Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Catholic Church:'Peak oil' era may have arrived

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Catholic Church:'Peak oil' era may have arrived

Unread postby M_B_S » Thu 28 Jul 2011, 11:30:42

http://www.catholic.org/business/story.php?id=42190

'Peak oil' era may have arrived - and civilization will never be the same

By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)
7/27/2011
Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)

Debate rages on how much oil is left, and how long it will last

"Peak oil is the time when the world's production reaches the highest point, then starts back down again," Tom Whipple, energy scholar and CIA analyst for 30 years says. "Oil is a finite resource, and [it] someday will go down, and that is what the peak oil discussion is all about." Even more troubling, there are signs that peak oil may have already arrived.....
The "devils tears" are running dry!

Halleluja!

M_B_S
M_B_S
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Catholic Church:'Peak oil' era may have arrived

Unread postby Sixstrings » Thu 28 Jul 2011, 21:57:56

Well..

That's a website by lay Catholics, it's not from a diocese or a papal bull out of Rome. Having said that, my sense is Catholics are more open to peak oil issues than evangelicals. Evangelicals are too tied up in feel-good positive thinking, "prosperity gospel," megachurches and materialism -- none of that jives with peak oil.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby John_A » Thu 28 Jul 2011, 22:20:28

Whipple has been writing about peak oil for years now with Falls Church Press I believe. I wish these gurus would just shut up already, they can't even be bothered to look up the production figures and realize that there isn't even an argument any more, peak oil happened years ago, whoo raw, most people are more concerned about other important issues now.
45ACP: For when you want to send the very best.
John_A
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby timmac » Thu 28 Jul 2011, 22:22:50

Sixstrings wrote: Evangelicals are too tied up in feel-good positive thinking, "prosperity gospel," megachurches and materialism -- none of that jives with peak oil.

It also does not jive with the Almighty either. :o
timmac
Permanently Banned

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Thu 28 Jul 2011, 22:24:25

Peak oil happened. The fallout is evident.
ELM is ripping much of the world to shreds.
The US is toppling.
Europe is spluttering.
Yeah peak oil is so passe'.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby M_B_S » Fri 29 Jul 2011, 02:08:56

Less is better than more after peak oil (everything).

So the church has to play his role again.

http://zenhabits.net/how-to-live-a-bett ... with-less/

That’s hard to believe if you haven’t tried it, but today I am happier than ever. I’m better off financially than ever, now that I’m out of debt and living blissfully debt-free. I am unencumbered by a crapload of stuff, and I have room in my life for what’s truly important: my family, my writing, and my twin loves of reading and running.

The beautiful thing is that you don’t need to earn more money or buy a bigger house or car or have a bigger company in order to have this better life — you need less of all of that. It’s attainable simply by cutting back.

Here’s how to do it — briefly. This will be familiar to long-time readers, but it’s a necessary primer for newer converts......

Just live it and peak oil is no nightmare @ all.

M_B_S

“Simplicity is the peak of civilization.” – Jessie Sampter
M_B_S
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby careinke » Fri 29 Jul 2011, 04:32:45

M_B_S wrote:Less is better than more after peak oil (everything).

That’s hard to believe if you haven’t tried it, but today I am happier than ever. I’m better off financially than ever, now that I’m out of debt and living blissfully debt-free. I am unencumbered by a crapload of stuff, and I have room in my life for what’s truly important: my family, my writing, and my twin loves of reading and running.

The beautiful thing is that you don’t need to earn more money or buy a bigger house or car or have a bigger company in order to have this better life — you need less of all of that. It’s attainable simply by cutting back.

Here’s how to do it — briefly. This will be familiar to long-time readers, but it’s a necessary primer for newer converts......

M_B_S

So true, to bad our politicians don't feel the same way about government spending.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Arthur75 » Fri 29 Jul 2011, 05:30:43

SeaGypsy wrote:ELM is ripping much of the world to shreds.

ELM ?
Arthur75
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Fri 29 Jul 2011, 05:33:43

M_B_S wrote:Less is better than more after peak oil (everything).

M_B_S

Indeed.
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby M_B_S » Fri 29 Jul 2011, 05:45:00

Arthur75 wrote:

ELM ?

