Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Has anyone ever looked into being a Freight Broker?

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Has anyone ever looked into being a Freight Broker?

Unread postby Carlhole » Wed 08 Jun 2011, 09:18:15

http://scamreviewz.com/online-freight-b ... ining-scam

Lots of training programs on the web for this kind of work - which is sometimes indicative of a business that sounds good but is actually very difficult (like Medical Billing or something). I gather you work your ass off trying to find a shipper with whom you can build a relationship... and then, nowadays, there are 7 trucks for every load. So the truckers can squeeze whatever profit you're trying to make. Frequently, the truck blows you off because it found a better paying load, then your shipper customer loses trust in your word.

High fuel costs also squeeze the margins.

I thought the above link was kind of strange, since a reader might expect to be alerted to a scam. But the link is actually a training program whose owner wants to let you know that his program has consistently passed the Scam Review process (if such a thing really exists). But there are a ton of other training links.
Carlhole

Re: Has anyone ever looked into being a Freight Broker?

Unread postby vision-master » Wed 08 Jun 2011, 09:30:19

I know a Freight Broker who has worked 25 years for Jennie-o foods. Every year since the crash he makes less and less money. Young ppl don't want OTR trucking jobs. Once the old farts leave, he's done. He's on call 24/7 and sometimes he has to run a load from Cali.
vision-master

Unread postby Carlhole » Wed 08 Jun 2011, 09:38:27

vision-master wrote:I know a Freight Broker who has worked 25 years for Jennie-o foods. Every year since the crash he makes less and less money. Young ppl don't want OTR trucking jobs. Once the old farts leave, he's done. He's on call 24/7 and sometimes he has to run a load from Cali.

Seems like a bitch of a career. One of my old high school girlfriends does it though, and she says she has tons of work.

Then again, there is no easy way to make money. I'm pretty good at phone sales and getting in the door. Did a lot of that. But I'd be a total babe-in-the-woods in the trucking industry. and, apparently, there's a lot of crooks, deadbeats, and assorted sharpsters in the biz.

Anyone have or know of a decent home-based business that requires good writing and sales skills? Looking for something practical; not looking to get rich or anything; would be happy with $1,000/mo extra.
Carlhole

Unread postby vision-master » Wed 08 Jun 2011, 09:41:16

Well, if I had to do it all over, I'd shoot for being a sales rep.

Think E-cat. Start contacting NOW!
vision-master

Unread postby Carlhole » Wed 08 Jun 2011, 10:21:16

vision-master wrote:Well, if I had to do it all over, I'd shoot for being a sales rep.

Think E-cat. Start contacting NOW!

Rossi says that the first use will be MW facilities; home systems to follow in a year or two because of regulatory hoops to jump through. If it turned out to be totally practical and feasible, I can't see a politician choosing to ignore it in the upcoming race.

But it doesn't offer any money-making opportunities for ME, right NOW. So I was looking for actual practical ideas.
Carlhole

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Fri 10 Jun 2011, 00:02:09

Yep I have looked into it quite a lot, because of my multinational status.
There is definitely a lot of $ to be made if you are in the right trade lane.

The big issues are:

Minimum 20ft container full to get commercial rates for shipping (if starting out always tell the shipper this is a proto trip, to make sure they don't give you a one off rate).

You need to have something to fill up the container which can be easily on-sold if you get a half full container at your cut off date, else you will be sending half containers.

You need to set a maximum limit on departure date, people will not freight with you if you can't tell them when the freight will leave port.

The shorter time between departure dates, the more popular your service will become, people don't want to wait months and months.

There needs to be a substantial economic disparity between forwarding and receiving ports, else there won't be any real profit to be made. Gift forwarding is marginal at best.

Carlhole, if you PM me I will give you an idea on this which I have found works, to fill the extra space at a profit. :)
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Fri 10 Jun 2011, 01:01:56

I know someone who is a shipping agent dealing with all the ships, trucks, air, customs, lading, all that stuff. It probably helps a lot to be bilingual.
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Return to Open Topic Discussion