Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Good Deal At Costco

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Good Deal At Costco

Unread postby peeker01 » Mon 11 Jul 2011, 20:06:35

just bought 5 gallons of drinking water at costco. comes in sturdy box for $4.25. think i will
stack them to the ceiling in the garage. might come in handy some day........
peeker01
Permanently Banned

Re: Good Deal At Costco

Unread postby vision-master » Mon 11 Jul 2011, 20:10:56

I think you have what's called 'hoarding disease'.
vision-master

Unread postby ki11ercane » Mon 11 Jul 2011, 20:28:03

peeker01 wrote:just bought 5 gallons of drinking water at costco. comes in sturdy box for $4.25. think i will

What's the water contained in?
ki11ercane
Coal
Coal

Unread postby AgentR11 » Mon 11 Jul 2011, 21:34:07

pantry items....

do not buy to save or store.

buy to use and rotate.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby peeker01 » Mon 11 Jul 2011, 21:42:24

why.....i use an ro filter for my everyday drinking......the costco water is for an emergency.
it's sealed in poly 2 1/2 gal jugs. bet it will taste damn good if the tap goes dry.
peeker01
Permanently Banned

Unread postby careinke » Mon 11 Jul 2011, 22:41:35

pstarr wrote:
peeker01 wrote:why.....i use an ro filter for my everyday drinking......the costco water is for an emergency.
it's sealed in poly 2 1/2 gal jugs. bet it will taste damn good if the tap goes dry.
you're rushing things. Unless you post from the Empty Quarter.

Funny, I used to post from the Empty Quarter. :-D
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby timmac » Mon 11 Jul 2011, 23:05:54

peeker01 wrote:why.....i use an ro filter for my everyday drinking......the costco water is for an emergency.

I don't think water from anyone's tap in America is going dry anytime soon, food, oil, bullets would run out 1st before tap water, even here in Vegas I don't worry about tap water and never will, that water will have absorbed all the toxins in those plastic containers before you need them for drinking water..
timmac
Permanently Banned

Unread postby peeker01 » Mon 11 Jul 2011, 23:37:52

yeah, i knew somebody would bitch about my water stored in plastic. let's see who croaks first,
you without water, or me with water stored in inert plastic bottles.
peeker01
Permanently Banned

Unread postby timmac » Mon 11 Jul 2011, 23:44:04

peeker01 wrote:yeah, i knew somebody would bitch about my water stored in plastic. let's see who croaks first,
you without water, or me with water stored in inert plastic bottles.

Why would I die from thirst, there will be plenty of fresh water even 25 years from now, however 25 years from now I can see you still looking at all those plastic water bottles and wondering if its still safe to drink..

:lol:
timmac
Permanently Banned

Unread postby EOTWAWKI » Tue 12 Jul 2011, 00:21:16

You paid $1 a gallon for drinking water that comes in a plastic container?

:shock:

Why not just collect the rain that falls on your roof into a cistern? And you can keep cyling it on your garden. And you will always have thousands of gallons of fresh, renewable water, free. (I mean - if you want to pay $1 gallon, that would more than cover the thousands of gallons in your cistern).
EOTWAWKI
Permanently Banned

Unread postby careinke » Tue 12 Jul 2011, 00:29:15

pstarr wrote:
careinke wrote:
pstarr wrote:
you're rushing things. Unless you post from the Empty Quarter.

Funny, I used to post from the Empty Quarter. :-D
You did? The unemployment line? Or that place in Saudi Arabia that doesn't have oil?

That place in Saudi Arabia. I was on the edge just outside of Al Kharj.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Tue 12 Jul 2011, 01:52:43

peeker01 wrote:just bought 5 gallons of drinking water at costco. comes in sturdy box for $4.25. think i will
Here we have very good tap water for a flat monthly rate, no matter how much we use. So bring your boxes, I will fill them and save you $4.25.
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Tue 12 Jul 2011, 02:52:22

Costco has big double walled plastic flower pots, about 22" diameter for $20. They are fairly cone shaped this year, probably hold 11 gallons. Good size for tomatoes and container gardening. We probably have a dozen. They stack fairly well if we ever need to move. They also have a good price on the bulk box of Miracle-Gro plant food (the blue stuff).

Some of this stuff is probably about to go on clearance in North America, especially the pots.
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby vision-master » Tue 12 Jul 2011, 09:34:02

Filling up today........ :)

This is not a true spring but a well that is 1,100 feet deep well taps into the Mount Simon-Hinckley aquifer to water that is purported to be over 30,000 years old. True fossil water! This well was drilled by the old Schmidt Brewery that is no longer in service but is now a St. Paul historical landmark.

The water has been available to the public on-and-off through the years and has recently been re-opened in early 2010. The water is brought up to a holding tank which is then dispensed to the public through a vending machine.
vision-master

Unread postby peeker01 » Tue 12 Jul 2011, 13:13:46

timmac wrote:

I don't think water from anyone's tap in America is going dry anytime soon, food, oil, bullets would run out 1st before tap water, even here in Vegas I don't worry about tap water and never will, that water will have absorbed all the toxins in those plastic containers before you need them for drinking water..

here's the answer to your concerns about water storage in plastic......polycarbonate is the plastic
to avoid. the costco water bottles are polypropylene, and not subject to chemical leeching.

http://trusted.md/blog/vreni_gurd/2007/ ... z1RuOYwpDS

also, remember that water is not only water, but electricity too. if there is an electricity disruption,
the drinking water will soon stop.
peeker01
Permanently Banned

Unread postby GoIllini » Tue 12 Jul 2011, 13:37:56

I would save your money. There might be better deals in European oil stocks by the time we're done. Actually, my plan is to buy a private island in the Aegean for cents on the dollar after Greece blows up.

also, remember that water is not only water, but electricity too.

LOL, depends on where you live. Perhaps in NYC, but then you've got the East River and a smart engineer can help you distill water from it. Out in the country, you've got wells, roofs, etc.

Better to make friends with a smart engineer and keep a couple gallons of water at home like most normal but conservative/prepared folks do. It is highly unlikely that Peak Oil will result in a sudden crash. You need the gallon jug at home for a hurricane/earthquake/etc. You need the engineer for Peak Oil.
GoIllini
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Return to Open Topic Discussion