Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Life After the Oil Crash (LATOC) Thread pt 2 (merged)

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

THE Life After the Oil Crash (LATOC) Thread pt 2 (merged)

Unread postby Xenophobe » Thu 23 Dec 2010, 22:40:06

kublikhan wrote: As far as I can tell, FreddyH believes in peakoil and believes decline rates are going to cause serious problems for us. Freddy does take issue with the fanatics/religious dogma types/doomers(he calls them McPeaksters). But that is a long way from calling peak oil a fraud.

I don't recall Freddy ever saying that peak oil was a fraud. He was banned for being very well armed for his point of view, and that point of view wasn't all Doom, all the time. He was also pretty honest, referencing such predicted peaks as Campbells 1989 call, one which most McDoomsters would rather not have thrown up in their face every time they proclaim that the newest, latest and greatest estimate is THE peak...versus all those other ones.

So what is the proper response when faced with a well armed opponent? There are generally two. One is to accumulate conflicting information and battle it out for who's idea is better. Thats generally the way, say, scientists do it. The peakers chose response #2. Freddy was banned.
Xenophobe
Permanently Banned

Re: Meltdown over at LATOC forum

Unread postby davep » Fri 24 Dec 2010, 02:13:34

Rigid control is required by peak oil websites as much as it is by TPTB.

The fact you're still here disproves that little theory.
What we think, we become.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby mos6507 » Fri 24 Dec 2010, 02:40:48

I was defending Matt further back in this thread, and I even sent him a message to get his side of the story, which he didn't reply to. Not that he's obligated, but when I see what his new site is about, it definitely backs up the theory that he's lost his marbles ala Matt Simmons or sold out.

I just don't see how any well-respected doomer would put an ounce of effort into doing a reading of Lindsay Lohan, which merely panders to our celebrity-obsessed culture.
mos6507

Unread postby Sixstrings » Fri 24 Dec 2010, 03:04:03

mos6507 wrote:I was defending Matt further back in this thread, and I even sent him a message to get his side of the story, which he didn't reply to.

Did you forget to send the $200 first? ;)
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby kublikhan » Fri 24 Dec 2010, 06:58:22

Xenophobe wrote:I don't recall Freddy ever saying that peak oil was a fraud.
You said peak oil was a fraud. You also seemed to imply that well informed skeptics like Freddy shared your view. But after reviewing his website I don't believe this to be the case. It's true, he takes issue with the groupthink and doom prognostications. But like I said, that is a far cry from calling peak oil a fraud.

Xenophobe wrote:So what is the proper response when faced with a well armed opponent? There are generally two. One is to accumulate conflicting information and battle it out for who's idea is better. Thats generally the way, say, scientists do it. The peakers chose response #2. Freddy was banned.
You are still here are you not? You are fervent in your opposition to the groupthink here, yet still here nonetheless. This leads me to conclude that maybe it was not simply Freddy's position on peakoil that lead to his ban. Perhaps a violation of the terms of use? Perhaps the admins here are less likely to crack down on Terms of use violations coming from those who conform to the groupthink. Or perhaps TOU violations by skeptics are more likely to be brought to the admins attention just because they are posting a view unpopular with the majority. However that should just encourage all to be civil in their posts. Also, I don't think you should be questioning admin decisions in public.
The oil barrel is half-full.
kublikhan
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Xenophobe » Fri 24 Dec 2010, 10:55:24

davep wrote:
Rigid control is required by peak oil websites as much as it is by TPTB.

The fact you're still here disproves that little theory.

And the fact that FreddyH isn't here supports it.
Xenophobe
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Xenophobe » Fri 24 Dec 2010, 11:23:10

mos6507 wrote: but when I see what his new site is about, it definitely backs up the theory that he's lost his marbles ala Matt Simmons or sold out.

I don't know about calling it "selling out". Simply shifting from selling stuff to less fortunate gullible people to more fortunate gullible people seems like only an improved business model.
Xenophobe
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Xenophobe » Fri 24 Dec 2010, 11:35:04

kublikhan wrote:
Xenophobe wrote:I don't recall Freddy ever saying that peak oil was a fraud.
You said peak oil was a fraud.

Maybe I said peak oil consequences are a fraud, but I have ALWAYS bought into peak oil as a maximum flowrate with a terminal decline as a matter of course. I certainly wouldn't contradict Lynch and CERA and the EIA, who also believe that peak oil will happen.

The fraud aspect are when people look out their suburban windows, 5 years after peak oil happened, and know that the hysterical consequences of peak oil were a fraud.

kublikhan wrote:You also seemed to imply that well informed skeptics like Freddy shared your view.

Not at all. If there is one thing I am quite proud of, it is to discuss all points of view regardless of my agreement with them. Freddy has made some interesting comments on demand destruction and how it may function as a driver for peak oil consequences on JD's blog. Noticed them?

kublikhan wrote:
Xenophobe wrote:So what is the proper response when faced with a well armed opponent? There are generally two. One is to accumulate conflicting information and battle it out for who's idea is better. Thats generally the way, say, scientists do it. The peakers chose response #2. Freddy was banned.
You are still here are you not?

Of course I am still here. But because of my basic observations, I can be dismissed as a troll, called names, I am not a threat to the message being crafted through the use of the tactics mentioned previously. Freddy cannot be dismissed that way.

kublikhan wrote:Also, I don't think you should be questioning admin decisions in public.

But of course. Thank you for reinforcing my point that this all must be done in secrecy, otherwise it would be too easy to spot how the message is shaped.
Xenophobe
Permanently Banned

Unread postby bratticus » Fri 24 Dec 2010, 11:52:27

Xenophobe wrote:Perhaps his business model has changed?

