Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Government Lifeguards Earn $100-200k

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Government Lifeguards Earn $100-200k

Unread postby mattduke » Mon 16 May 2011, 19:10:39

I'm sorry, "marine safety officers." Oh well, let the children pay our debts. Actually, ocean swimming is dangerous and should be outlawed.

http://articles.ocregister.com/2011-05- ... port-beach
mattduke
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Government Lifeguards Earn $100-200k

Unread postby Pretorian » Mon 16 May 2011, 21:21:49

must be nice..Any openings in Maui?
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dinopello » Mon 16 May 2011, 21:39:01

Apparently there are lots of lifeguard jobs available in the US Gov.

The ones near me look like they pay up to $15/hr. Less than a babysitter.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Mon 16 May 2011, 22:22:00

the practice of paying permanent, full-time lifeguards $100,000 to $200,000 – and allowing them to retire with 90 percent of their salary after working 30 years..

(snip)

He added that Newport's lifeguard salaries "are well within the norm of other city employees."

8O

Wow, I always thought Baywatch was pure fiction. What's the deal.. Californians can't swim? Are more rescues needed because of surfing?
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Novus » Tue 17 May 2011, 00:32:42

Yeah this is government waste but it is a non issue.

Problem is people can't wrap their minds around the real debt. War cost is 3 trillion dollars or spelled out that $3,000,000,000,000+ with most of the money pocketed by the military industrial complex. The banker bailout and ongoing quantitative easing is $2.5 trillion. People don't understand where the money is really going and how they are being robbed. They distract you with non sense about over paid life guards or over paid teachers but it is peanuts compared to real government excess of endless war and banker bailouts.
Novus
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Roy » Tue 17 May 2011, 07:31:18

hey distract you with non sense about over paid life guards or over paid teachers but it is peanuts compared to real government excess of endless war and banker bailouts.

This. The right loves to blame the 'welfare queens' and the left loves to blame 'the rich'. They're both correct, at least a little bit. However...

Notice whenever politicians are on TV (particularly MSM approved presidential candidates), and are discussing potential budget cuts, defense is almost never mentioned, by Democrats or Republicans. Instead they talk about medicare and social security.

DOD is the elephant in the room that no one will talk about. My contention is that if we weren't fighting 3 wars and trying to police the world, we'd have more money to re-invest in infrastructure in this country, which informed observers understand is basically crumbling from neglect.

Waste is endemic in the fed and state govs. I was looking at a job listing for the VA in my field about two months ago. You wouldn't believe the salaries and benefits that they offer compared to a private company for a similar level of responsibility and skills.
A nations military should only be used in a nations self defense, not to entertain liberal cravings for shaping poor nations into images of themselves by force. -- Eastbay

Shooting the messenger is typical when you are incapable of arguing against them. -- Airline Pilot
Roy
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Mesuge » Tue 17 May 2011, 07:58:46

Novus wrote:Problem is people can't wrap their minds around the real debt. War cost is 3 trillion dollars or spelled out that $3,000,000,000,000+ with most of the money pocketed by the military industrial complex.

However, there is another big facet rarely discussed in this situation, in particular, the industrial-mil complex and now those added many "anti terror" agencies are employing large armada of US adults. Should the empire crumble, the unemployment rate would skyrocket significantly for this reason only. And believe me they will not cut into this chase now or in the mid term, they can screw plenty of teachers and other gov. employees before invoking this last option. To simplify it, think about getting a lot more of CCCP living style, crappy civilian infrustructure, falling quality/availability of consumer goods, all to be put on the altar of dying superpower before it goes poof.

The historic precedents on that one are pretty plentifull, moreover, it adds fuel into the collapse stage II as well.
Mesuge
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Return to Open Topic Discussion