Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Putin Calls U.S. "Parasite" on Global Economy

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Putin Calls U.S. "Parasite" on Global Economy

Unread postby timmac » Thu 04 Aug 2011, 17:03:41

In a way I think he is right, thats why we need Trump as President for 2012 to fix our government and stay out of foreign affairs..

Tough talks from Russia's Prime Minister Vladimir Putin about the United States.

After weeks of haggling by U.S. lawmakers to raise their debt ceiling, Putin accuses the US of living beyond its means, "like a parasite on the global economy."

[Vladimir Putin, Russian Prime Minister]:

"They (the U.S.) are living beyond their means and shifting a part of the weight of their problems to the world economy. To some extent they are living like parasites off the global economy and their monopoly of the dollar."

In an open-air meeting with young Russians, he expressed relief about the debt agreement.

http://english.ntdtv.com/ntdtv_en/news_europe/2011-08-03/putin-calls-u-s-parasite-on-global-economy.html
timmac
Permanently Banned

Re: Putin Calls U.S. "Parasite" on Global Economy

Unread postby Cog » Thu 04 Aug 2011, 17:13:54

We are way past fixing the economy no matter who is elected.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby americandream » Thu 04 Aug 2011, 18:13:16

timmac wrote:In a way I think he is right, thats why we need Trump as President for 2012 to fix our government and stay out of foreign affairs..

Tough talks from Russia's Prime Minister Vladimir Putin about the United States.

After weeks of haggling by U.S. lawmakers to raise their debt ceiling, Putin accuses the US of living beyond its means, "like a parasite on the global economy."

[Vladimir Putin, Russian Prime Minister]:

"They (the U.S.) are living beyond their means and shifting a part of the weight of their problems to the world economy. To some extent they are living like parasites off the global economy and their monopoly of the dollar."

In an open-air meeting with young Russians, he expressed relief about the debt agreement.

http://english.ntdtv.com/ntdtv_en/news_europe/2011-08-03/putin-calls-u-s-parasite-on-global-economy.html

Who is the "we". No matter who is voted in, nothing will change. In fact I would venture that things will continue to speed up until costs are completely obliterated and profits are fully maximised. And Putin is a part of this paradigm. He was an Ex KGB communist and knows of the alternatives. Yet he still plays ball with capitalism.

There are no leaders today who are willing to give you the world you desire. They have too much to lose giving you your dreams. You will have to work for what you want. No more freebies I am afraid.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Bill Hicks » Thu 04 Aug 2011, 18:56:22

Hate to say it, but we could use someone like Putin. Dude may be an autocrat, but at least he puts the interests of his own country FIRST. :badgrin:
Check out The Downward Spiral (A Requiem for the American Dream):

http://billhicksisdead.blogspot.com/
Bill Hicks
Peat
Peat

Unread postby timmac » Thu 04 Aug 2011, 19:07:31

americandream wrote:Who is the "we". No matter who is voted in, nothing will change.

The "we" is Americans/Capitalist for your info, if the same damn republicans or democrats are voted in than yes nothing will change, however I beleave Trump would be that change and might pull it off, we need a business man and not the same as the old boss politician..
timmac
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Pretorian » Thu 04 Aug 2011, 20:42:27

Bill Hicks wrote:Hate to say it, but we could use someone like Putin. Dude may be an autocrat, but at least he puts the interests of his own country FIRST. :badgrin:

That's because he owns the country. He is the richest man in the world. All of the oligarchs and foreign businesses in Russia are nothing but his tenants. Granted, he won't be able to take it all to his grave but meantime its all his.
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby americandream » Thu 04 Aug 2011, 20:57:15

timmac wrote:
americandream wrote:Who is the "we". No matter who is voted in, nothing will change.

The "we" is Americans/Capitalist for your info, if the same damn republicans or democrats are voted in than yes nothing will change, however I beleave Trump would be that change and might pull it off, we need a business man and not the same as the old boss politician..

I don't think the capitalist class quite factor you in when planning how to grow their wealth. You are just another consumer who gets to vote from time to time. Whether you will get the results you vote for is another matter. Unless, of course, you have a few tens of millions (at least).

Trump will go where the money is despite what he says. He didn't get rich by letting the needs of others intrude. Note link:

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/donald-t ... d=13472355
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby AgentR11 » Thu 04 Aug 2011, 21:40:46

I dunno, I think as little as a million or so in productive assets pretty much will align your interests with those of most of the top 1%. But note the word productive, ie, in the market, making, or at least trying to find some profit. Not talking salaried earners with million dollar residential properties though, they could easily be more vulnerable that most regular folks in modest homes.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby americandream » Thu 04 Aug 2011, 21:56:03

AgentR11 wrote:I dunno, I think as little as a million or so in productive assets pretty much will align your interests with those of most of the top 1%. But note the word productive, ie, in the market, making, or at least trying to find some profit. Not talking salaried earners with million dollar residential properties though, they could easily be more vulnerable that most regular folks in modest homes.

