Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Large fish kill on the Pearl River

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Large fish kill on the Pearl River

Unread postby timmac » Mon 15 Aug 2011, 22:04:18

I hope this is not starting again, didn't we have a rash of this stuff about a year ago.

Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries units along with the Louisiana Department of Environmental Quality are responding to a large fish kill on the Pearl River, south of Bogalusa. A spokesperson with the Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries tells FOX 8 that both agencies are running tests to determine the cause.

Biologists with the Wildlife and Fisheries are running tests to check for levels of dissolved oxygen in the water. DEQ officials are testing for environmental concerns. The area that is being tested on the Pearl River is from Bogalusa south to the town of Walkiah Bluff. Nearby residents tell FOX 8 that some of the freshwater fish that they see floating include bass, drum and catfish.

http://www.fox8live.com/news/local/story/Large-fish-kill-on-the-Pearl-River/qeQ1lLvvsEag28XL_Fr8Vw.cspx
timmac
Permanently Banned

Re: Large fish kill on the Pearl River

Unread postby timmac » Mon 15 Aug 2011, 23:36:55

pstarr wrote:Why did you post this?

Because this is fact, even pics to back it up, unlike GW temps, why you so condescending..

:razz:
timmac
Permanently Banned

Unread postby careinke » Tue 16 Aug 2011, 00:50:09

Or the state could sue those responsible for punitive damages and make an example out of them.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Tue 16 Aug 2011, 01:11:30

It's the same thing that is happening in Texas. Oxygen levels drop in the deep water forcing the fish up to the surface where the water is too warm.

Trapped between too little oxygen and too hot water.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby AgentR11 » Tue 16 Aug 2011, 01:47:58

The heated surface water doesn't hold as much O2 either...

O2 solubility in water
Little chemistry for one and all to enjoy.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby careinke » Tue 16 Aug 2011, 04:45:21

pstarr wrote:
careinke wrote:Or the state could sue those responsible for punitive damages and make an example out of them.
You must represent the trial lawyers?

No, the Libertarians.
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby sjn » Tue 16 Aug 2011, 06:37:21

careinke wrote:
pstarr wrote:
careinke wrote:Or the state could sue those responsible for punitive damages and make an example out of them.
You must represent the trial lawyers?

No, the Libertarians.

Without environmental protection regulation what right would the state government have to prosecute? Why would you even need a state goverment in a Libertarian system? Wouldn't the business leaders/wealthy take care of state infrastructure and services in their own enlightened self-interest? Honestly curious.
sjn
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Cloud9 » Tue 16 Aug 2011, 07:06:27

Bush did it. :-D Oh we could shut down the Chinese coal powered plants. Good luck with that.
Cloud9
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby timmac » Tue 16 Aug 2011, 14:49:08

pstarr wrote:This event could only be prevented by environmental law, regulatory oversight, and strict enforcement. But morons like you hate environmental regulations and have gutted environmental police forces. Thus this crap is your responsibility.

Take it. Make excuses. Have at it.

We have good environmental laws in America already, thats one of the reasons manufacturing has moved to China, but you GW Dictators want more stricter laws as your post as indicated, stricter laws don't stop factories from breaking the laws its just makes what few we have left leave for China.

Really you have no clue do you, if you GW Dictators ever get control of America we will all be unemployed or working in camps, extremely high taxes and will have to pay for our air to breathe..

We do need a revolution here and I know just where to start.. :shock:
timmac
Permanently Banned

Unread postby careinke » Tue 16 Aug 2011, 19:49:30

But you did not respond to my point. How would a libertarian small government proponent monitor, discover, prosecute and penalize violators of the common environment?

I thin k civil courts would be the one part of government that would expand under a libertarian system. It is a civil (pun intended) way to settle disputes.

In Washington, if a neighbor accidentally cuts down your tree, he is subject to triple damages for the value of the tree. It seems to be enough of a deterrent that this rarely happens.
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Wed 17 Aug 2011, 02:13:07

timmac wrote:
pstarr wrote:This event could only be prevented by environmental law, regulatory oversight, and strict enforcement. But morons like you hate environmental regulations and have gutted environmental police forces. Thus this crap is your responsibility.
Take it. Make excuses. Have at it.

We have good environmental laws in America already, thats one of the reasons manufacturing has moved to China, but you GW Dictators want more stricter laws as your post as indicated, stricter laws don't stop factories from breaking the laws its just makes what few we have left leave for China.

Really you have no clue do you, if you GW Dictators ever get control of America we will all be unemployed or working in camps, extremely high taxes and will have to pay for our air to breathe..

We do need a revolution here and I know just where to start.. :shock:
He has no clue?
You're the one talking about a revolution so we can get some of that freedom like China has.
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby careinke » Wed 17 Aug 2011, 12:25:14

pstarr wrote:
careinke wrote:
But you did not respond to my point. How would a libertarian small government proponent monitor, discover, prosecute and penalize violators of the common environment?

I thin k civil courts would be the one part of government that would expand under a libertarian system. It is a civil (pun intended) way to settle disputes.

In Washington, if a neighbor accidentally cuts down your tree, he is subject to triple damages for the value of the tree. It seems to be enough of a deterrent that this rarely happens.
Jesus christ. If environmental damage were as simple as some guy cutting down a tree? Things are more complicated in the real (vs. the teaparty world). What if the guy next store spills mercury down his drain and your child gets brain damage? Does the neighbor get quad damages. Does he get quad damages from the other 100 kids who get brain damage? This kind of thing happens all the time. But it is mostly out of sight.

It was a friggen example. Do you have trouble extrapolating? So with your example, do you need a policeman in every kitchen to make sure the guy does not pour the mercury down the sink? Maybe we should outlaw Elements? Grow up.
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby careinke » Wed 17 Aug 2011, 13:36:45

Really? I have no idea what the criminal penalty for dumping Hg down the drain is. I'd bet most people don't. How many laws are there P? You should know that if you know exactly what the criminal penalties are for everything?

I could know that if I cause damage to someone else, I am responsible for triple the damages.
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Next

Return to Open Topic Discussion