Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Mindless Escapes ... I like "The Closer"

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Mindless Escapes ... I like "The Closer"

Unread postby pedalling_faster » Thu 30 Jun 2011, 15:25:32

For me this is one of the most entertaining shows out there.

I don't have television, I just get the series on Netflix.

For those who aren't familiar, it's a cop show, set in LA. Kyra Sedgwick plays a Georgia Belle turned Deputy Chief.

It's part comedy, part grisly fiction.

So what are your Mindless Escapes ... after you've worked hard all day ?
http://www.LASIK-Flap.com/ ~ Health Warning about LASIK Eye Surgery
pedalling_faster
Permanently Banned

Re: Mindless Escapes ... I like "The Closer"

Unread postby anador » Thu 30 Jun 2011, 15:38:59

Beer, a friendly bar, and completely inane conversation with a total stranger.

Makes me feel human.
@#$% highways
anador
Coal
Coal

Unread postby anador » Thu 30 Jun 2011, 15:59:47

also StarTrek TNG is a good guilty pleasure..... if only to laugh at what society expects to happen in 200 years
@#$% highways
anador
Coal
Coal

Unread postby pedalling_faster » Thu 30 Jun 2011, 19:34:55

anador wrote:Beer, a friendly bar, and completely inane conversation with a total stranger.

Makes me feel human.

that sounds good. never know where it will happen.

pstarr wrote:picking on cornies at PO.com.

i'm half cornie in the sense i think we have plenty of everything.

what i observe is that we have problems, as a society, distributing 'everything' fairly.

just think if we discovered the oil that we have left now, now, and found only 1 trillion barrels easily recover-able, as opposed to the 2 trillion that were discovered 100 years ago, of which we have used about half.

we'd think, "oh, man, sitting pretty, LOOK at all that oil".
but we may not rip up our rail lines, and a car that gets 40 mpg might be considered a gas wasting muscle car.

in other words, i don't think that we lack oil, i think that we lack the cooperation skills to build a functional economy (5 to 10% unemployement) using the oil that we have left.

basically, we're spoiled. like that one member's avatar of the person walking their dog by driving the car.

so, we have plenty of oil, but a shortage of non-spoiled-ness, and major difficulties managing our water resources.

does that qualify as a cornucopian outlook ?
pedalling_faster
Permanently Banned

Unread postby John_A » Thu 30 Jun 2011, 19:47:33

Gene Simmons, Family Jewels

Wonderful family entertainment, real life couples suffering real life trials and tribulations, raising some decent kids aspiring to rock star-dom and college degrees, as American and wholesome as baseball and apple pie.
45ACP: For when you want to send the very best.
John_A
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby vision-master » Thu 30 Jun 2011, 19:57:19

So what are your Mindless Escapes ... after you've worked hard all day ?

Latey it's Crossroads 2010, the only thing is, it's NOT mindless, exactly the opposite. lsol
vision-master

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Thu 30 Jun 2011, 20:19:14

"Leverage" is written by the guy who writes the "Kung Fu Monkey" blog where he talks about the writing life and answering obscure questions from obsessed fans.
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cog » Thu 30 Jun 2011, 23:56:16

Zombie films.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Novus » Fri 01 Jul 2011, 08:43:33

anador wrote:also StarTrek TNG is a good guilty pleasure..... if only to laugh at what society expects to happen in 200 years

I also like TNG but for a different reason. Captain Picard's time is actually 400 years in the future but if you look at the whole Star Trek time line it is actually pretty believable. The early and mid 21st century in Star Trek is a distopian vision of the future. Earth is torn by constant warfare and social injustice from 2000-2040s. Earth becomes a living hell by mid century with large scale genocides and Eugenics projects eventually leading to a nuclear war. This final war is written as a species changing event that leads to the dawning a new age of peace on a depopulated Earth. It is from that peace that you get the rise of the Utopian Star Trek world.

