Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Is there an alternative to Bunker Fuels for the Ships?

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Is there an alternative to Bunker Fuels for the Ships?

Unread postby petrojobrecruit » Mon 18 Apr 2011, 15:34:21

I read an article on Discovery.com about Ships saving fuels by tagging on to massive kites! yes - just like a kite!
An enormous sail works in tandem with a ship's engines, cutting back on fuel consumption, costs and carbon footprint
http://news.discovery.com/tech/sky-sail ... 10415.html
Very interesting!
We are already past PEAK OIL and descending into ZERO OIL.
petrojobrecruit
Wood
Wood

Re: Is there an alternative to Bunker Fuels for the Ships?

Unread postby Subjectivist » Wed 23 Aug 2017, 10:43:01

Bunker fuel aka Diesel #4 aka heavy oil s the fuel of choice because it is cheap compared to lighter grades of diesel. There is nothing stopping a diesel or steam ship operators from burning kerosene or road diesel except for the price.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Subjectivist » Wed 23 Aug 2017, 20:01:43

pstarr wrote:
Subjectivist wrote:Bunker fuel aka Diesel #4 aka heavy oil s the fuel of choice because it is cheap compared to lighter grades of diesel. There is nothing stopping a diesel or steam ship operators from burning kerosene or road diesel except for the price.

So they will chose kerosene because the cheap stuff is no longer cheap. Holy jeez, did you actually think that one through? This gets nuttier the closer we get.
But I do agree with your religious world-view Sub. End Times :shock: are a Nutter Times lol

Clearly you completely lack the skill of reading comprehension and cover your embarresment with child like insults. I clearly wrote the reason Bunker Fuel is Diesel #4 is because it is cheap and available, not because other fuels would not work to do the same job.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Wed 23 Aug 2017, 22:53:37

Coal dust is the obvious answer.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby dissident » Thu 24 Aug 2017, 00:02:41

SeaGypsy wrote:Coal dust is the obvious answer.

They are already burning Orimulsion. The Venezuelan product which is bitumen suspended in water.

http://www.power-technology.com/projects/wasa/

The heat and pressure in the giant ship diesel piston chambers basically upgrades this emulsion into a lighter fuel by breaking longer chain hydrocarbons into shorter ones and increasing the number of hydrogen functional groups (moieties) in the carbon compounds. But the emulsion requires quite a bit of engineering to work. I suspect the best variant is a nano-emulsion since surface physics and chemistry become dominant in the small droplet limit.

Tar sands produce syncrude with upgraders that engage in hydrogenation of bitumen (increasing H:C ratio).

http://www.oilsandsmagazine.com/technic ... -upgrading
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sat 26 Aug 2017, 14:37:28

petrojobrecruit wrote:I read an article on Discovery.com about Ships saving fuels by tagging on to massive kites! yes - just like a kite!
An enormous sail works in tandem with a ship's engines, cutting back on fuel consumption, costs and carbon footprint
http://news.discovery.com/tech/sky-sail ... 10415.html
Very interesting!
We are already past PEAK OIL and descending into ZERO OIL.

Since when does conservation imply zero supply?

Since when does a huge glut, suppressing new E&P imply zero supply?

Why post such drivel?
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby toolpush » Sun 27 Aug 2017, 02:31:51

I am not sure if any body here realises, but new pollution regulations are coming into effect that lower the amount of sulphur emissions with in zones around the US, Canada and Europe. This will require ships burning bunker C, the need to install scrubbers, burn MGO (Marine Gas Oil) 500ppm sulphur or LNG. Due to cheap oil at the moment, the MGO is the popular route, though a lot of ships that spend most of their time in the control zones are converting/ being built to burn LNG.

The new regs will be an issue for the shipping companies to work out, but the oil refineries will also have an issue as well. The shipping industry has for years been the garbage disposal for the crap that is left over from the refinery process. As the use of Bunker C decreases, the oil refineries will need to find another outlet, or install more equipment to upgrade this crap into something usable. Of course Saudi can continue importing Bunker C to burn in their power stations to free up more crude to sell on the world market.
toolpush
Lignite
Lignite

Return to Open Topic Discussion