Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Dr. Steven E. Jones' circuit gives evidence for 8x overunity

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Dr. Steven E. Jones' circuit gives evidence for 8x overunity

Unread postby Carlhole » Mon 13 Jun 2011, 20:06:21

PESN

Retired Physics Professor, Steven E. Jones is working on a simple overunity circuit that he has seen go as high as 20 times overunity; documented on a state-of-the-art Tektronix 3032 oscilloscope at Brigham Young University producing eight times as much energy as was required to run the solid state circuit. One of his friends, Les Kraut, has replicated the circuit and also achieved eight times overunity.

As a second and more simple test, Steve let the circuit run overnight, powering an LED bulb; and nine hours later, the input battery was still at the same measured voltage as it has been at the beginning, it used so little power. Normally that would drain the AA battery quite a bit.

It's just a small amount of power we're talking about - in the hundreds of milliwatts range (just under a Watt), but it's a start.

What is significant about this is 1) the credibility and reputation of Dr. Jones, being something that academic types won't be able to ignore; 2) the rigor of the testing, given the measurement equipment he has access to; 3) the simplicity of the circuit, which is actually open source; 4) the low cost of the circuit components, making it easy to be replicated.

"I don't know where the energy is coming from, but it's coming from somewhere," he said.

The circuit is a derivation of the "Joule Thief" circuit or a "blocking oscillator". His variation has an LC-circuit feeding into the base of the transistor (which is unusual) which regulates the resonant frequency of the device. He calls this circuit a "boost resonator" because it resonates at a certain frequency, and since the evidence shows that it somehow boosts the input power. "I also found a way to 'tune' the efficiency, n, and to reduce the net input power to nearly zero."

It's a small world, isn't it?

It's going to be an open source project with diagrams, plans and kits available on a PESwiki page coming soon to a web page near you!

Check out the video.
Carlhole

Re: Dr. Steven E. Jones' circuit gives evidence for 8x overu

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Mon 13 Jun 2011, 21:20:55

Let me guess... There is a hidden E-cat making all this extra energy?

Or have we now found perpetual motion? If so, that'll sure solve the peak oil problem!

Again - healthy skepticism here. Wonderful if this turns out to be true but I won't hold my breath waiting on commercially viable products based on this "extra energy from somewhere".
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Carlhole » Mon 13 Jun 2011, 22:13:49

Outcast_Searcher wrote:Let me guess... There is a hidden E-cat making all this extra energy?

Or have we now found perpetual motion? If so, that'll sure solve the peak oil problem!

Again - healthy skepticism here. Wonderful if this turns out to be true but I won't hold my breath waiting on commercially viable products based on this "extra energy from somewhere".

Come on.. all of this stuff going on is strange as crap to everyone, including me. But watch Jones' video of his careful measurements. The guy goes overboard to emphasize this point. He offers it as a proof-of-principle.

I think I was down with mono that day when they went over electronics.
Carlhole

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Mon 13 Jun 2011, 22:23:33

OK. I'll certainly cede your poin that something very strange is indeed going on.

BTW, IMO, with stuff like electronics, if you learn about it, say, in a college physics class for a week or so (as I did) and then NEVER actually use it in any serious way again -- as you age it's basically impossible to expect to be good at understanding it, unless you're some kind of high end genius.

As I recall, in one year of college physics, electronics seemed simple (as far as common sense) compared to optics and especially to relativity. We didn't even get to quantum mechanics, but every time I try to read and think hard about it my head threatens to explode. Somehow I think when we evolved with rules like -- "quick - climb that tree before that big cat or bear eats you!" and "get the hell away from me and my woman! - you don't look like me" leaves us COMPLETELY intellectually incapable of truly trying to understand things like what's REALLY going on as far as "deep reality". (Just one layman's opinion).
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby diemos » Mon 13 Jun 2011, 22:51:07

Neato!

There's a steady DC current from the battery, passing through Rb and charging up the capacitor. When the capacitor voltage reaches threshold for the transistor it turns on and fires the resonant circuit formed by the capacitor and inductor. During the ringing of the circuit the power loss from the battery is smaller than the power dissipated in the diode leg because most of the power is coming from what's been stored in the capacitor.
diemos
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Nefarious » Mon 13 Jun 2011, 22:54:58

In the comments below the article the poster Motor Guy pretty much debunks this. Seems the professor doesn't know how to take proper measurements.

Sorry no perpetual motion machines today.