If that were the case, we would not have a relentlessly bland government, irrespective of who runs the show. Whether it is Obama or Bush or Trump, it should be evident by now that China continues to remain the most favoured destination for those American investors who don't share the protectionist sentiments of many ordinary Americans. America is being strip mined of its manufacturing. Who are these shadowy rich persons? Certainly not the usual run of the mill averagely rich guys in reasonably comfortable suburbia whom one is likely to bump into at a barbecue.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby AgentR11 » Thu 04 Aug 2011, 22:16:14

1. There aren't 2-3 million Americans immigrating to China. (top 1%)

2. People with just a million or so can most certainly participate in international markets. Up to the individual investor whether they think its worth it; but, its not that difficult either.

3. America is being "strip mined of manufacturing" because of currency valuation goofiness at this point. I think we're about to see some real pressure that will adjust this.. Stuff is flooding to pure cash, but cash holders are finding nowhere to go with it; something is gonna give.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby americandream » Thu 04 Aug 2011, 23:13:25

AgentR11 wrote:1. There aren't 2-3 million Americans immigrating to China. (top 1%)

2. People with just a million or so can most certainly participate in international markets. Up to the individual investor whether they think its worth it; but, its not that difficult either.

3. America is being "strip mined of manufacturing" because of currency valuation goofiness at this point. I think we're about to see some real pressure that will adjust this.. Stuff is flooding to pure cash, but cash holders are finding nowhere to go with it; something is gonna give.

The point being made is that the drivers of American capital determine where it goes. Currency valuation has never really featured in the relentless offshoring of employment costs which started way back Raegan's days. The imported deflation that offshoring American labour costs brings about has mitigated currency volatility ensuring that dissatisfaction is minimised and will continue to be minimised.

As for the millionaire down the road who is altogether unhappy with offshoring but invests in a Shangai heavy hedge fund, well, there is your paradox and why protectionsim is something of a non-starter where capital flows freely, as it must and will continue to do. Couple that with the lobbying industry in Wasghington and it should be evident to all but the wilfully denialist that working Americans will have to prepare themselves for a future of indifferent employment.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby timmac » Fri 05 Aug 2011, 00:56:08

americandream wrote:Trump will go where the money is despite what he says. He didn't get rich by letting the needs of others intrude. Note link:

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/donald-t ... d=13472355

Yes I know this story in your link about Trump buying his line of clothes from China, but he even says you just can't get it here in America anymore, that also goes for any American, where are those made in America clothes, how bout New Zealand, do you folks still make your own clothes.

This is what makes Trump good, he talks about the real issues and wants real changes, he is Americas last hope at this moment as far as I am concerned, if we do not have real correct change come 2012 than America will be a 3rd world country dead ass broke..

We Will Be Belly Up Mate..
timmac
Permanently Banned

Unread postby AgentR11 » Fri 05 Aug 2011, 01:39:06

americandream wrote:The point being made is that the drivers of American capital determine where it goes. Currency valuation has never really featured in the relentless offshoring of employment costs which started way back Raegan's days. The imported deflation that offshoring American labour costs brings about has mitigated currency volatility ensuring that dissatisfaction is minimised and will continue to be minimised.

I'm talking about currency valuation in terms of $'s per hour of moderately skilled labor. Not the exchange rate. My hunch is that the disparity will be decreasing, as US wages start to freefall (too many people chasing too few jobs, qed, wage decline) and overseas wages modestly improve, free flow of data allows the Indian freelance programmer to write code for Bob's Quicky Mart HQ; so smaller companies can access overseas labor, but the overseas labor guy can push for better individual rates since there isn't a managerial unit between him and his customer. This factor can apply to a very large number of desk/ip type jobs. Back in the US, the freewheeling guy in Lubbock, TX who played hard in silicon valley during the bubble, may have priced himself out of the regular market, but he can, if he chose, pick up freelance contracts, and not just US contracts; but same deal as the Indian fellow.

I think we're going to where globalization was really meant to be, where labor is more closely compensated based upon task instead of nationality; and this is why I suspect that by the close of this decade $xodd will buy basically the same amount of labor, whether the worker is in Bangkok or NY City. This will, unfortunately, suck for a great many people who are still attached to mortgages and property values that could only happen at the peak of back to back bubbles.

That's what I am referring to when I reference disparities in currency valuation and coming corrections. Exchange rate is part of it, but not the sole source.

About the only labor that would initially be immune would be physical service work requiring hands on, with insurance and bonding. But even then, those wages can not hold when surrounded by too many wanna-be laborers, and communities filled with people making substantially less value in currency. (I don't pretend to know whether they'll inflate to keep the number steady while reducing value; long bond traders don't think so though.)

should be evident to all but the wilfully denialist that working Americans will have to prepare themselves for a future of indifferent employment.

I'm not sure how this can work out cleanly though.. With falling incomes and sales; state and local governments will have no choice but to turn to property taxes for revenue; but property taxes don't really care whether the owner is local, or in Paris; failure to pay results in the property being auctioned. If property taxes climb to make up the drop in revenue, foreign ownership of real plant and equipment becomes very costly... And all kinds of nasty follows down that rabbit hole..

