Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Why price wars won't solve the problem

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Why price wars won't solve the problem

Unread postby Rod_Cloutier » Mon 18 Apr 2011, 22:12:51

I receive alot of chain e-mail letters from clueless family and friends. They usually get the deletion button without being read, but this one caught my eye. A bogus scam to reduce the price of gas by forcing gas companies into a price war. It included an absurd assertion 'if you tell 30 people and they tell 30, an so forth...300 million people will become involved in Canada'. (This of course ignoring that the population of Canada is only 36 million!).

Here's what it said:

THIS IS NOT THE 'DON'T BUY' GAS FOR ONE DAY, BUT IT WILL SHOW YOU HOW WE CAN GET GAS BACK DOWN TO $1.00 PER LITRE.

This was sent by a retired Coca Cola executive. It came from one of his engineer buddies who retired from Halliburton. If you are tired of the gas prices going up AND they will continue to rise this summer, take time to read this please.

Phillip Hollsworth offered this good idea.
This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy gas on a certain day" campaign that was going around last April or May!
It's worth your consideration. Join the resistance!!!!

I hear we are going to hit close to $ 1.50 a litre by this summer and it might go higher!! Want gasoline prices to come down?

We need to take some intelligent, united action.
The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to "hurt" ourselves by refusing to buy gas ..

It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them.
BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can Really work. Please read on and join with us!

By now you're probably thinking gasoline priced at about $.99 is super cheap. Me too! It is currently $1.18 at SUNOCO and ESSO for regular unleaded in Hamilton and Ottawa and climbing every week.

Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $.87 to .99, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace..not sellers.

With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to take action.

The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their gas! And, we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves.

How? Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying gas.

But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a price war.

Here's the idea: For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one), SUNOCO(PETRO CANADA) and ESSO.

If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit.

But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of SUNOCO(PETRO CANADA) and ESSO gas buyers. It's really simple to do! Now, don't wimp out on me at this point...keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I am sending this note to 30 people. If each of us send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300) ... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000)... and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth group of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers .
If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted!

If it goes one level further, you guessed it..... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all!

(If you don't understand how we can reach 300 million and all you have to do is send this to 10 people.... Well, let's face it, you just aren't a mathematician But I am .. so trust me on this one.

How long would all that take? If each of us sends this e-mail out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!

I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you! Acting together we
can make a difference.

If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on. I suggest that we not buy from SUNOCO(PETRO CANADA)/ESSO UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE $.79 RANGE AND KEEP THEM DOWN. THIS CAN REALLY WORK.

No it can't really work. The plan completely ignores the basics of supply and demand. Ignores that our society, in its present form, cannot function without fossil fuels, and that the economy would collapse without them. This chain letter shows the shallow, and gross ignorance of the majority of people who have no understanding of how our society works or what keeps it functioning. That forcing 'competition' between sellers is in any way a real or permanent solution to anything. That a short term reduction of gas prices for the summer months is even a goal worth pursuing.

A few DAYS without petroleum and there would be no food on the shelves, a few months and kiss any chance of a national food harvest goodbye, a year, well you know, the end of business as usual and total collapse.

I am continually astonished at how stupid alot of people who participate in these scams are.
Rod_Cloutier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: Why price wars won't solve the problem

Unread postby Lore » Mon 18 Apr 2011, 22:30:54

This was going around during the last spike in prices.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Re: Why price wars won't solve the problem

Unread postby cipi604 » Tue 19 Apr 2011, 01:39:29

Regarding the fact that Canada is a net oil exporter, the government could cut the tax at the pump. But even at 2$ a liter , it is cheap.
cipi604
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Return to Open Topic Discussion