Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

McDonalds overwhelmed on national hiring day, part time jobs

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

McDonalds overwhelmed on national hiring day, part time jobs

Unread postby Sixstrings » Wed 20 Apr 2011, 11:55:20

McDonald's restaurants overwhelmed by job seekers

They want jobs. They need to work. From Laguna Boulevard in Elk Grove to Sunrise Boulevard in Citrus Heights, job seekers lined up before dawn Tuesday and crowded McDonald's restaurants across the region late into the afternoon on the restaurant chain's national hiring day.

The fast-food chain hoped to hire 50,000 employees for its more than 14,000 U.S. locations..

NOTE: 80% of the jobs are part time with only 18 hours per week, no benefits. The media hyping this thing won't mention that. 18 hour per week low wage McJobs is no kind of recovery.

McDonald's didn't have a complete count on how many applicants showed up Tuesday, but so many arrived on some local McDonald's doorsteps that restaurant owners were nearly overwhelmed.

"At one point, we had 120 people outside the door
, but we were able to get all 120 interviewed," said Courtney Ristuben at her Citrus Heights location on Sunrise Boulevard and Old Auburn Road.
Halfway through her four-hour afternoon hiring session, from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m., Ristuben and her team had seen 300 job seekers. She anticipated another 300 by dinner time.

"We've seen 15- and 16-year-olds looking for their first job to people 50, 55 and over, first-time high schoolers to 20 years' experience looking for anything we have to offer," Ristuben said.

It's a sobering sign of the times in Sacramento and across the country.

McDonald's and other fast-food chains, once a first job for teenagers, appear to be turning into an employer of more adults: The average age of a fast-food worker is 29.5, up from 22 in 2000, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.
http://www.sacbee.com/2011/04/20/3565127/mcdonalds-restaurants-overwhelmed.html

At one McDonalds, a fight broke out and people got run over or something:

Police Continue Search for Suspect in McDonald's Hiring Day Melee
http://www.fox8.com/news/wjw-news-mcdonalds-hiring-arrests,0,6962139.story

I read somewhere else that 80% of jobs created this year have all been part time. The media never mentions that when they tout all the job growth (which hasn't even been enough to keep up with population growth much less get the jobless to work). McDonalds was looking to their 50,000 on their hiring day -- that breaks down to 40,000 part time jobs at 18 hours per week and 10,000 jobs that are something closer to full time.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Re: McDonalds overwhelmed on national hiring day, part time

Unread postby Livewire713 » Wed 20 Apr 2011, 12:27:30

Those tax cuts to the wealthy and corporations are really starting to pay off! :cry:
Livewire713
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 20 Apr 2011, 12:55:34

Obama's stimulus program to create jobs is finally starting to work! 8)
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Lore » Wed 20 Apr 2011, 13:05:25

I heard that the average pay was going to be around $8.50 for these workers, which doesn’t jive with the current stats. According to surveys, the national average for a McDonald fast food worker is $7.58 and a whopping $9.65 for restaurant manager.

CNBC had some bobble-head on this morning touting how great these 50,000 jobs were for the economic recovery. That these entry level jobs meant a start for people entering the work force and would lead to them working up to manager positions in the future. Which would be a 1 in 50 fat chance.

I wonder, if the average worker’s age is 30 it would seem to me that this is not entry level work, but a choice of last resort. So much for ‘tinkle down economics”.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Sixstrings » Fri 22 Apr 2011, 13:38:45

Violence in another Mc Donalds almost kills customer

Here is another fine example of the trend of violence in fast food restaurants. Two black females beating the hell out of a white patron, while several black employees stand by and watch. One black male manages to provide the facade of assistance to the white victim in this brutal attack.

The two black females exit, then re-enter the store to continue the beating, until a an older white woman attempts to stop them from dragging the white victim outside into the parking lot. note: the black male employees have disappeared from camera view, even though they are plenty well capable of stopping the attack.