It'd be a weird consumer economy, if it really became a simple service assist, with everyone having the equivalent of a food stamp card, government taxing the movement of goods, depositing the magical dollars on the cards, people using the cards to buy the goods, completely the currency circle.

Maybe grain figures more heavily in this picture than people imagine. Price of grain is real cheap right now, even given that we cook a bunch of it into ethanol. What if supply collapses further, but the government mandates 20% ethanol content for road fuel? Does that provide the price spike in food goods to equalize the value of an American wage earners take compared to the foreign workers take valued in locally subsidized food?

2010's are gonna be a heck of a study project for some economist grad student in the future.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby americandream » Fri 05 Aug 2011, 01:59:32

As the limits to the free flow of capital fall away (for a whole raft of reasons and the crisis will see further deregulation paradoxically), the per unit cost of global labour will draw towards parity. The ground was laid for all of this when trade unions were defanged. Marx viewed unions, in fact he viewed the whole social democratic enterprise as doomed given the inevitable contours of a world with no limits to the movement of passive wealth. In fact the anti government sentiments that abound today are precisely what one expects to find in an increasingly globalised but atomised social economy. Any and all limits are anathema to the efficient maximisation of surplus, and these include religion as well, hence the Reformation. We see this mirrored inn the Muslim world today where archaic rules on usury obstruct the ongoing rise of the Islamic bourgeoisie leading to disaffection and rebellion.

Therefore, within this, protectionism cannot succeed as it runs counter to the rising dynamic of speculative accumulation, a feature of growing globalism and the state capital shall finally mature into. Speculation to a large extent will be the driving force in the emerging economy, affecting all our lives from the major banks to the increasing numbers of solitary retailers and this is where I see the employment slack in the West being taken up. This and marginal activities such as prostitution.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby timmac » Fri 05 Aug 2011, 02:15:01

pstarr wrote:Trump is a stupid greaseball idiot. He was born on 3rd base (like his hero GW) and believes he he hit a home run. Trumps father was a slumlord all over the South Bronx. Donald's first big job was to gut a historic landmark (The Beautiful Biltmore Hotel) at midnight (when the preservationists couldn't stop him) and turn the beautiful building into another glass/concrete monstrosity. Years later he apologized.

Trump is a self-promoting comb-over.

And how many jobs would that old outdated biltmore hotel bring, how much local taxes, etc, etc, tearing that down and building that glass high rise was better for jobs, local economy, taxes, etc, etc.

Sounds like the guy knows how to get things done, at least he used his money and not bail out money..

Got any better ideas for a Prez..
timmac
Permanently Banned

Unread postby AgentR11 » Fri 05 Aug 2011, 02:19:47

PALIN RULES.

Course I have this odd, nihilistic desire to see the world burn sometimes...

Seriously though, to much focus on the Pres. This decade will be the time of the Legislature; for good or ill.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Fri 05 Aug 2011, 06:16:08

AgentR11 wrote:Course I have this odd, nihilistic desire to see the world burn sometimes...

It would help matters if we had a culture of protest in this country. Then when you feel that way Agent, you could go join a protest with thousands of other citizens and yell and scream and bang a drum and get it out of your system -- and perhaps even force change (nonviolently).

Or, you may get a nightstick slammed in your kidneys. I remember some poor British sap died that way, and he wasn't even protesting just trying to walk home from work.

Anyhow I know what you mean Agent.. our political system doesn't represent us anymore.. and we're not a protesting culture.. so we stay in our homes and get on the internet or watch teevee. At the end of the day, you have to come to some acceptance on things -- never stop voting or speaking out -- but also come to acceptance.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Bill Hicks » Fri 05 Aug 2011, 12:20:09

AgentR11 wrote:PALIN RULES.

Seriously though, to much focus on the Pres. This decade will be the time of the Legislature; for good or ill.

If I vote this time around, it will most likely be for the candidate who would bring on collapse the fastest. Right now, my top 4 in that category are:

1). Bachmann
2). Palin
3). Perry
4). Trump

Each one of them is so self-absorbed and has such a warped view of reality that they would do the job quite nicely. 8)
Check out The Downward Spiral (A Requiem for the American Dream):

http://billhicksisdead.blogspot.com/
Bill Hicks
Peat
Peat

Unread postby timmac » Sat 06 Aug 2011, 00:42:14

Bill Hicks wrote:
AgentR11 wrote:PALIN RULES.

If I vote this time around, it will most likely be for the candidate who would bring on collapse the fastest. Right now, my top 4 in that category are:

1). Bachmann
2). Palin
3). Perry
4). Trump

Each one of them is so self-absorbed and has such a warped view of reality that they would do the job quite nicely. 8)

Are you really serous, you left Obama out of that, I would think he would be number 1.

Wait a minute he has cause the fastest crash.. :lol:
timmac
Permanently Banned

Next

Return to Open Topic Discussion