For example, note the following reference

http://www.takebackyourballs.net/AboutMe.html

Why does that site look so much like FB? Well with the sidebars all missing and other extra stuff chopped out too.

But look at the colors, fonts, etc. Totally FB.
bratticus
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Xenophobe » Fri 24 Dec 2010, 12:02:51

bratticus wrote:Why does that site look so much like FB? Well with the sidebars all missing and other extra stuff chopped out too. But look at the colors, fonts, etc. Totally FB.

I am not familiar with FB. My only opinion on the sites design is that it seems pretty canned, basic, dime a dozen design, fill in some of your own text and presto...instant boring website.
Xenophobe
Permanently Banned

Unread postby bratticus » Fri 24 Dec 2010, 12:10:08

Xenophobe wrote:I am not familiar with FB. My only opinion on the sites design is that it seems pretty canned, basic, dime a dozen design, fill in some of your own text and presto...instant boring website.

You have to realize that it takes zero savvy to build such a site. They all come out on a level playing field which invites those not in the know to participate. This is neither good nor bad, it's just an approach that creates a niche particular to it.

But if you were trying to bridge from FB to a personal site, wouldn't you want your personal site to look like the site you bridged from so as to not startle the viewer?
bratticus
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Xenophobe » Fri 24 Dec 2010, 14:38:11

bratticus wrote:You have to realize that it takes zero savvy to build such a site.

Cruel insult directed at another member deleted by moderators.

bratticus wrote:But if you were trying to bridge from FB to a personal site, wouldn't you want your personal site to look like the site you bridged from so as to not startle the viewer?

You got me. I'm not a web designer either, my computer experience runs to relational databases and predates the modern www. I still haven't wasted any time trying to figure out facebook and such things.
Xenophobe
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Cog » Fri 24 Dec 2010, 16:19:36

Why exactly are you a member of this board?
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Xenophobe » Fri 24 Dec 2010, 16:28:24

Cog wrote:Why exactly are you a member of this board?

Deleted by moderators
Xenophobe
Permanently Banned

Unread postby mos6507 » Fri 24 Dec 2010, 23:03:38

Not that long ago Shorty had a thread dedicated solely to challenging his cornucopianism. The guy loves to turn every thread into a discussion of HIM. The best way to deal with him is to just put him on ignore.
mos6507

The end of LATOC peak oil site as we know it?

Unread postby teotwawki » Fri 01 Apr 2011, 02:17:05

Dear Readers,

I believe there may be a conspiracy going on here. Did TPTB censor LATOC? I've been trying to get on that site all day today and it is taken down... all I see is a banner talking about something extreme pepper something and when I click on it it takes me to a Ready Store. Ready for what? I just want to see the Life After the Oil Crash page and all I get is spam... What is going on? Did NSA do a Denial of Service attack on Matt Savinar? Has his truther site made in on the Department of Homeland Security ICE domain takedown list? Or is this an some kind of injection attack? Please someone help explain. I not understand what is happening. Is my browser infected by malware? Is my ISP playing tricks on me? Why LATOC site not workings?!

What happened? to the lotac site?
Best,
teotwawki
Last edited by Ferretlover on Sat 02 Apr 2011, 20:45:17, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to Open Forum.
teotwawki
Wood
Wood

Re: The end of LATOC peak oil site as we know it?

Unread postby papa moose » Fri 01 Apr 2011, 02:32:09

AMbush marketing, the ready store was one of LATOCs main revenue streams, now they are just cutting out the "middle man" and paying Savinar to send everyone who visits his site directly to theirs.
Put your tin hat back on and make sure the expiry date on your meds is still valid.
"That really annoying person you know, the one who's always spouting bullshit, the person who always thinks they're right?
Well, the odds are that for somebody else, you're that person.
So take the amount you think you know, reduce it by 99.999%, and then you'll have an idea of how much you actually know..."
papa moose
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby teotwawki » Fri 01 Apr 2011, 02:37:17

papa moose wrote:AMbush marketing, the ready store was one of LATOCs main revenue streams, now they are just cutting out the "middle man" and paying Savinar to send everyone who visits his site directly to theirs.
Put your tin hat back on and make sure the expiry date on your meds is still valid.

Then why not simply make it a redirect? Why the need to click? Is Matt CIA just like the Assuage dude?
teotwawki
Wood
Wood

Unread postby papa moose » Fri 01 Apr 2011, 02:47:45

Yes, but don't tell anyone that it was me who said so.
"That really annoying person you know, the one who's always spouting bullshit, the person who always thinks they're right?
Well, the odds are that for somebody else, you're that person.
So take the amount you think you know, reduce it by 99.999%, and then you'll have an idea of how much you actually know..."
papa moose
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Sixstrings » Fri 01 Apr 2011, 13:11:04

teotwawki wrote:Then why not simply make it a redirect? Why the need to click? Is Matt CIA just like the Assuage dude?

Well teotawawki you must not be a serious doomer if you just noticed LATOC is down. ;)

There's a thread on this forum about it, I'm the one who started it.. think it's in Open. Just look in the open forum archives, look for LATOC.

Long story short.. it appears there was forum drama, a lot of it. Savinnar had a William Shatner moment and told all his fans to go get a life, that he wasn't going to be their "doom daddy" anymore. People kept bitching (maybe they should have let him win the argument) so he shut the forum down. Then he closed it for good and took up astrological readings.

I never posted at LATOC, but I lurked there a bit and read the breaking news. At the end of the day, you have to give him credit for putting so much energy into a project that probably made very little money. The breaking news was a free, and valuable service. It's too bad he couldn't have walked away from it all in a different way, but it is what it is.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Next

Return to Open Topic Discussion