Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Unending War

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Unending War

Unread postby Pops » Thu 21 Apr 2011, 16:13:21

Only 2 national warning levels now...

Elevated Threat
Imminent Threat

http://www.emergencyemail.org/newsemerg ... =1037&z=29
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Re: Unending War

Unread postby dinopello » Thu 21 Apr 2011, 16:30:22

Pops wrote:Only 2 national warning levels now...

Elevated Threat
Imminent Threat

http://www.emergencyemail.org/newsemerg ... =1037&z=29

So, with no current alerts active we are all safe and sound :)

I also like how the alerts if/when issued will carry an experation date and are tied to a specific threat

Q7 - How will NTAS Alerts be cancelled or updated?
A – The NTAS Alerts carry an expiration date and will be automatically cancelled on that date. If the threat information changes for an alert, the Secretary of Homeland Security may announce an updated NTAS Alert. All changes, including the announcement that cancels an NTAS Alert, will be distributed the same way as the original alert.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby AdTheNad » Thu 21 Apr 2011, 16:41:15

War is a racket.
http://www.ratical.org/ratville/CAH/warisaracket.html
See also "confessions of an economic hitman" for more of the delights carried out in the name of those whose lifestyle is non negotiable.
AdTheNad
Coal
Coal

Unread postby AgentR11 » Thu 21 Apr 2011, 21:20:36

Didn't the 1984 guys always need a war running somewhere, as well as some nebulous fear of official censure. Kept the party rolling for those in power all the way down to the end.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Lore » Thu 21 Apr 2011, 21:31:19

They could have added SHTF Threat?
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 22 Apr 2011, 07:42:43

AgentR11 wrote:Didn't the 1984 guys always need a war running somewhere, as well as some nebulous fear of official censure. Kept the party rolling for those in power all the way down to the end.

Yup. Fearmongering and propoganda.
When going through hell, keep going! Churchill
Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much. E Wiman
I know there’s no solution, so I just enjoy what’s here and I enjoy the journey G Carlin
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby dinopello » Fri 22 Apr 2011, 08:15:18

The original post had to do with the replacement of the 5-level terror alert system with this 2 level system. What does that have to do with endless war ? Is the new system better, worse or the same as the old system ? Or do you believe we shouldn;t have any system where the public is alerted ?

Under the old system there were 5 levels

Severe (Red)
High (Orange)
Elevated (Yellow)
Guarded (Blue)
Low (Green)

Under that system, the alert level never dropped below "Elevated" (Yellow). I thought that was ridiculous.

Under this new system, there is no alert by default (the current condition). The two levels of the new system are analogous to the Tornado Warning System. A watch means that conditions are right for Hurricanes and a warning mean that one is imminent (or has been spotted).

Personally, I don't think we need gradiated alert systems (Tornado, Hurricane Warning, Hurricane Watch etc) . Just tell me where the Hurrican is and let me decide how scared I should be but the new system is a whole lot better than the other system that was never reduced to no alert.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 22 Apr 2011, 17:01:29

Dino,

I think you answer your own question. We don't need any system at all, it serves no useful purpose. NO threat will cover the entire US. It is only a means by which to jack up the heard, to maintain control by introducing a common enemy. BS.
When going through hell, keep going! Churchill
Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much. E Wiman
I know there’s no solution, so I just enjoy what’s here and I enjoy the journey G Carlin
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to Open Topic Discussion