Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The End of Global Warming : Snow in Downtown Auckland

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

The End of Global Warming : Snow in Downtown Auckland

Unread postby timmac » Sun 14 Aug 2011, 23:42:52

Its snowing in Auckland New Zealand, 1st time in 37 years..

LATEST: The white stuff has arrived in Auckland with snow flurries reported across the city.

Just after 2pm hail, sleet and snow began falling across the central city and people left their offices to watch the unusual event.

The snowfalls aren't heavy enough to settle on the ground, but temperatures are falling to reflect the big chill.

According to the SkyJump Facebook page, the temperature is a frigid 2.2 degrees at the top of the 328m high Sky Tower, with the windchill taking it down to an extraordinary -16.5 degrees.

She and her family have lived in the area for 40 years, and it was the second time she had snow. The last time was "about 36 or 37 years ago".

The Metservice says "ingredients are in place" for snow on One Tree Hill this afternoon if shower clouds hit the volcanic peak.

Bob McDavitt says snow was last reported in central Auckland during the 1960s. He says snow could hit One Tree Hill, which is 183m high, if all the right elements come together today.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/5444263/Snow-expected-on-hills
timmac
Permanently Banned

Re: The End of Global Warming : Snow in Downtown Auckland

Unread postby dolanbaker » Mon 15 Aug 2011, 00:17:40

http://www.landscheidt.info/images/sun_effects.jpg
Describes how reduced solar activity is affecting the weather patterns on the earth, the hot places get hotter summers & the cold places have cooler winters.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby timmac » Mon 15 Aug 2011, 01:30:19

A polar blast has hit New Zealand, bringing freezing temperatures and the heaviest snowfall in 40 years.

Snow is even predicted to fall on the hills around Auckland in what meteorologists are describing as a once-in-a-lifetime storm.

Schools across the country have been closed for the day and most airports are at a standstill.

The bitterly cold southerly blast has now brought snow to most of New Zealand, closing roads and some airports and cutting power to thousands of homes.

Snow has made roads impassable in many areas of both islands.

MetService head forecaster Peter Kreft told the New Zealand Herald the polar blast was "of the order of a 50-year'' event and warned it could last for several more days.

"It's a once-in-many-decades event. We are probably looking at something like, in terms of extent and severity, maybe 50 years,'' he said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-08-15/nz-cold-snap/2839654
timmac
Permanently Banned

Unread postby americandream » Mon 15 Aug 2011, 01:57:27

timmac wrote:Its snowing in Auckland New Zealand, 1st time in 37 years..

LATEST: The white stuff has arrived in Auckland with snow flurries reported across the city.

Just after 2pm hail, sleet and snow began falling across the central city and people left their offices to watch the unusual event.

The snowfalls aren't heavy enough to settle on the ground, but temperatures are falling to reflect the big chill.

According to the SkyJump Facebook page, the temperature is a frigid 2.2 degrees at the top of the 328m high Sky Tower, with the windchill taking it down to an extraordinary -16.5 degrees.

She and her family have lived in the area for 40 years, and it was the second time she had snow. The last time was "about 36 or 37 years ago".

The Metservice says "ingredients are in place" for snow on One Tree Hill this afternoon if shower clouds hit the volcanic peak.

Bob McDavitt says snow was last reported in central Auckland during the 1960s. He says snow could hit One Tree Hill, which is 183m high, if all the right elements come together today.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/5444263/Snow-expected-on-hills

We haven't had a winter to speak of and are in the midst of a bizarre polar surge. One of the other threads in the forum deals with these extremes and how they link in with what GW scientists are expecting. Simpletons will of course, find some comfort in the extreme winters whilst ignoring the extreme summers.

On the other hand, here is the link with all due credt to dohboi:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=tDAQ9lXzc1c
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby americandream » Mon 15 Aug 2011, 02:45:21

Incidentally, South Africa is also freezing as well.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby yeahbut » Mon 15 Aug 2011, 04:43:08

It's 'thinking' like the thinking that led to the title of this thread that may provide an insight into some of the reasons why so many people seem sceptical re AGW. Inability to look at the big picture, confirmation bias of the worst kind, total lack of research etc. The fact is that May 2011 in New Zealand was the warmest since records began, and June 2011 the third warmest. All easily available facts at the click of your mouse. Now we have a very cold few days due to a system drawing freezing air up from Antarctica and it's "the end of global warming". Simultaneously funny and depressing.

