlinePilot wrote: What is presently at question for me is how even the BAU scenario can fuel itself outside of anything other than an almost ideal economic environment. Something I believe will NOT be with us for quite some time and easily has the possibility to be far worse than what we are presently experiencing.

+1

The politicians' motivation is obvious -- sounding whiny (like Ron Paul, even though he's right about the abuse of the dollar by the Fed) will NOT get you elected to a major office in the US. Projecting optomisism, confidence, and an aura of competence is a requirement for them (despite their track records). :lol:

Business' motivation is obvious -- they want to sell us their junk, so they can get their bonuses and buy THEIR (wildly expensive) junk.

The financial industry's motivation is obvious -- they want us to belive in BAU so that we'll continue to buy their services (mediocre to bad advice, at wildly inflated prices). Also, they don't dare make a "wild" prediction and be wrong -- too dangerous to their credibility (why they HAVE credibility is mostly hard for me to fathom).

People in general are idiots. They just can't imagine anything other than BAU in the big picture. (Besides, that would be inconvenient, and government can just "fix it" as it "always does" if something goes wrong -- just raise taxes and pass more laws for more regulation(!) That will fix everything. :roll:

Nothing about human stupidity surprises me anymore. It reminds me of the cartoon I saw of a commercial airline pilot (in the cockpit of a big passenger plane in flight) saying to the copilot of the scene ahead: "What's that goat doing in that cloudbank?" Denial works until the bitter end -- when it doesn't.

The overall scene seems wildly more and more volatile and unsustainable to me -- but what do I know? All I do is read the news and economic stats and try to make projections...
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Return to Peak oil studies, reports & models