= Export Land Model

=> Oil imports are shrinking fast for oil junkies like US and EU + OECD

Verify it with Chefurka
http://www.paulchefurka.ca/WEAP/WEAP.html
Figure 4: World Net Oil Exports 2002 to 2013

Thats why the IEA frees the SPR

Oil imports to Germany for example fall ~20 Million metric tons since 2006

112 to 93 million metric tons

http://www.bafa.de/bafa/de/energie/mine ... index.html

M_B_S
Last edited by M_B_S on Fri 29 Jul 2011, 05:52:13, edited 1 time in total.
M_B_S
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Arthur75 » Fri 29 Jul 2011, 05:50:05

M_B_S wrote:
Arthur75 wrote:

ELM ?

= Export Land Model

=> Oil imports are shrinking fast for oil junkies like US and EU + OECD

Thanks, yes know about the export land model, and when you think that in KSA for instance, 70% of tap water is desalinized water using oil as energy source, quite scary ...
Arthur75
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby dolanbaker » Fri 29 Jul 2011, 07:41:23

I have believed for a long time that religon will once again become popular, once the "god" of consumerism is starved of fuel and people are forced to look elsewhere for that feeling of belonging.

And the fear of the unknown as well! No one can really accurately predict how the decline in energy (fuel) will affect people, I think that many will just go to church and pray!
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby John_A » Fri 29 Jul 2011, 08:23:11

M_B_S wrote:Just live it and peak oil is no nightmare @ all.

M_B_S

Quite the truth, that.We've been living it for years now, it is time to just accept it and keep moving. Certainly the consequences have been more than a little letdown, and the Rapturists are probably livid over the entire affair, but it is what it is, and there are certainly bigger issues on the horizon to tackle next.
45ACP: For when you want to send the very best.
John_A
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby vision-master » Fri 29 Jul 2011, 09:53:07

The Vatican has been working to get off the grid for sometime now.

Will those devils ever leave us kids alone. :lol:
vision-master

Unread postby AgentR11 » Fri 29 Jul 2011, 11:10:01

M_B_S wrote:The beautiful thing is that you don’t need to earn more money or buy a bigger house or car or have a bigger company in order to have this better life — you need less of all of that. It’s attainable simply by cutting back.

Catholic teaching and evangelization has been anti-consumerism for just about as long as the word "consumerism" has existed. All kinds of reasons for this; but adapting to a post peak world falls straight in line with what your typical Catholic hears in their homily a dozen times a year. You can be crass about its portrayal, ie, "why are you buying a BMW when our St. Vincent De Paul society guys are working out of a barely safe, un-airconditioned shack, and using 15 year old computers". But it also makes sense, treasure follows the focal point of people's lives. For much of the history of the West, since the fall of Rome, that focal point was a local church (and usually a Catholic one), both from a worship point of view, but also a community activity and enrichment center.

This odd-ball gospel that some of the modern protestants are preaching, telling people that God's primary benevolent act in their lives is the size of their paycheck, and the sparkle of their bling; its just beyond the pale. Anything that calls to greed, is not of God. And funny enough, if you step back from the call of greed, Peak Oil isn't really all that horrible for an individual or family.

Collapse, as predicted by some, could have been bad, but I think we're seeing what real collapse looks like now, and its about as slow as frozen molasses.

Pull back, choosing to live in a 1000sf-1500sf house and driving an efficient or inexpensive vehicle will do you no harm. And you might then notice that your treasure moves to where your heart truly wished to be.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Arthur75 » Fri 29 Jul 2011, 11:15:55

AgentR11 wrote:
Collapse, as predicted by some, could have been bad, but I think we're seeing what real collapse looks like now, and its about as slow as frozen molasses.

Yeah, not so sure about that one ...
Arthur75
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby AgentR11 » Fri 29 Jul 2011, 11:24:24

Arthur75 wrote:Yeah, not so sure about that one ...

We're a good couple years into the event.. my air conditioner is still running; there is still food in the grocery store, and I don't have a ration card for fuel. If this is fast, then we're using the word "fast" in a multi-generational or geological sense.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby ritter » Fri 29 Jul 2011, 12:21:52

AgentR11 wrote:
Arthur75 wrote:Yeah, not so sure about that one ...

We're a good couple years into the event.. my air conditioner is still running; there is still food in the grocery store, and I don't have a ration card for fuel. If this is fast, then we're using the word "fast" in a multi-generational or geological sense.

Yeah, but.... We're on the plateau, not the down side. And effects have been largely mitigated so far by the global slowdown, arguably attributed to peak oil production. The slide down won't be quite so nice, I suspect.
ritter
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Return to Peak Oil Discussion