The snow was fun btw. It was over in a few minutes and didn't even come close to settling but it was certainly surreal in a town with palm trees and banana palms in many a yard. It was great seeing all the neighbours come out of their homes and run around like a bunch of kids, dunno what it is about snow but it really does bring out the child in people when they're not used to it :-D
yeahbut
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby americandream » Mon 15 Aug 2011, 04:47:50

yeahbut wrote:It's 'thinking' like the thinking that led to the title of this thread that may provide an insight into some of the reasons why so many people seem sceptical re AGW. Inability to look at the big picture, confirmation bias of the worst kind, total lack of research etc. The fact is that May 2011 in New Zealand was the warmest since records began, and June 2011 the third warmest. All easily available facts at the click of your mouse. Now we have a very cold few days due to a system drawing freezing air up from Antarctica and it's "the end of global warming". Simultaneously funny and depressing.

The snow was fun btw. It was over in a few minutes and didn't even come close to settling but it was certainly surreal in a town with palm trees and banana palms in many a yard. It was great seeing all the neighbours come out of their homes and run around like a bunch of kids, dunno what it is about snow but it really does bring out the child in people when they're not used to it :-D

Most of our region got it apart from our valley. Not even a hint of frost which we are prone to....weird.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby timmac » Mon 15 Aug 2011, 13:20:50

Yea where is this GLOBAL warming at, if its supposed to be GLOBAL why has it not, hot here, cold there, normal over there, sounds like normal to me.

[smilie=bs.gif]
timmac
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Pops » Mon 15 Aug 2011, 13:28:48

timmac wrote:Yea where is this GLOBAL warming at,

It's been more than 300 months since the average global average temperature was below average, scientists and the U.S. government said in the annual State of the Climate report released Tuesday.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43565301/ns ... vironment/

You could call it "Global Above Averaging" I guess if it makes you feel better.

H/T Cid

ETA, that story was from the end of June.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby timmac » Mon 15 Aug 2011, 13:38:07

Pops wrote:

It's been more than 300 months since the average global average temperature was below average, scientists and the U.S. government said in the annual State of the Climate report released Tuesday.

So its been just a little over average for the past 25 years, is that about when the airports started to get larger and the heat island effect of temp readings got a little hotter.
[they do take temp readings at airports around the world]

What I am trying to say is you surly can't go with the GW camp temp readings, they have been found false and fraud to justify their means..
timmac
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Pops » Mon 15 Aug 2011, 14:30:47

timmac wrote:What I am trying to say is you surly can't go with the GW camp temp readings, they have been found false and fraud to justify their means..

NOAA is in the GW camp? Good to know.

I'm really in no camp on GW. On the surface the theory seems plausible but then so did the coming ice age back whenever. But you must admit that 300 months with no below average temps does seem like a trend.

What is obvious though, is quite a few people such as yourself seem to be firmly entrenched in denying any evidence of global warming and grasping at any cold weather anomaly to deny climate change - a stance that strikes me as odd if you are actually trying to be objective. The more you and Rush point out every big snowstorm as proof the climate is not becoming warmer the more I'm beginning to think there might be something to the whole thing.

As for overlooking the effects of growing airports or whatever, maybe you should send an email to the NOAA or the AMS explaining this flaw, I'm sure they'll be happy to find where they've been mistaken. They have enough problems as it is and I know they'll be happy to put this one to rest.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby peeker01 » Mon 15 Aug 2011, 14:44:02

NOAA is well aware of the heat island effect. There is a correction factor they apply to urban
temperature data to make it more realistic. I can only guess that that the correction factor isn't
appropriate if the surface data doesn't mirror ocean and satellite data.

