Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Will QE2 run out of money in May?

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Will QE2 run out of money in May?

Unread postby bratticus » Thu 21 Apr 2011, 08:50:25

Initially when I went searching for the date that QE2 will end on I found multiple indications that it would be on June 30, 2011.

Recently I read that
Charlie Parker: Forty days until the easy money runs out
by Charlie Parker on Apr 20, 2011

Economic consultancy GaveKal estimates that with some $500 billion of its possible $600 billion of quantitative easing already deployed the Federal Reserve has somewhere between 20 and 40 market days left which it can buoy with liquidity interventions.

That would make QE2 run out in May instead of June. Much more convenient and quick, sort of like microwave doom, I don't have to wait so long for the economy to crash.

But there's been a second round of easing. $195 billion in reserves "drawn down".

Factbox: Treasury's tools to delay hitting debt limit
Reporting by David Lawder, Rachelle Younglai; Editing by Kieran Murray / Reuters / Apr 20, 2011

The Treasury has already drawn down a $200 billion Federal Reserve emergency lending account to $5 billion to free up borrowing capacity.

So where did the money go?

Concerns Emerge as a Fed Rate Falls
By JON HILSENRATH And MARK GONGLOFF / WSJ / Apr 7, 2011

The U.S. Treasury has drawn down $200 billion in deposits it had been holding with the Fed, adding to the money in the banking system.

Just like QE2.
bratticus
Permanently Banned

Re: Will QE2 run out of money in May?

Unread postby FloridaGirl » Sat 23 Apr 2011, 02:41:15

Part of it is QE Lite which they started before QE II. QE Lite takes the drop in value of their mortgages securities and buys treasuries with it. The change in mortgage securities between now and when QEII started is over $100 billion.
FloridaGirl
Peat
Peat

Re: Will QE2 run out of money in May?

Unread postby bratticus » Tue 03 May 2011, 08:38:37

Plus Japan.

Bank of Japan injects $245 bln into markets
By Chris Oliver / MarketWatch / Mar 15, 2011

HONG KONG (MarketWatch) -- Japan's central bank injected 20 trillion yen ($245 billion) into the money markets Tuesday in an effort to help calm financial markets, according to reports. The move was designed to ensure that banks have enough liquidity to meet a surge in demand from companies and households seeking to raise funds. The same-day funds injection came as Japan's unfolding nuclear crisis deepened on Tuesday, with an explosion at reactor No. 2 and as the danger spread to reactor No. 4 at the stricken Fukushima nuclear plant. Elevated radiation levels were reported in Tokyo as southerly winds carried the radioactive plume from Japan's eastern coast towards urban areas.
bratticus
Permanently Banned

Return to Economics & Finance