Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Silver surging, hits $45

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Silver surging, hits $45

Unread postby Sixstrings » Wed 20 Apr 2011, 12:44:37

From $44 to $45 in 13 hours. At this rate $46 in 6.5 hours. Thank you Chairsatan Benzebub.

http://www.zerohedge.com/article/and-45

Economic crisis solved, let's all just buy silver and the nation can hyperinflate itself to prosperity.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Re: Silver surging, hits $45

Unread postby Pops » Wed 20 Apr 2011, 12:55:57

I shake my head just like I did in '04 at the "value" of a 3br/2.5ba.

The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Pops » Wed 20 Apr 2011, 13:03:00

The short answer is: “Nohow. Money will not survive collapse; not yours, not anyone else's.” But that answer is not acceptable, because accepting it would require a profound loss of faith—faith in money, a profound Götterdämmerung for a civilization based on the worship of money.

http://cluborlov.blogspot.com/2011/04/f ... anism.html
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Rod_Cloutier » Wed 20 Apr 2011, 13:50:39

This is caused by the direct actions of the world wide silver liberation army. Millions of ordinary folks buying physical silver to destroy JP Morgan and other corrupt banks.

http://silverliberationarmy.com/

Join Max Keiser’s Silver Liberation Army Today!
Take back your wealth and protect your families future against inflation of unmeasurable proportions.
Find out what so few have learnt.
by Joining
You Are Taking Part in the Keiser’s
“MILLION OUNCE MARCH”
Which Will Stop the, Corrupt Banksters in Their Tracks!
Rod_Cloutier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby vision-master » Wed 20 Apr 2011, 14:05:35

So, I'm gonna be trading some sliver nuggets down @ Wally World? :lol:
vision-master

Unread postby Pops » Wed 20 Apr 2011, 14:36:29

I figured it out!

Cameron: The Skynet missile defense system goes online April 19, 2011. Declares war on mankind and triggers a nuclear apocalypse two days later.

Yea, I know it was supposed to be in '95 or something but that's how time travel affects things like Judgement Days and Peak Oil and stuff.

http://terminator.wikia.com/wiki/Judgment_Day
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby gollum » Wed 20 Apr 2011, 15:02:01

I see silver as a way to stockpile those things I either forgot or for some reason didn't, let me explain. I live in a location where storing say 1000 gallons of gasoline would be dangerous and impractical, however in 1914 the average cost per gallon was a dime. Today one silver dime is is worth around $3.20 which just happens to buy a gallon or so of gas, there for a roll of silver dimes is a safer way to store a decent supply of gas for say a month in modern society, or a year in a broken down society. The same rule goes for many other products, of course some things simply won't be available at any price but certainly no one is going to take dollars from a dying US government for their tangible items. I think in the short term though one has to look at dollars the way they would look at say fruit, use them in the functioning economy for every day transactions with the understanding that the longer they stay on the counter, the more rotten they will become. I'm not advocating holding silver until one has basic supplies for a year, but once that's covered if your belief system is that we are in a collapse I sure wouldn't hold stocks, bonds, bank accounts, or paper dollars.
gollum
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby vision-master » Wed 20 Apr 2011, 15:07:16

Lot's of toilet paper maybe? :roll:
vision-master

Unread postby Lore » Wed 20 Apr 2011, 15:12:39

You’re not adjusting your dimes for inflation. Precious metals are merely a fear asset. A place to park your money when you don’t know where else to put it to hedge against inflation. If things really got bad, you’d be far better off to invest in bricks of 22LR. Which I still have some from back in the early 70s that cost $6 and are now worth $20, but priceless if you have none and need them.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby vision-master » Wed 20 Apr 2011, 15:16:06

ya think a gas station is gonna want to trade some fuel for some shinny silver thingys?
vision-master

Unread postby gollum » Wed 20 Apr 2011, 15:22:53

Lore wrote:You’re not adjusting your dimes for inflation. Precious metals are merely a fear asset. A place to park your money when you don’t know where else to put it to hedge against inflation. If things really got bad, you’d be far better off to invest in bricks of 22LR. Which I still have some from back in the early 70s that cost $6 and are now worth $20, but priceless if you have none and need them.