Yes, NOAA is on the AGW bandwagon bigtime. Big problems mean big funding for gument
agencies. Notice how NASA is in charge of the ocean bouy data through JPL. I bet it was a huge
fight who would get that data and have the first shot at massaging it. Just like the Hubble
Telescope, the ocean data bouys didn't work right at first. Now that they are "repaired", the
cooling data indicated is now only stable temperature data.
peeker01
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Serial_Worrier » Mon 15 Aug 2011, 15:06:15

yeahbut wrote:It's 'thinking' like the thinking that led to the title of this thread that may provide an insight into some of the reasons why so many people seem sceptical re AGW. Inability to look at the big picture, confirmation bias of the worst kind, total lack of research etc. The fact is that May 2011 in New Zealand was the warmest since records began, and June 2011 the third warmest. All easily available facts at the click of your mouse. Now we have a very cold few days due to a system drawing freezing air up from Antarctica and it's "the end of global warming". Simultaneously funny and depressing.

Big picture being, let's enact ruinous carbon taxes and shut down coal plants, nuclear plants. All in the name of the Green Goddess.
Serial_Worrier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Pops » Mon 15 Aug 2011, 15:33:22

Ah, so it's a government conspiracy.

Got it.

I think this is probably what makes most sense to me:
"Although there remains active discussion among scientists on many details about the pace and effects of climate change, no leading science organization disagrees that human activities are now changing the Earth's climate," said study researcher Lawrence Hamilton, professor of sociology and senior fellow with the Carsey Institute. "The strong scientific agreement on this point contrasts with the partisan disagreement seen on all of our surveys."

http://www.livescience.com/13851-climat ... lines.html

I'm sure it has lots to do with the idea that the government is going to restrict our freedoms to go forth and multiply, have dominion, socialize external costs, lower taxes and all that. Perfectly reasonable when you consider that half of Americans believe the earth is only 6k years old.

Anyway, I'm not going to argue about it, all 'science organizations' agree the climate is changing. Conservatives simply never will, after all, a lot of what they believe is magic is it not? They deny all evidence for evolution because Creation is the basis of their faith - denying evidence for GW is easy.

After all, you can't change faith with mere evidence or it wouldn't be faith, isn't that the lesson from Job?
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby dolanbaker » Mon 15 Aug 2011, 15:35:41

IRELAND’S soggy summer is the coldest since records began 25 years ago — and forecasters last night wrote off the rest of summer, warning of regular washouts and no hot weather.

Met Éireann statistics reveal temperatures have been below average at 10 of their 12 main weather stations.

The average summer temperature at the central Ireland station of Mullingar, Co Westmeath, was just 11.6C in June.

It is the lowest June average temperature recorded at the station since Met Éireann began publishing records in 1986.

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/kf ... z1V7z0YVrB

It's cold here as well and this is after two really cold winters in a row, warmists!
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Mon 15 Aug 2011, 15:39:53

GASMON wrote:Where does this global warming occur ? - I'll book a holiday there !!

Texas. Bring bottled water and don't trip over the dead cows. Also bring a Bible and stick it on your car rental dashboard so you fit in with everyone.

Alternatively, it's always been warm in Florida global warming or not. Buy yourself a holiday home, it's a buyer's market and your pound goes far.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Sixstrings » Mon 15 Aug 2011, 15:43:21

americandream wrote:Incidentally, South Africa is also freezing as well.

Well.. this is the southern hemisphere we're talking about, it *is* winter down there right?

The record snow in Chile was unusual, but still it's winter..
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby peeker01 » Mon 15 Aug 2011, 16:06:05

Pops - Your posts are becoming so condescending, convoluted and disrespectful, I have to think
we are rapidly approaching the tipping point.

I have met one person in my life who told me the earth is 6000 years old. Are you trying to
say that all Christians believe this in 2011?
peeker01
Permanently Banned

Unread postby americandream » Mon 15 Aug 2011, 16:18:21

Sixstrings wrote:
americandream wrote:Incidentally, South Africa is also freezing as well.

Well.. this is the southern hemisphere we're talking about, it *is* winter down there right?

The record snow in Chile was unusual, but still it's winter..

Unusual winters and inusual summers and the probability factor discussed in dohboi's link which I attached to my post, calls for consideration.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Next

Return to Open Topic Discussion