Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Book: 'Fire on the Horizon' by John Konrad

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

Book: 'Fire on the Horizon' by John Konrad

Unread postby Revi » Thu 12 May 2011, 11:14:39

I am reading the book, Fire on the Horizon about the oil rig disaster. It is written by a sea captain and doesn't get into the politics, but just tells the story of the rig and the people on it. So far it's a really good read, and you get to see the risks and the people that make the oil flow. Anyone else read it?

Here's an interview with the author: http://gcaptain.com/author-interview-fire-horizon?24511
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: Fire on the Horizon

Unread postby Revi » Fri 13 May 2011, 09:06:28

If you read this book, skip the middle chapters. He goes into way too much detail about a lot of things that you can pick up in the last chapters anyway. Read the first 3 chapters, then skip some and start again at negative test and read from there. Otherwise it's a great read.

I'm just at the point where the well casing has failed and gas is beginning to fill the rig. It is going to explode of course. I don't think I'm wrecking the story, because we all know how it ends.

Publishers Weekly thought that the book should have had a point or a slant, but I like books that just tell the facts. I think if you read between the lines you will begin to realize how dangerous and costly this whole business is at this point. We are really in over our heads. Literally.
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Return to Book/Media Reviews