Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Romney Supports Action on Climate Change

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Romney Supports Action on Climate Change

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Sat 04 Jun 2011, 16:49:27

Republican Romney: "the world is getting warmer"
Presidential hopeful Mitt Romney broke with Republican orthodoxy on Friday by saying he believes that humans are responsible, at least to some extent, for climate change.

"It's important for us to reduce our emissions of pollutants and greenhouse gases that may be significant contributors."

link

At least one of them has taken the blinders off.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: Romney Supports Action on Climate Change

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sat 04 Jun 2011, 17:22:31

Cid_Yama wrote:Republican Romney: "the world is getting warmer"
Presidential hopeful Mitt Romney broke with Republican orthodoxy on Friday by saying he believes that humans are responsible, at least to some extent, for climate change.

"It's important for us to reduce our emissions of pollutants and greenhouse gases that may be significant contributors."

link

At least one of them has taken the blinders off.

This wasn't intentional strategy he MUST have misspoke.. no pro-mitigation Republican can get nominated. That's just how it is. Look for him to walk this back and do some fast talking, just like with his healthcare views.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Cog » Sat 04 Jun 2011, 17:31:38

Which Romney are we referring to?
http://politicalcorrection.org/factcheck/201104260011

ROMNEY: Well, you get the prices down by convincing people who are investing in gasoline futures, so to speak, the speculators -- you let them understand that America is going to be producing enough energy for our needs. And that means we're going to start drilling for oil. We're going to use our natural gas resources, which are now extraordinarily plentiful, given new technology. We're going to use our coal resources. Of course, we're going to pursue all the renewables, but you have to have oil and gas to power America's economy. [Fox News, 4/26/11, via Nexis, emphasis added]
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sat 04 Jun 2011, 17:51:00

Cog wrote:Which Romney are we referring to?

Yeah he's a slippery fish. The funny thing is it looks like Romney will wind up with the nomination by default. Quite a stroke of luck there.. think about it, number one he's Mormon -- that right there spooks evangelicals. Now add in his MA record.. heck, his health care plan was the blueprint for Obamacare.

And on top of being a Mormon and his Romneycare record, now he's a liberal on climate change too?

Tell you what, let's take some bets on how long it takes before an article comes out with Romney backtracking his climate change talk. I'm sure the Koch brothers are on the phone as we speak..

(and here's a thought.. as right wing as Obama has turned out to be, maybe liberals should triangulate and think about the possibility that Romney may be to the left of Obama.. it's possible, Nixon was actually rather progressive.. if Romney is a liberal at heart, history suggests that's the direction he'd drift after winning election)
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Sat 04 Jun 2011, 18:04:01

I guess it's the more recent Romney, since he said it just yesterday.

I don't get this, "all Republican candidates must be stupid and blind" litmus test.

I'm sure Romney has more trouble lying than admitting what is obvious to everyone else.

Even Gingrich tried, till they beat him to a pulp for suggesting that Medicare was a good program and should not be eliminated.

I'm not complaining. If you folks believe you can win by trying to destroy eveything the American people hold dear, blatantly and above board. I say go for it.

I would rather have you being totally honest about your plans to dump old people on their children and expect them to take care of them --- without Medicare or Social Security ---, than lying about it and doing it anyway after you once again take power.

The people have a right to know.

See the movie Make Way for Tommorow (1937) with Victor Moore and Beulah Bondi and see if you can stomach your position.

Movie - Make Way for Tomorrow
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sat 04 Jun 2011, 18:11:27

Cid_Yama wrote:I guess it's the more recent Romney, since he said it just yesterday.

I don't get this, "all Republican candidates must be stupid and blind" litmus test.

I'm sure Romney has more trouble lying than admitting what is obvious to everyone else.

Even Gingrich tried, till they beat him to a pulp for suggesting that Medicare was a good program and should not be eliminated.

This is just a polarized election cycle.. Republican primary voters are in no mood for a left-leaning Republican.

Since personally I'm left-leaning, if someone could promise me Romney would drift left after snookering the Repub primary voters then I'd vote for him. What's more likely is that this whole campaign, and if elected his presidency, would be a bunch of vacillation -- he'll constantly get taken to the woodshed by the right wing and he'll give in and then look like a fool. Obama gets torn up by his left base but he never gives in to them -- there's a shred of integrity there at least. Whereas Romney looks weak and like an idiot every time he walks back something he used to strongly believe in.

Look at what he says trying to get away from his healthcare record. It's embarrassing to watch.. the man has no integrity. Right or Left, above all an executive has to make up his mind and stick with it (at least for a while).
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby dorlomin » Sat 04 Jun 2011, 19:43:53

Sixstrings wrote:Yeah he's a slippery fish. The funny thing is it looks like Romney will wind up with the nomination by default. Quite a stroke of luck there.
Thats not luck.
dorlomin
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby quadzillajim » Mon 06 Jun 2011, 09:12:42

Has he endorsed Paul Ryans budget plan yet?
Necessity is the mother of invention... but there will be blood.
quadzillajim
Wood
Wood

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Mon 06 Jun 2011, 11:54:46

Romneycare in Mass. has mandates, like Obama's health care reform which has the states talking about Civil War Redux.

And even Ryans voucher program contains an individual mandate since the coupon goes to the insurance company, not cash to you. You'd have to purchase insurance to get the benefit.
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Fri 10 Jun 2011, 02:38:04

Well just like I thought, Republicans aren't happy about Romney's climate change views:

Romney in hot water for belief that climate change is real; at odds with GOP

WASHINGTON — Polls suggest Mitt Romney is the one Republican presidential hopeful who stands a real chance of beating Barack Obama in 2012, but conservatives are blazing a new warpath against the former Massachusetts governor _ this time for his belief that climate change is real.

"Bye-bye, nomination," radio host Rush Limbaugh, a guiding light for many hard-core conservatives in the United States, said this week after the former Massachussetts governor stated publicly that the planet is getting warmer.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5hb4mhYVvPkoj6MeZ2kNdZ9ciI04Q?docId=7103793
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Lore » Fri 10 Jun 2011, 08:26:39

I didn’t know Rush Limbaugh spoke for the party.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Pops » Fri 10 Jun 2011, 09:24:43

Lore wrote:I didn’t know Rush Limbaugh spoke for the party.

Not only speaks for but writes most of the talking points.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Lore » Fri 10 Jun 2011, 09:52:32

Pops wrote:
Lore wrote:I didn’t know Rush Limbaugh spoke for the party.

Not only speaks for but writes most of the talking points.

Not much of a party then, is it?
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Fri 10 Jun 2011, 11:15:52

Romney is a Republican Kennedy. Obama is the outsider who doesn't understand Amerrica? Romney's wealth and religion created his "40 year old virgin" personality. Born into royalty, he destroyed thousands of jobs and left a string of bankrupt companies without ever suffering personally. He says sometimes he failed, but planned failure and golden parachutes is his way of life. He is a loot and pillage anarchocapiltalist of the type that has ruined this country, and Americans are merely the dirt he walks on.

He skipped Vietnam by doing missionary work in france.
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Return to North America Discussion