Absolutley agreed but I'm out of shelf space for 22 ammo, also silver is somewhat easier to turn back in to cash just by using ebay.
gollum
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby gollum » Wed 20 Apr 2011, 15:26:12

vision-master wrote:ya think a gas station is gonna want to trade some fuel for some shinny silver thingys?

I think at some point it's a good possibility sellers of all goods will be more eager to get silver money than they are to get paper money, besides even if the dollar in it's present form is accepted I just sell them on eBay as needed then use my paypal card to fill up the car.
gollum
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby mtn_chief » Wed 20 Apr 2011, 15:53:44

Ever notice in period pictures or movies in older time lines how small the money pouch was? Now you need a three ring binder to carry your worth on paper. my 70's kugerands did much better than those .22 shells. Paper money is a trust issue like any good relationship. Reason its all going south is World is learning what native americans have known for couple centuries..... Do not trust the US govt

welcome to the rez
mtn_chief
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Lore » Wed 20 Apr 2011, 16:45:06

mtn_chief wrote:Ever notice in period pictures or movies in older time lines how small the money pouch was? Now you need a three ring binder to carry your worth on paper. my 70's kugerands did much better than those .22 shells. Paper money is a trust issue like any good relationship. Reason its all going south is World is learning what native americans have known for couple centuries..... Do not trust the US govt

welcome to the rez

Precious metals are also a trust issue, because they are only worth what currency they can be converted into. Otherwise it is just worth what someone will give you for it.

Since gold has very little useful value in itself, its value to own it declines with its comparative cash value.

The native American Indians of the Black Hills in SD always knew that gold existed there, but never held it in any high value since they could never find anything that it was usefully good for.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby thuja » Wed 20 Apr 2011, 17:14:09

lore my piddly 5000 dollar investment in silver a few years ago is now worth 30000. I could buy solar panels, guns, bullets and a ton of stored food for that. Silver has been very good to me.
No Soup for You!!
thuja
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby truecougarblue » Wed 20 Apr 2011, 18:02:50

I'm with Thuja on this one. Just wait and see what happens when they announce QE3.
Cougar

"Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without." - Brigham Young
truecougarblue
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Pops » Wed 20 Apr 2011, 18:42:48

Hey, don't get me wrong, I don't have any skin in the game, I hope you guys make out like bandits. I said to sell out before now so what do I know?

Actually, I know you've already made out like bandits, except you aren't out of the bank. The problem is, the real bandits run the bank and will decide when the door closes.

People were feeling exactly like you when they owned:
dot.anything in 1999
Condos in '05
Oil in Q2 '08

I know, this time is different.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Lore » Wed 20 Apr 2011, 19:01:02

thuja wrote:lore my piddly 5000 dollar investment in silver a few years ago is now worth 30000. I could buy solar panels, guns, bullets and a ton of stored food for that. Silver has been very good to me.

Yeah,... I bet your 401K felt the same way a few years back. You’re still operating within the system. Economic collapse will not be so kind to most everything we thought was of intrinsic value.

I personally own mining stocks, which is the safest place to bet on rare metals because you can get in and out and covert on the run.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby mtn_chief » Wed 20 Apr 2011, 19:17:57

yes the Lakota and Dakota knew the gold was there.. But water sports are no fun in North Dakota anytime of year.
Silver is in almost any electrical device you own.
they cannot print a miilion NEW ingots in a heart beat I trust That Fact
mtn_chief
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Lore » Wed 20 Apr 2011, 19:27:35

mtn_chief wrote:yes the Lakota and Dakota knew the gold was there.. But water sports are no fun in North Dakota anytime of year.
Silver is in almost any electrical device you own.
they cannot print a miilion NEW ingots in a heart beat I trust That Fact

You have to be able to generate electricity to appreciate it. Although German silver, at one time, made great inlays to weapons.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Next

Return to Economics & Finance