At the end, the white victim is beaten until she has a seizure, at which point the camera operator warns the black female attackers to flee, because the police are on the way. Note: he makes sure to repeatedly tell the criminal attackers to flee, instead of keeping them there for the police to apprehend.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ec0_1303444048

Video: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ec0_1303444048

Ok the writeup on Liveleak sounds racist. But anyhow.. this attack was brutal. McDonalds just had that fight on Hiring Day with applicants run over by a car, now this.. 8O

American society is breaking down. Wtf, these are girls fighting. And yet neither the restaurant staff nor the guy filming it all bothered to stop them from beating this woman into a seizure right on the floor, right in front of them.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Livewire713 » Fri 22 Apr 2011, 14:18:20

Sixstrings wrote:
Violence in another Mc Donalds almost kills customer

Here is another fine example of the trend of violence in fast food restaurants. Two black females beating the hell out of a white patron, while several black employees stand by and watch. One black male manages to provide the facade of assistance to the white victim in this brutal attack.

The two black females exit, then re-enter the store to continue the beating, until a an older white woman attempts to stop them from dragging the white victim outside into the parking lot. note: the black male employees have disappeared from camera view, even though they are plenty well capable of stopping the attack.

At the end, the white victim is beaten until she has a seizure, at which point the camera operator warns the black female attackers to flee, because the police are on the way. Note: he makes sure to repeatedly tell the criminal attackers to flee, instead of keeping them there for the police to apprehend.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ec0_1303444048

Video: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ec0_1303444048

Ok the writeup on Liveleak sounds racist. But anyhow.. this attack was brutal. McDonalds just had that fight on Hiring Day with applicants run over by a car, now this.. 8O

American society is breaking down. Wtf, these are girls fighting. And yet neither the restaurant staff nor the guy filming it all bothered to stop them from beating this woman into a seizure right on the floor, right in front of them.

Disturbing to watch, how people can just stand and watch as someone else gets beat like that is beyond me. Its sad when the only one to come to her aid was a elderly woman. I hope she is ok and sues the $hit out of McDonalds and the two women that beat her should spend several years in jail.
Livewire713
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby eXpat » Fri 22 Apr 2011, 14:21:27

Livewire713 wrote:Disturbing to watch, how people can just stand and watch as someone else gets beat like that is beyond me. Its sad when the only one to come to her aid was a elderly woman. I hope she is ok and sues the $hit out of McDonalds and the two women that beat her should spend several years in jail.

Shocking to say the least but not really surprising, that is just another example that when violence erupts you are on your own.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
George Bernard Shaw

You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.” Ayn Rand
eXpat
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Fri 22 Apr 2011, 14:51:51

Just a note..

I didn't watch the whole vid before posting. I just now watched most of it.. had to turn it off when she started having the seizure, that's too sad to watch.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Sixstrings » Fri 22 Apr 2011, 18:21:13

Some more info coming out..

McDonald's Employee Took Credit For Filming Brutal Beating In Baltimore Fast Food Joint

The employee, identified as Vernon Hackett on social network accounts, posted the video clip to his YouTube page earlier this week. According to his Facebook page, the 22-year-old Hackett, pictured at right, has worked for McDonald's since September 2009.

The April 18 assault, seen below, took place at a McDonald’s location on Kenwood Avenue in Rosedale, Maryland, a Baltimore suburb. According to the Baltimore County Police Department, a 14-year-old girl has been charged as a juvenile in connection with the assault, while charges are pending against an 18-year-old woman. “The incident remains under investigation and the State’s Attorney’s Office is reviewing the case,” added investigators.

Police have identified the assault victim as a 22-year-old woman "who appeared to be having a seizure" when officers arrived at the McDonald's at around 8 PM.
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/buster/mcdonalds/mcdonalds-employee-filmed-brutal-beating-640128?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Police are saying the victim is a 22 year old WOMAN:

Police said the victim was a 22-year-old woman who suffered cuts to her mouth and face, and a police report said she was in "fair" condition.

According to a police report, one of the suspects said that the fight was "with a woman over using a bathroom."