I see this as a semi believable view on the future. The near term is bleak indeed just like in the real world but after the current evil get played out there is a paradise that awaits at the other end of the road through hell.
Novus
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby anador » Fri 01 Jul 2011, 11:16:47

Novus wrote:
I also like TNG but for a different reason. Captain Picard's time is actually 400 years in the future but if you look at the whole Star Trek time line it is actually pretty believable. The early and mid 21st century in Star Trek is a distopian vision of the future. Earth is torn by constant warfare and social injustice from 2000-2040s. Earth becomes a living hell by mid century with large scale genocides and Eugenics projects eventually leading to a nuclear war. This final war is written as a species changing event that leads to the dawning a new age of peace on a depopulated Earth. It is from that peace that you get the rise of the Utopian Star Trek world.

I see this as a semi believable view on the future. The near term is bleak indeed just like in the real world but after the current evil get played out there is a paradise that awaits at the other end of the road through hell.

Yeah, Unfortunately antimatter technology must have already been pretty advanced by the third world war for zephram cochrane to have built a warp ship in the woods.

I don't think we will have a comparable technological basis that would rapidly lead us out of the catastrophe, like the ST universe had in cochrane.

Don't get me wrong, it would be sweet, but the problems in the star trek universe were all ones of social and economic disruption. Energy was never a problem. Our energy issues inherently limit our ability to emulate a st-esque post apocalyptic recovery.

sorry for off topic post
@#$% highways
anador
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Oneaboveall » Fri 01 Jul 2011, 14:08:43

Actually, I think it's nice to see Trek fans here.

I like stuff like Family Guy, American Dad, South Park, Burn Notice, etc... I'm also into Tosh.0; that man is insane!
When the banksters want something, our policymakers move with the speed of Mercury and the determination of Ares. It’s only when the rest of us need something that there is paralysis.

How free are we today with the dominance of globalist capital and militarized security apparatus?
Oneaboveall
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby eXpat » Fri 01 Jul 2011, 14:31:58

Cog wrote:Zombie films.

+1 to that, also fantasy/Sci fi series, Lately I like "Game of Thrones" (the HBO TV series) very much.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
George Bernard Shaw

You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.” Ayn Rand
eXpat
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Pops » Fri 01 Jul 2011, 16:21:55

I watch some tv and read whatever comes to hand but I like and do art and design so I browse art sites and look at all the really cool stuff people do - I guess I am a masochist. :-D

http://lookslikegooddesign.com/
http://browse.deviantart.com/
http://www.flickr.com
http://ffffound.com/

... I started to post this an hour ago and have been wandering around since.
I wound up here, wherever here is...

The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby pedalling_faster » Fri 01 Jul 2011, 16:57:32

Oneaboveall wrote:Actually, I think it's nice to see Trek fans here.

I like stuff like Family Guy, American Dad, South Park, Burn Notice, etc... I'm also into Tosh.0; that man is insane!

once i was at a drug testing place talking to the manager. he had a office full of Trek memento's.

i asked him, "if a Star Trek fan is called a Trekker or a Trekkie, what is a Star Wars fan called ?"

his answer, "Stupid !"

i thought that was funny, but i like them both. i recently listened to "Wrath of Kahn", which ends with Spock dying. (hope i didn't ruin if for anybody !)

so now i have to listen to "The Search for Spock".

i thought they did a good job with the new Star Trek. it is similar to the original first Star Trek movie in that Romulan vessels are attacked at the beginning, but obviously with a much different plot.
pedalling_faster
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Oneaboveall » Fri 01 Jul 2011, 18:13:42

pedalling_faster wrote:..i asked him, "if a Star Trek fan is called a Trekker or a Trekkie, what is a Star Wars fan called ?"

his answer, "Stupid !"

i thought that was funny, but i like them both. i recently listened to "Wrath of Kahn", which ends with Spock dying...

Yeah, never understood why that was. Some people have to be mutually exclusive I guess. It's kind of like people who like cats, but hate dogs; does it have to be either/or?

http://youtu.be/hNxhrPaaCA4
When the banksters want something, our policymakers move with the speed of Mercury and the determination of Ares. It’s only when the rest of us need something that there is paralysis.

How free are we today with the dominance of globalist capital and militarized security apparatus?
Oneaboveall
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby TITAN » Fri 01 Jul 2011, 18:23:26

Once in a while I play a certain, very popular, MMORPG.
"There will be another US civil war by 2015" - my old quote/prediction made years ago. Now that the establishment and evil of Hillary has been vanquished, America can be made great again.
TITAN
Coal
Coal

Return to Open Topic Discussion