Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

This place?

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

This place?

Unread postby vision-master » Sat 16 Jul 2011, 09:51:23

Does matter only matter on this 4um? Is there any room for acquiring consciousness here? Is life here ONLY about 'things'. Things/ stuff we can see, feel, hear, touch. Believers of 'hard science' YES?

Do ppl here worry obsessively about money. Of having a 'place' in society, of fitting in?

Work
Consume
Pleasure
Debt

This is all that matters, no?
vision-master

Re: This place?

Unread postby Rod_Cloutier » Sat 16 Jul 2011, 11:22:45

I had a nightmare last night. I was in the middle of the ocean with all my co-workers. A hurricane that would sink the ship was forcast for the next day, but today was bright, sunny warm and calm.

I was in a large lifeboat, prepping it with food, batteries, water, floation devices, radio's, flares ect. Everyone else was in inflatible rubber tubes, playing in the water, swimming playing ball with each other and having fun.

At this point I realized that I had overloaded my lifeboat with emergency supplies and it would sink if I didn't hook it up with some of the inflatible rubber tubes. But my co-workers, playing on the tubes would have no part of it. Yes, they would fall off and die during a hurricane, BUT as they repeatedly pointed out- There's no hurricane yet, it might bypass us entirely, and there's no guarantee the larger ship will sink.

At this point I sat, by myself, in my overloaded lifeboat and wondered- was it me, actually, the only one who was behaving stupidly? I was doomed without their floatation craft to buoy my lifeboat, just as surely as they would be doomed on inflatable rubber tubes trying to ride out a hurricane in the middle of the ocean.

To answer the question of this post- I still haven't quite fiqured life out yet at age 40- I'll let you know when I've got my bearings.
Rod_Cloutier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby davep » Sat 16 Jul 2011, 11:49:28

vision-master wrote:Do ppl here worry obsessively about money. Of having a 'place' in society, of fitting in?

Quite the opposite for some of us. I would have thought that would be obvious. Fitting in doesn't seem to be terribly high on people's agenda here.
What we think, we become.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby Bill Hicks » Sat 16 Jul 2011, 11:53:35

Do I worry about fitting in? Heck no.

I live well below my means and have set up my life that I could be very comfortable for the remainder of my days IF the so-called "leaders" of the world and their billionaire puppet masters were not so intent on destroying everything through their avarice. :evil:
Check out The Downward Spiral (A Requiem for the American Dream):

http://billhicksisdead.blogspot.com/
Bill Hicks
Peat
Peat

Unread postby dorlomin » Sat 16 Jul 2011, 13:49:21

dorlomin
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby AgentR11 » Sat 16 Jul 2011, 15:49:46

vision-master wrote:Does matter only matter on this 4um? Is there any room for acquiring consciousness here?

"acquiring" ?
Sounds like you are still on the same page as Bob wanting a new 4x4.

How bout... being open to accept new experiences of consciousness as they present themselves.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby vision-master » Sat 16 Jul 2011, 15:56:45

I do want that new Vespa 300. :roll:

Gonna take a test drive on one next week. :wink:
vision-master

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sat 16 Jul 2011, 18:24:42

Repent wrote:To answer the question of this post- I still haven't quite fiqured life out yet at age 40- I'll let you know when I've got my bearings.

+1 ... great insight, IMO

I'm 52 now. As time marches on I become increasingly convinced NO thoughtful person can "figure life out". Toffler's "future shock" concept arriving IN OUR FACE is certainly no help, as is the hysterical "knee bent running about" reaction we are treated to each week (or day lately) on the news, due to the ensuing chaos that and BAU growth brings about.

So, people come up with philosophies to try to deal with this, as they have throughout recorded history. IMO, religion, macro-economic theories, and really any passionate theory based on any type of absolute "Truth" (Peak Oil is a classic example, BTW), are all fine examples of this.

On the good side - they serve as diversions and give us goals and something to "DO" about things. On the bad side, since humanity is collectively a large pile of idiots as it frequently demonstrates, we mostly FIGHT about it. Guns or words -- all depends on the situation.

I've decided to spectate, comment, and duck a lot when the guns come out. I think I'll call my philosophy wistful cowardly laziness. :)
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby John_A » Sat 16 Jul 2011, 23:24:01

vision-master wrote:Does matter only matter on this 4um? Is there any room for acquiring consciousness here? Is life here ONLY about 'things'. Things/ stuff we can see, feel, hear, touch. Believers of 'hard science' YES?

No. More political stuff than that.
45ACP: For when you want to send the very best.
John_A
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby John_A » Sat 16 Jul 2011, 23:24:59

vision-master wrote:I do want that new Vespa 300. :roll:

Gonna take a test drive on one next week. :wink:

Wife wants a Vino. What with things tightening up all around, it is about time to start the serious prepping, and she is angling for the scooter using that idea. Tricky thing, these womens.
John_A
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby mattduke » Sat 16 Jul 2011, 23:27:15

Are those 2 or 4 stroke?
mattduke
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby John_A » Sat 16 Jul 2011, 23:44:57

mattduke wrote:Are those 2 or 4 stroke?

The Vino is a 4. Some little Italian jobbies are still 2.
John_A
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Return to Open Topic Discussion