State's Attorney Scott D. Shellenberger said the racial dynamics of the incident – the attackers are black, and the victim is white – could result in hate crime charges.
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bs-md-ci-viral-video-mcdonalds-20110422,0,4613709.story
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Livewire713 » Fri 22 Apr 2011, 18:50:39

So whats with the story about a man in the womans restroom, maybe it was a weak attempt of a cya (cover your ass)? Even if a man is dressed as a woman and is in the womans restroom, it doesnt give you the right to attack someone, call the police in that case. Hell, they have people calling the police when they get the wrong order. This guy with the camera and the manager should be charged too, I think you should have some responsibility for the safety of your customers in your store. They let those girls beat that woman.
Livewire713
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby eXpat » Fri 22 Apr 2011, 22:47:14

ROSEDALE, Md. (WJZ)— A woman is badly beaten inside a local McDonald’s during the dinner rush with employees and customers looking on.

Weijia Jiang has more on the investigation and the video that’s bringing outrage.

A cell phone video of a vicious beating at a Rosedale McDonald’s quickly went viral, getting half a million hits on one website alone. In it, two young women stomp and punch a victim right inside the restaurant—for several minutes.
The police report reveals the victim told police she did not know her attackers.

It also says when he caught up with the suspects, they admitted to getting in a fight with a woman over using the bathroom.

“Where’s the managers? Where’s everyone at?” Bell said.

That is what many customers are demanding to know.

One media outlet—The Smoking Gun—identifies the person shooting the video as an on-duty employee.

“No one did nothing. They left her in the corner when she was flipping out,” said Ian Mcbryant, of Rosedale.

“They should get fired,” said Sebastian Johnson, of Rosedale. “That’s setting a bad example. That’s making the whole McDonald’s company look bad.”
At one point an older woman steps in to try and stop the two attackers, but to no avail. After being dragged across the restaurant, the victim begins bleeding from the mouth and having a seizure, causing spectators to warn the attackers to run before the cops arrive.

“She’s bleeding, yo. Her mouth bleeding, her mouth bleeding! She’s having a [expletive] seizure, yo! She’s having a seizure right now, she needs help right now! Ya’al better get the [expletive] out of here now!” the cameraman is heard saying.

Finally, the two suspects stop the assault and leave the restaurant.

Both suspects were later identified.

A 14-year-old female has been charged as a juvenile. Charges are pending against an 18-year-old female. The incident remains under investigation and the State’s Attorney’s Office is reviewing the case.

The victim was transported to Franklin Square Hospital for treatment. No additional information about the victim’s condition is available at this time.
McDonald’s posted a statement on its national website that says “This incident is unacceptable, disturbing and troubling. Nothing is more important to us than the safety of customers and employees in our restaurants. We are working with the franchisee and the local authorities to investigate this matter.”

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2011/04/22/video-shows-woman-being-beaten-at-baltimore-co-mcdonalds/
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
George Bernard Shaw

You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.” Ayn Rand
eXpat
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Fishman » Fri 22 Apr 2011, 23:05:18

So all those folks just hired by McDonalds will have very short careers. White people will be afraid to go into McDonalds now, all the employee's do is FILM you getting beat up. So would pepper spray have helped in this situation? Would you be charged with a race crime if you helped defend this lady from her attackers?
Glad my state is considering the castle doctrine at least.
Obama, the FUBAR presidency gets scraped off the boot
Fishman
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Fri 22 Apr 2011, 23:24:37

Fishman wrote:So all those folks just hired by McDonalds will have very short careers. White people will be afraid to go into McDonalds now, all the employee's do is FILM you getting beat up. So would pepper spray have helped in this situation? Would you be charged with a race crime if you helped defend this lady from her attackers?

You know what I'm having second thoughts as to why I posted this. My angle is breakdown of American society in general, just as far as people behaving decently in public.. but why did Drudgereport push this so hard today? Looks like race baiting to me.

What we ought to do is ignore the racial component here. Unless somebody can point to a statistic that shows black on white crime has been rising. I don't think that's the case, last I've read about it crime has been going down every year (even in spite of the recession / depression).

If black on white crime is on the rise, then the race component is a legitimate issue to discuss. About a week ago in Florida two British tourists were ambushed and shot twenty times in the back in a gang initiation. No robbery, cash was left in their wallets. So I don't know what's going on.. I think the statistics say overall crime is going down, but the individual incidents that make the news seem to be getting worse.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Fri 22 Apr 2011, 23:43:21

Don't the police usually advise people not to get involved in such incidents, but to wait for them to arrive?