Motor Guy wrote:Last night I put together a replication using an EZ Circuit board. A picture of it is here: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/17 ... ezckt.jpg/

I followed my construction recommendations from earlier posts to minimize stray inductance, and I added decoupling to the collector of the transistor. I powered the circuit from an Agilent regulated supply 4 feet away set to 2.50V. Because of the decoupling I was able to confirm virtually no HF current in the power supply leads going back to the supply. I monitored supply current with a National Instruments 0.01 Ohm current sense resistor, which matched the reading on the Agilent supply. The circuit performs consistently with analysis and simulation. There is less than 10% amplitude 14MHz ringing on top of the basic 2MHz quasi-rectangular and very stable waveform. The ringing could be further reduced by using a circuit board with a ground plane instead of the EZ Circuit prototyping board and/or by adding a series base resistor. RR was left a short, and I did not install either CSR1 or CSR2 in order to minimize stray inductance. I used two mica capacitors in parallel for CB. The pair measure out as 142pF on a capacitance meter. I used a 2K resistor for RB. The transistor was a 2N2222A. I hand wound the choke using 38T bifilar 30AWG on a Magnetics Inc. 58056-A2 high flux core. The LO low-side connection was right at the V+ to V- 0.1uF decoupling capacitor, immediately adjacent to the collector of Q.

The circuit draws 40mA with a 5.1K RO resistor, and 80mA with 0 Ohms. Output power was a small fraction of input power: 25% for the 0 Ohm case.

Here is a link to the emitter waveform with RO set to 0 Ohms: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/3/jones2.png/ In that capture, 0V is one major division above the screen center. The peak positive voltage is 2.0V, and the peak negative voltage is -3.8V.

Classical analysis, circuit simulation, and experiment all agree for my set-up. They are consistent with the results exnihiloest reports. They do not show anything new or unusual. This further confirms that Dr. Jones' anomalies are the result of the poor construction and measurement techniques used in his experiments. If Dr. Jones cleans-up his set-up as recommended he should obtain similar results.
Monday, May 30, 2011, 9:03:59 AM
'By the pricking of my thumbs,Something Wicked This Way Comes."
Nefarious
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Carlhole » Mon 13 Jun 2011, 23:06:43

Yeah I read all those comments too. That's why I posted the link - so everyone else could as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axBuLvzyClk
Here's a European guy replicated it and put it on YouTube. Other people seem to be doing it too.

It's all open source, so we shall soon see what people think.
Carlhole

Unread postby Nefarious » Mon 13 Jun 2011, 23:55:35

My thing is they never want to take the battery out. If your getting 8 times the energy out than you are putting in,take the battery out it should be self sustaining.
If the guy in the video takes out the battery and the light stays lit,Then I would be impressed! Until then I'm going to believe the guy messed up on his measurement taking.

Edit:spelling error
'By the pricking of my thumbs,Something Wicked This Way Comes."
Nefarious
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Carlhole » Tue 14 Jun 2011, 00:21:53

Nefarious wrote:My thing is they never want to take the battery out. If your getting 8 times the energy out than you are putting in,take the battery out it should be self sustaining.
If the guy in the video takes out the battery and the light stays lit,Then I would be impressed! Until then I'm going to believe the guy messed up on his measurement taking.

Edit:spelling error

I know. That occurred to me. Sterling Allen should have asked that obvious question. But Jones seem to think it has something to do with the resonance of the circuit. I'll be curious to see what people build and test.
Carlhole

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Tue 14 Jun 2011, 02:22:18

I wonder, how many more scams Carl is going to present on this forums in coming days?
Anytime soon we are going to revisit Tesla generators and plenty of gizmos from Alice in wonderland.

But then those evil elites conspiring to keep humanity energy poor (the same ones, who have blown WTC) will come and spoil a show. :lol:
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby cipi604 » Tue 14 Jun 2011, 04:09:10

There is no unity on this one. It changes amps into voltage.
cipi604
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby vision-master » Tue 14 Jun 2011, 07:04:12

EnergyUnlimited wrote:I wonder, how many more scams Carl is going to present on this forums in coming days?
Anytime soon we are going to revisit Tesla generators and plenty of gizmos from Alice in wonderland.

But then those evil elites conspiring to keep humanity energy poor (the same ones, who have blown WTC) will come and spoil a show. :lol:

Did you know those two jets that crashed into the twin towers were remotely controled.

Also, did you know Tesla had knowledge from ancient Egypt, same as Ed L.

And luv those shrooms from Alice in wonderland. :lol:
vision-master

Unread postby Carlhole » Tue 14 Jun 2011, 08:08:24

EnergyUnlimited wrote:I wonder, how many more scams Carl is going to present on this forums in coming days?

How can it be a scam? The circuit schematic is freely available.

If these news blurbs arise, I'll read them and post them. Maybe I'll make comments. What's the BFD? I'm not making them up.

Google "dr. jones circuit"

Articles like this get posted everywhere for anyone interested in energy. But here, I always get a lot of shit for doing the same thing.