The cops are paid a lot more than $8/hr. and are armed and trained and are less likely to be sued or prosecuted for whatever action they take.
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Fishman » Sat 23 Apr 2011, 07:38:59

Six, perception is reality for most folks. Two black assailants, black employee recording, white person tried to help. Gosh, in LA they burn city blocks down if it were the opposite. I noticed you didn't answer my questions.
An IF society breaks down, who will be committing crime on other? First it will be those that think they wan't be prosecuted, due to their "special " status.
KC you dodged the question also. If it were you being assaulted IN PUBLIC, or a family member, what do you do?
Obama, the FUBAR presidency gets scraped off the boot
Fishman
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Crazy_Dad » Sat 23 Apr 2011, 09:57:56

That was sickening.

I hope the shits responsible get time in the pen. I hope they are still there when the guards stop turning up for work due to peak oil. Bloody barbarians.
Crazy_Dad
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby cipi604 » Sat 23 Apr 2011, 10:11:36

Those BIG FAT WHALES are just 14 and 18 years old?! How can you be that fat and ugly at the age of 14?! What they put into the McD food there in USA?! Unbelievable.
cipi604
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Sat 23 Apr 2011, 10:24:12

Sixstrings wrote:I think the statistics say overall crime is going down, but the individual incidents that make the news seem to be getting worse.
They've done marketing studies on what attracts more viewers to news programs (which allows them to charge more for advertising). The answer is: crime and weather.

Sorry, but you seem to uncritically accept any info that comes your way. There is almost always bias or spin in the MSM (and even on the web 8O ), political , commercial or often unconscious cultural bias, or just plain ignorance.
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sat 23 Apr 2011, 10:45:22

Fishman wrote:I noticed you didn't answer my questions.

So would pepper spray have helped in this situation?

Strange, I thought the same thing. On duty managers ought to at least have pepper spray. Thing is though, I assume McDonalds policy is same as retail stores, they're not supposed to get involved other than call cops.

What happened here is a good example how that's really not kosher.. you can't have employees watch someone get beat near to death right in front of their eyes, yet do nothing because it's against company policy. Basic humanity has to start trumping corporate policiy.. if somebody is dying at your feet you need to do something.

Having said that, would any one of us have gotten involved? Not sure what I'd too, it's a tough situation.. do you insert yourself in the middle of somethin like that and take on an enraged woman beating a stranger to death?

I think.. I would HAVE to act if somebody were on the floor getting kicked in the head like that. But yeah this is all complicated.. the assailant is 14. If the whole thing weren't filmed and you stepped in, YOU could wind up in jail for being in a fight with a minor. Screwed up world we're in, rules are against anyone acting like a decent human being.

Two black assailants, black employee recording, white person tried to help. Gosh, in LA they burn city blocks down if it were the opposite.

The bright side to all this is that Drudge did push this story and make it national news. Even if he does have a race-baiting agenda, those girls deserve to be shamed and get the book thrown at them -- which will definitely happen now that the whole country knows about this. And with this in the national news the victim's settlement will be much larger now, and she definitely deserves it.

You know what, to be fair to Drudge.. he did push a story about a week ago about a white teenaged girl in Indiana who kidnapped a mentally handicapped boy and assaulted him. Maybe the issue here isn't race but wtf is going on with women and crime these days. Jesus.
Last edited by Sixstrings on Sat 23 Apr 2011, 11:26:09, edited 2 times in total.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sat 23 Apr 2011, 10:51:14

Keith_McClary wrote:They've done marketing studies on what attracts more viewers to news programs (which allows them to charge more for advertising). The answer is: crime and weather.

Drudgereport is different though, it's not the local news. Matt Drudge DECIDES what stories he wants to push. I've been reading Drudge long enough to know that by now. Usually half of what he does is interesting breaking news, then half is breaking news with an agenda.

Fair and balanced coverage of this should include statistics for black on white crime.. is it going up or not.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Next

Return to Economics & Finance