Jones, a PhD Physicist with some 55 published papers, says he wants people to look at this circuit and replicate it or explain it. He's not demanding any money or anything. What the fuck is the big deal?
Carlhole

Unread postby Carlhole » Tue 14 Jun 2011, 08:48:45

Same guy from Sweden looking at the thing again

He's posted three YouTubes of his investigation of this circuit. He seems to find something odd.
Carlhole

Unread postby diemos » Tue 14 Jun 2011, 09:24:44

Carlhole wrote:How can it be a scam? The circuit schematic is freely available.

It's not a scam, he just made a mistake.

But he's an excellent scientist in that he gave every detail of what he had built and exactly what he was measuring so I only needed to watch part I of the video and think about the circuit diagram for a minute to see the mistake he had made.

A PhD does not immunize one against making mistakes. That's why we have peer review, so your peers can look at what you did and try to catch the mistakes.
diemos
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Cog » Tue 14 Jun 2011, 10:30:07

Doen't look like we will be violating the Laws of Thermodynamics anytime soon. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Cog » Tue 14 Jun 2011, 10:33:34

There are an infinite number of free energy scams out there so I would suspect that Carhole will not run out of things to post about. He is like OF2 in this way, trumpeting the certainty of endless growth in a resource constrained world.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Carlhole » Tue 14 Jun 2011, 11:30:43

Cog wrote:There are an infinite number of free energy scams out there so I would suspect that Carhole will not run out of things to post about. He is like OF2 in this way, trumpeting the certainty of endless growth in a resource constrained world.

Oh, fark you.

The first thing I did when I became aware of Dr. Jones' circuit was email my Dad, who has worked in energy all his life.

I am an engineer who was thoroughly exposed to the physics and thermodynamics that most engineers need to be exposed to. Sorry, but I agree with the following:-

Claims of Over Unity

Search on YouTube for Over Unity and you will find a plethora of people claiming to have invented some sort of free energy device, mostly in the form of a motor, which apparently generates more power than is used to drive it. Others claim to have invented some arrangement of permanent magnets whereby a flywheel will, by the arrangement of these magnets, move on their own for ever.

Anybody claiming to have invented a machine which creates energy, I'm afraid to say, is either trying to con you, or is deluded or confused. It is fair enough to have an open mind when i comes to the possibility of new Physics, but this is not new Physics. This is quite old Physics. Frankly, if they were to violate the laws of thermodynamics, then all of modern technology would be based on the wrong foundations. Since everything is still running smoothly, based on these laws, we can assume that these garage inventions are not what they seem.

Not only that, but why would they have created these machines in their garages, promoting it on YouTube? They would have papers in peer reviewed journals, and if their discoveries were true, there would be no shortage of Nobel Prizes. Please do not be drawn in by these claims, which seem to be growing in popularity.

But the story is interesting nonetheless since (1) Jones is a PhD physicist with 55 published papers in journals like Nature and so forth, (2) it's a simple circuit design, easily replicated by anyone for under $50, and (3) Jones specifically put out a call to anyone interested in this circuit to please investigate it for themselves and make sure to make careful measurements.

Jones article wrote:What You Can Do

Pass this on to your friends and favorite news sources.
Get involved in replicating this.
Get involved in commercializing this.

It's another curious thing, doesn't hurt anyone, and I've done my part by putting word of it out.
Carlhole

Unread postby Carlhole » Tue 14 Jun 2011, 11:41:12

I'd be inclined to believe that there is a serious market out there for this stuff. And Jones has certainly hit a really rough patch in his life after writing all those 911 papers. He was the key author, if not the lead, in the nanothermite paper, which had 8 or so other qualified names on it. Losing his position at BYU was a real blow to him.

But he doesn't have anything for sale. And he has always seemed to be someone with a high moral code. Kind of a tragic figure in a way.
Carlhole

Unread postby efarmer » Tue 14 Jun 2011, 12:11:50

I have attempted many times in my life to break Ohm's Law but all I have been able to achieve
is smoke. I have attempted a few times to break Charles and Boyles Laws but all I have achieved
is blown freon compressors and the liberation of chlorofluorocarbons into places where they should
not go. I have attempted to break the Laws of Thermodynamics as well and found it to be child's
play. One simply goes to an alternate dimension in another universe and hooks it up and eats a popsicle
while one watches it whir and buzz and hum along. If it is a cherry popsicle you can achieve 12X
overunity, all other flavors yield lesser amounts. 8X overunity for those of us in the know is a clear
indication that Dr. Jones is a lime popsicle man or is availing himself of the high yield banana popsicles with real fruit from Whole Foods. A nanoparticle thermite cherry popsicle would theoretically be the absolute limit of this technology, but who wants to eat that shit?
efarmer
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Next

Return to Energy Technology